Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Graphite Edge TXE (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450791)

klementine79 01-13-2013 03:05 PM

Head Graphite Edge TXE

So I'm having dinner with my wife and my parents and we start talking about tennis. My step-dad says to go through his old frames and if we see anything we like, to take it. So I did.

I'm gonna do some research on it, have heard of them but know nothing, other than that they were made in the US, it's 340gr strung and has a 16x18 pattern.

klementine79 01-13-2013 03:13 PM

The grommets are in decent shape. The leather seems playable. No cracks. Seems like a solid frame. I don't know how many sq.in the face is but the bag and racquet seem to be of very high quality materials.

I want to re-string, re-grip and if I can somehow replace some grommets or the entire bumper (don't know how hard that would be to obtain) and take it out for a spin. But then I thought, maybe this puppy is worth something? Is it?

At any rate, it might be about time to start collecting some of these classic frames, in particular Head frames, I've long enjoyed variations of the PrestigeMid. I'm 33 y.o., so the majority are before my time (many before I was born).

If anybody has any facts/impressions about this frame, they would be appreciated. I'll keep on researching.

Steve Huff 01-13-2013 05:40 PM

Nice of him to give it to you. Now the big question--what else did he have?

klementine79 01-13-2013 05:57 PM

A lot of aluminum frames (Donnays, ProKennex and wilson's) that I can't remember the names of, some woodies in very bad condition and a few more graphite sticks. ProKennex Boron (something like that) a wilson sting and another head frame, a grey one, similar to the TXE but all the markings were rubbed off.

He's given me some frames over the past years (especially when I was younger), the only one I have left is an adidas GTX pro (the red one) and an old Rawlings (1962) woodie my mother gave to me.

klementine79 01-13-2013 06:05 PM

I laid it on top of an MgPresMid and it's significantly smaller (the TXE edge), my guess is around 80sq.in.

The leather grip has Babolat finishing tape on it. Maybe he switched the grip out? Doesn't seem like that kind of guy. Did Babolat provide the leather grips for Head racquets once upon a time?

Still don't know what it's made out of. It doesn't say 'Twaron' or fiberglass, just graphite. Checked out some auctions and the prices vary, based on condition.

I'd like to keep it. Do a loose grommet fix on the 2 or 3 grommets that are cracked and swap the leather out.

vsbabolat 01-13-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klementine79 (Post 7117749)
I laid it on top of an MgPresMid and it's significantly smaller (the TXE edge), my guess is around 80sq.in.

The leather grip has Babolat finishing tape on it. Maybe he switched the grip out? Doesn't seem like that kind of guy. Did Babolat provide the leather grips for Head racquets once upon a time?

Still don't know what it's made out of. It doesn't say 'Twaron' or fiberglass, just graphite. Checked out some auctions and the prices vary, based on condition.

I'd like to keep it. Do a loose grommet fix on the 2 or 3 grommets that are cracked and swap the leather out.

That's not Babolat finishing tape on the racquet. That's Babolat head protection tape that was put on to replace the finishing tape. A common practice back in the day when you did not have any finishing tape. That looks like the original grip that came with the racquet.

There is no Twaron in the TXE. Its graphite and fiberglass.

Head size is 81 sq.in.

klementine79 01-14-2013 04:24 AM

Thanks for that VS, was hoping you'd chime-in.

I'm guessing this series came out after the Graphite Edge 2 and was right before the Comp Master/Graphite Master? So what, circa 1985?

I'm wondering if it's worth fixing up. It looks to be in very good shape. The strings haven't eaten through the bridge yet (as this is quite common from what I've read) and the grip, although pushed back in two spots, is still playable. Replace a grommet or two and it's good to go.

Should I play with it? I mean, is this thing worth anything?

For a 30 year old racquet, it's holding up nice. Don't understand why some people don't cut the strings out of some of these classic frames when stored?

vsbabolat 01-14-2013 05:45 AM

The Graphite Edge TXE came out after the Graphite Edge.
The Graphite Edge TXE came out in 1984. Yours with the USA Flag on it is a is a later production from 1985. It was before the Graphite Pro/Comp Pro line.
The Graphite Edge 2 came out 1988.

max 01-14-2013 06:28 AM

I remember seeing that frame. It's nice. I used to use a graphite Edge back then, an excellent and responsive frame. You should play with this.

mad dog1 01-14-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klementine79 (Post 7117225)
I want to re-string, re-grip and if I can somehow replace some grommets or the entire bumper (don't know how hard that would be to obtain) and take it out for a spin. But then I thought, maybe this puppy is worth something? Is it?

very hard. i don't know anywhere that still has grommet strips for the TXE. you might need to cut up a head grommet set and piece it together. will be a challenge for sure. best to grind out the 2 or 3 grommets that are split or cracked with a grommet grinder and then drop in a Fittex individual grommet.

mad dog1 01-14-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klementine79 (Post 7117749)

i believe the TXE and TXD came w/ Fairway leather grips so you should be able to clean it up and restore it w/ some castor oil.

klementine79 01-14-2013 03:07 PM

Thanks for the tips MadDog. Castor oil? Huh... got a bottle lying around somewhere. Would olive oil work as well?

That's the plan. Re-store it (the little work it needs) and enjoy it.

Don't see much of a resale market for them anyway, so might as well have some fun with it.

klementine79 01-14-2013 03:08 PM

Fairway leather grips? Nice.

vsbabolat 01-14-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klementine79 (Post 7120280)
Thanks for the tips MadDog. Castor oil? Huh... got a bottle lying around somewhere. Would olive oil work as well?

Don't see much of a resale market for them anyway, so might as well have some fun with it.

You will have a blast hitting with it. Nothing like the feel of those older racquets.

mad dog1 01-15-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klementine79 (Post 7120280)

here are the care instructions from Fairway...i wouldn't recommend using olive oil.

The Fairway grip is the best in the world.

It is produced from the finest calf skin obtainable and will retain its tackiness indefinitely, provided you look after it.

You will find after considerable use your grip appears to be losing its “tack.” This is only because it needs cleaning and the best way of doing this is to saturate a cloth in methylated spirits (denatured wood alcohol) and rub it over the grip (this will remove all the dirt which has collected on the surface).

Allow about half an hour for the spirit to evaporate from the leather, then apply a small quantity of castor oil.

Allow eight hours for the oil to penetrate into the leather and your grip will be ready for use and will again feel as good as new.

Do not apply too much castor oil as this will result in making the grip greasy.

We strongly advise you to ask your Professional to carry out the treatment recommended by us in this folder.

E. B. BALMFORTH LTD
2/4 MEANWOOD ROAD
LEEDS LS7 2AD

klementine79 01-15-2013 03:48 PM

^Thanks.

Amazing how much quality and craftsmanship was put into these 'classic' frames, not to mention better materials.

A shame I missed this era of racquets. Everything nowadays seems cheap, rushed and over-marketed.

AlfaAce 01-15-2013 07:01 PM

I had a "TXP". What is the difference between a "TXE" and a "TXP"???

vsbabolat 01-15-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7124289)

There are a lot of differences between the two. Head size, string pattern, composition, feel, flex. To make it really simple The TXP=Prestige Pro.:)

yonexRx32 01-16-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7124289)

About $100 on the used market.

klementine79 01-16-2013 08:34 AM

The TXP has full caps, 18x20 pattern and is 89.5sq.in.?!.... so this is the first or pre-cursor to the PrestigeMid?

Seems like it was produced much later than the graphite edge TXE and has twaron.

Very nice racquet. Too bad I can't find a used one under $150.