Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who is the female Tennis GOAT? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450818)

Prisoner of Birth 01-13-2013 08:10 PM

Who is the female Tennis GOAT?

Vote, please :)

roysid 01-13-2013 08:15 PM

Martina for me.

Talker 01-13-2013 08:17 PM

Steffi
Martina
Evert

v-verb 01-13-2013 08:21 PM

Gotta be Steffi. She forced Martina to up her game to compete and I would say Steffi changed the women's game

cc0509 01-13-2013 08:25 PM

Graf and then below her:

Navratilova
Evert

SystemicAnomaly 01-13-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7118103)
Gotta be Steffi. She forced Martina to up her game to compete and I would say Steffi changed the women's game

Actually, all the women listed in this poll have had a significant/profound impact on the women's game. I would add others such a Justine Henin, Evonne Goolagong, Kim Clijsters and Suzanne Lenglen to that discussion.

As for overall accomplishments, I would have to agree that Seffi Graf belongs on the top of the list followed by Martina N. Not sure who would be next but it would be either Chris Evert or Margaret Court. Billie Jean King and Serena Williams would be contenders for the 5th slot in my book.

SwankPeRFection 01-13-2013 09:21 PM

Can't really vote because I think if Seles wouldn't have been hurt she would have shut down Graf that day. But overall with what's on the table today, you'd have to pick Graf from that list.

NadalAgassi 01-13-2013 09:23 PM

It depends what your criteria is:

Overall achievements in singles and doubles without an asterix: Navratilova
Overall achievements in singles and doubles ignoring a blatant asterix (Australian Open, joke slam then): Court
Overall achievements focusing mostly on singles without an asterix: Wills Moody or Evert
Overall achievements focusing mostly on singles ignoring a blatant asterix (stabbing and attempted murder of arch rival: Graf
Peak level of play, longevity, and overall quality of competition: Serena
Most utter dominance at the youngest age and most obvious what if robbed of GOAT career: Connolly
Total dominance thoughout career with sparse play outside of own territory: Lenglen

The only top 10 women all time with no GOAT claims would be King and Seles.

nikdom 01-13-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0509 (Post 7118109)
Graf and then below her:

Navratilova
Evert

+1
Ding ding ding ding.

SystemicAnomaly 01-13-2013 10:16 PM

Very curious that Evert has been mentioned quite a few times in the thread thus far as a 3rd choice after Graf and Navratilova. However, she has garnered no votes whereas Serena is in 2nd place in the poll at this point. I suspect that these votes might be coming from some who have very little awareness of tennis prior to the past 6-10 years.

smiley_face 01-14-2013 12:12 AM

GŁnter Parche.

LittleTinGoddess 01-14-2013 12:13 AM

Who cares? Watching women's sports is like watching the Special Olympics.

smiley_face 01-14-2013 12:17 AM

Imo, Graf herself feels ashamed about the tittle GOAT if any, we all know how she's owned by Seles before the Hamburg stabbing. It's a disgrace to tennis, to Germany and to some extent, to Graff.

Prisoner of Birth 01-14-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiley_face (Post 7118426)
Imo, Graf herself feels ashamed about the tittle GOAT if any, we all know how she's owned by Seles before the Hamburg stabbing. It's a disgrace to tennis, to Germany and to some extent, to Graff.

What's a tittle goat?

rossi46 01-14-2013 04:01 AM

It's between Navratilova and Graf for the GOAT.

Serena is the ELEPHANT

TennisFan436 01-14-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossi46 (Post 7118748)
It's between Navratilova and Graf for the GOAT.

Serena is the ELEPHANT

What do you mean by "elephant" ?

TennisFan436 01-14-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleTinGoddess (Post 7118420)
Who cares? Watching women's sports is like watching the Special Olympics.

You, sir, are a royal arse.

If you have no respect for women's tennis why the h*ll are you in this thread?

Idiots reign freely on this forum, I see.

Masayoshi 01-14-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

How many majors more do you think Seles would have stolen from Graf? Even if it's 4, that would put Graf even with the other two ladies.

It really is too bad we'll never know. Maybe Seles would have been to Graf what Nadal is to Federer. Or maybe they could have had one of the all-time great rivalries.

kiki 01-14-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

....and Hingis owned Seles so ....

mistik 01-14-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 7118845)
....and Hingis owned Seles so ....

With all the respect to Hingis she only owned way past her prime Seles who is no longer the same player after stabbing anyway.
On the other hand ı dont believe Seles was what Nadal to Fed. Seles never manage to beat Graf on a fast surface even before the stabbing.There was a time after 89 Graf begin to lose the likes of old Navratilova,Sabatini and her other rivals.Seles won 3 majors in 91 there was no Graf waiting for her in the finals.If not Seles stabbing we would have watched more RG finals like 92,which Seles won 10-8 in the third.It wasnt like Seles looks so dominant against Graf on clay.İt was Graf who looks so dominant against Seles on faster surfaces.I still believe Graf would have won 18 major titles even without the Seles stabbing.I gave 93 95 96 RG titles to Monica plus 94 AO.