Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   measuring out string (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450811)

EastAngels2014 01-13-2013 08:10 PM

measuring out string

So i am new to stringing and i have done a few racquets and on most of them i have barely had enough to tie off any suggestions on how to have more string? It happens when i am doing two piece. So if add length to the 1st half of the set will the 2nd half still have enough to string with?

Faithfulfather 01-13-2013 08:15 PM

You need more string for the mains and less for the crosses. It also depends on the type of racquet. Oversized racquets usually need 21' for the mains. I usually use 20' for the mains and have plenty left. It also depends on the type of machine your stringing on. My wise head is like 4" from my racquet.

EastAngels2014 01-13-2013 08:19 PM

i am using a gamma progression II

Lakers4Life 01-13-2013 08:31 PM

Crosses will typically use 2 feet less than the mains. If you string the same racket often, you will notice how much cut off you have after the mains and crosses. When looking up string patterns, they are usually pretty generous when it comes to string lengths, even with a DW.

It's always good to have a starting clamp as a bridge, just in case, no matter what.

mikeler 01-14-2013 07:34 AM

This site is a good resource for string lengths:

http://www.klipperusa.com/stringing/manufacturers.php

TennisCJC 01-15-2013 07:52 AM

Mikeler's site is excellent as it includes recommended main and cross string lengths. I have found that you can usually go 1 foot shorter than the Klipper site recommends - if they say 20'x19' (M&C), you can usually go 19'x18'. I would use there recommendation the first time, then adjust down a foot if you have extra length.

mikeler 01-15-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7122113)
Mikeler's site is excellent as it includes recommended main and cross string lengths. I have found that you can usually go 1 foot shorter than the Klipper site recommends - if they say 20'x19' (M&C), you can usually go 19'x18'. I would use there recommendation the first time, then adjust down a foot if you have extra length.

On stretchy strings like multifilaments, I have also found this to be the case. With polys, I'd stick to the Klipper numbers.

TennisCJC 01-16-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7122480)
On stretchy strings like multifilaments, I have also found this to be the case. With polys, I'd stick to the Klipper numbers.

It probably varies by racket. I can go a foot lower than Klipper recommendation on poly or multi for my racket. But, I would use their recommendation the 1st time to be sure. It would be a pain to come up short.

mikeler 01-16-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7125577)
It probably varies by racket. I can go a foot lower than Klipper recommendation on poly or multi for my racket. But, I would use their recommendation the 1st time to be sure. It would be a pain to come up short.

Exactly. I'd rather waste a little extra string then start over after I come up short.

Irvin 01-16-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7117929)
So i am new to stringing and i have done a few racquets and on most of them i have barely had enough to tie off any suggestions on how to have more string? It happens when i am doing two piece. So if add length to the 1st half of the set will the 2nd half still have enough to string with?

Since you are talking about half sets I assume you are using sets and not reels. I divide the string in half and cut 6" from the center point. The long string is for mains and the short string for crosses.

When stringing one piece (not ATW) I measure 7 racket lengths for the short side. I use the short side to string 5 crosses when the mains end and the long side for the remainder of the crosses.

pvaudio 01-16-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7126179)
Since you are talking about half sets I assume you are using sets and not reels. I divide the string in half and cut 6" from the center point. The long string is for mains and the short string for crosses.

When stringing one piece (not ATW) I measure 7 racket lengths for the short side. I use the short side to string 5 crosses when the mains end and the long side for the remainder of the crosses.

I do this as well, having had to bridge far too many sets of mains and having leftovers on the crosses.

Topspin101 01-17-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7126501)
I do this as well, having had to bridge far too many sets of mains and having leftovers on the crosses.

How do you bridge the mains? If you end up short what do you do? Probably a silly question!

Thanks/Don

Irvin 01-17-2013 11:11 AM

There are loops on the outside of the clamp. Clamp the string you want to bridge and put a loop of string through the hole to bridge. See the jumper in http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/startingclamp.htm

Topspin101 01-17-2013 11:46 AM

I may have mis-stated my question. You are short the needed length to complete X's or M's. Do you tie off where you can and continue with new string or scrap the whole deal and start over?

Lakers4Life 01-17-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin101 (Post 7129522)
I may have mis-stated my question. You are short the needed length to complete X's or M's. Do you tie off where you can and continue with new string or scrap the whole deal and start over?

You can patch it, but no one does that anymore. Most likely you will have to start over. If you have at least 6 inches of string after the final Main or Cross you might be able to tie off, but you will definately need a bridge to be able to pull tension.

Irvin 01-17-2013 12:40 PM

Patching is not a good thing. You could also end up down at the bottom with no place to tie off depending on the racket and you may have to open up another grommet hole. I would just start over with enough string.

Topspin101 01-18-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7129562)
You can patch it, but no one does that anymore. Most likely you will have to start over. If you have at least 6 inches of string after the final Main or Cross you might be able to tie off, but you will definately need a bridge to be able to pull tension.

Thank you. Now I understand what a bridge is...