Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Relaxed Tennis, Effortless Tennis website? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450793)

high and deep 01-13-2013 03:41 PM

Relaxed Tennis, Effortless Tennis website?

I saw a website a few weeks ago with videos that dedicated to teaching players to play with relaxed strokes using as little effort as possible. I was going to look through it but went to dinner and when I returned one of my kids closed the browser and I can't find it again. I searched yahoo, google etc. but the sites that came up were not the same.

If you know of the site I am talking about or know of any, please provide a link.

thank you.

Paul

tennis_balla 01-13-2013 03:50 PM

Check your browser history, should still be there.

psv255 01-13-2013 04:29 PM

I believe you are talking about feeltennis.net.
The coach who runs the website recently put up a vid with "minimum effort" drills.

high and deep 01-13-2013 05:19 PM

thanks. paul

luvforty 01-14-2013 04:30 PM

this is funny -

so I watched this video on feeltennis and used the method this evening... definitely feel lot more relaxed and didn't spend nearly as much energy.. this is a great tip!

problem is I don't feel like I was playing with any intensity... felt like relaxed sleep walk out there.

LeeD 01-14-2013 04:35 PM

Like Murray ripsawing thru Haase today in Ausieland.
Little effort, big rewards.

luvforty 01-14-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7120487)
Like Murray ripsawing thru Haase today in Ausieland.
Little effort, big rewards.

i know - this is the way to go.... just gonna take a few hits to adjust the mentality.

sureshs 01-14-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7120482)
this is funny -

so I watched this video on feeltennis and used the method this evening... definitely feel lot more relaxed and didn't spend nearly as much energy.. this is a great tip!

problem is I don't feel like I was playing with any intensity... felt like relaxed sleep walk out there.

He advises to get the feel by playing passively and let the ball move the racket. But after that in a real game, this is not feasible.

luvforty 01-14-2013 05:27 PM

no... the point is relaxation and generate pace with minimum effort.. you can do this in game.

sureshs 01-14-2013 05:33 PM

That is called good technique. Of course relaxed is good. For example, keeping a relaxed arm in a serve.

But beware of anyone peddling feel, effortlessness, holistic approach, etc.

They will twist the words to accomodate any situation. You can never prove them wrong. Saying Murray is relaxed is easy. To understand what it means and it it useful to you is a different matter. I play my best when I am relaxed on Sunday compared to on Friday night. But it is not to be made into a philosophy and packaged as some secret.

The guy's forehand analysis is very good - rotation and extension through the ball towards the target.

jakeytennis 01-14-2013 05:47 PM

i like to feel relaxed physically while playing tennis. i just try to keep my face muscles relaxed
i still run and swing hard, but i try to minimize unnecessary muscle tension

sureshs 01-14-2013 06:07 PM

^^^^ Sounds great. The important thing is to keep the analysis to the applicable situations. For example, if Murray wins, saying he is relaxed, and if he loses, he is not relaxed, is not right.

slowfox 01-14-2013 07:00 PM

I tried the "roll the ball" mentality today. Overall positive results. I was getting some wicked top on my forehand which is usually kinda flat and blah. So I'm happy with holistic, for now...

toly 01-14-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeytennis (Post 7120745)
i like to feel relaxed physically while playing tennis. i just try to keep my face muscles relaxed
i still run and swing hard, but i try to minimize unnecessary muscle tension

Does Murray really look relaxed? What can you say about his face and left arm muscles? There is tension everywhere and no relaxation in pro tennis. :(

Cheetah 01-14-2013 08:08 PM

No relaxation in pro tennis? another great quote from toly.

Toly, what is that a picture of? just curious.

toly 01-14-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7121131)
No relaxation in pro tennis? another great quote from toly.

Toly, what is that a picture of? just curious.

There is quotation and pictures from Prof. Rod Cross article.

He stated, “Why do players stretch the fingers of their free hand? Don’t ask me, I don’t know. My guess is that when players tense their muscles to hit a shot, they tense all their muscles, not just the ones they need to tense (about 95% of them)”. :confused:

So, I have good company. :)

NLBwell 01-14-2013 08:47 PM

As you throw your free hand toward the ball, you need to tense your arm/hand to stop its motion to point at the ball.

Cheetah 01-14-2013 08:55 PM

well, i guess that proves it. there is no relaxation in pro tennis. they are all tense all the time for all shots.

Cheetah 01-14-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7121214)
As you throw your free hand toward the ball, you need to tense your arm/hand to stop its motion to point at the ball.

they put tension in the off hand while extending in order to pull it over quicker during the swing to increase rotation speed.

toly 01-14-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7121214)

Usually every rule has exceptions.:)