Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Can you call your own let? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450827)

directionals 01-13-2013 10:34 PM

Can you call your own let?
 
I played a USTA match today and my component called his own let after doing one of his serves. I returned the ball for a winner. He said he called a let but I said the server can't call his own let. Who is right?

eyedropper 01-13-2013 10:58 PM

The server can call a let on their own serve. They need to actually verbally call let though. Not just say "oh by the way it was a let" after your winner goes past them

Fearsome Forehand 01-13-2013 11:02 PM

You would have to consult the rules. One would think in a casual match, fine. In a the official rules apply match, no as generally, all calls are made by the player on the active side of the net, lines, serves in or out, etc.

However, according to the USTA site, the answer is yes, a server can call an unheard by others let ( presumably as long as he does so immediately not after a ten ball rally. )

Seems like a weird rule to me. If the receiver, doesn't hear/notice a let, it must not have been much of a let and I would say play on, but evidently, the rules say otherwise.

From the USTA site:

If my opponent serves and I call a let, but he does not agree, who has the final say?

Few people know this, but according to "The Code, a Players' Guide to Unofficiated Matches", any player (in singles or doubles) can call a service let (ball touching the net). It must be done promptly. Usually the receiver(s) make the call and many players on the serving side decide not to get involved with the call thinking maybe they were mistaken.

If the server hears a clear let and the receiver does not call it, it is best for the server to call it ASAP. Otherwise, the server hears a let and the receiver hits a winner, and after some hesitation, the server asks "Did you hear a let?" That is always difficult situation to resolve after the point has been played.

North 01-14-2013 03:24 AM

Either the server or receiver can call a service let. It just needs to be a prompt call, so as not to allow either player the proverbial "two bites at the apple".

Cindysphinx 01-14-2013 05:02 AM

And there is no need to say, "Let! Did anyone else hear a let?"

If you heard it, call it with confidence.

If you aren't sure, keep quiet and play on.

slowfox 01-14-2013 09:48 AM

What do they do in college tennis? I vaguely recall reading about "no lets" or something to cut down on cheating and gamesmanship. No sure though.

dizzlmcwizzl 01-14-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7119415)
What do they do in college tennis? I vaguely recall reading about "no lets" or something to cut down on cheating and gamesmanship. No sure though.

Yep ... college players play the lets. To often these players would yell let after any Ace ... so they just removed the let from the game

Big_Dangerous 01-14-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7119420)
Yep ... college players play the lets. To often these players would yell let after any Ace ... so they just removed the let from the game

God that has to be so infuriating when the ball hits the net and just trickles over double bouncing before you can get there. And on the flip side it has to be a nightmare for the server to hit a let that takes a lot of the pace off the ball, but it's enough to just sit up there for the receiver to punish it for a winner.

I can't imagine playing lets in the pro game, it would be so ridiculous.

dizzlmcwizzl 01-14-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 7119438)
God that has to be so infuriating when the ball hits the net and just trickles over double bouncing before you can get there. And on the flip side it has to be a nightmare for the server to hit a let that takes a lot of the pace off the ball, but it's enough to just sit up there for the receiver to punish it for a winner.

I can't imagine playing lets in the pro game, it would be so ridiculous.

It really does not happen that often. They play lets in WTT and this has little to no effect on match results.

woodrow1029 01-14-2013 10:17 AM

server or receiver can call service lets.

In college, it's only Men's Division 1 that eliminated the service let.

woodrow1029 01-14-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7119491)
It really does not happen that often. They play lets in WTT and this has little to no effect on match results.

Usually, but I worked on the box for a WTT match in Hartford about 6 years ago where 4 times on the 3-3 game point (no ad), the server for the same team hit a let serve that bounced way up, and all 4 times the receiving team put away an easy winner. (2 of them were doubles, and in WTT, the receiver's partner can return a serve that hits the net first, and those 2 times in that one match were the only 2 times in my 7 years of chairing WTT matches that I saw a receiver's partner return a serve.)

Joeyg 01-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7119499)
Usually, but I worked on the box for a WTT match in Hartford about 6 years ago where 4 times on the 3-3 game point (no ad), the server for the same team hit a let serve that bounced way up, and all 4 times the receiving team put away an easy winner. (2 of them were doubles, and in WTT, the receiver's partner can return a serve that hits the net first, and those 2 times in that one match were the only 2 times in my 7 years of chairing WTT matches that I saw a receiver's partner return a serve.)

In my opinion, the stupidest WTT rule ever. However, I am not a big WTT fan, anyway.

woodrow1029 01-15-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeyg (Post 7122848)
In my opinion, the stupidest WTT rule ever. However, I am not a big WTT fan, anyway.

You are wrong. The stupidest WTT rule ever is that the umpire has to stand on that damn box. It's uncomfortable, and after 2 1/2-3 hours, my feet and back are sore! :-)

Coach Carter 01-15-2013 12:25 PM

Anyone can call a let, just as said earlier...call it with confidence.

I just get frustrated when as happened the other day in my match, I hit a hard slice that cut away from receiver for easy ace. They call a let. It was easily a foot and a half over net...my partner turned and said "they called a let". I was "holy %#$@ you can't be serious"...and they were serious.

chatt_town 01-15-2013 01:57 PM

I'm sure you can because I've been in many doubles matches where I or my partner or the people serving on the other side have called lets as I'm standing right on top of the net. So I'm not surprised. It seems like it would be a little weird though for one to do it in singles.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7118334)
You would have to consult the rules. One would think in a casual match, fine. In a the official rules apply match, no as generally, all calls are made by the player on the active side of the net, lines, serves in or out, etc.

However, according to the USTA site, the answer is yes, a server can call an unheard by others let ( presumably as long as he does so immediately not after a ten ball rally. )

Seems like a weird rule to me. If the receiver, doesn't hear/notice a let, it must not have been much of a let and I would say play on, but evidently, the rules say otherwise.

From the USTA site:

If my opponent serves and I call a let, but he does not agree, who has the final say?

Few people know this, but according to "The Code, a Players' Guide to Unofficiated Matches", any player (in singles or doubles) can call a service let (ball touching the net). It must be done promptly. Usually the receiver(s) make the call and many players on the serving side decide not to get involved with the call thinking maybe they were mistaken.

If the server hears a clear let and the receiver does not call it, it is best for the server to call it ASAP. Otherwise, the server hears a let and the receiver hits a winner, and after some hesitation, the server asks "Did you hear a let?" That is always difficult situation to resolve after the point has been played.


OrangePower 01-15-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatt_town (Post 7123324)
I'm sure you can because I've been in many doubles matches where I or my partner or the people serving on the other side have called lets as I'm standing right on top of the net. So I'm not surprised. It seems like it would be a little weird though for one to do it in singles.

I often call lets on my own serve in singles. It's just instinct for me to call let as soon as I hear/see it, regardless of whether I'm server or receiver.

Usually when I do it on my serve, the receiver calls it pretty much at the same time as I do. But there have been times where I've heard the let but the receiver did not.

There has never been a dispute that I can remember... calling it early helps; since I usually call it before/as the receiver is making the return, there can be no accusation that I called it only after seeing the opponent make a winning return.

Joeyg 01-16-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow1029 (Post 7122905)
You are wrong. The stupidest WTT rule ever is that the umpire has to stand on that damn box. It's uncomfortable, and after 2 1/2-3 hours, my feet and back are sore! :-)

Wait until you are my age...The hits just keep on coming!

NLBwell 01-16-2013 12:40 PM

If any of the players hear a let they must call a let.

chatt_town 01-17-2013 06:14 AM

Truth is...I've called them as well. I guess I'm a little more leary of it in singles as I'm not at the net. If ti's obvious and ticks the net loud enough that I can hear it...yea I'll call it. I guess I was speaking of the one that barely tick the net and you can only hear it if you are standing there. So I understand where you are coming from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7123469)
I often call lets on my own serve in singles. It's just instinct for me to call let as soon as I hear/see it, regardless of whether I'm server or receiver.

Usually when I do it on my serve, the receiver calls it pretty much at the same time as I do. But there have been times where I've heard the let but the receiver did not.

There has never been a dispute that I can remember... calling it early helps; since I usually call it before/as the receiver is making the return, there can be no accusation that I called it only after seeing the opponent make a winning return.



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse