Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   String Recommendations - YOUTEK IG Speed 18x20 and AeroPro Drive GT (both pre-2013s) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450862)

AYone 01-14-2013 07:04 AM

String Recommendations - YOUTEK IG Speed 18x20 and AeroPro Drive GT (both pre-2013s)

Hey, looking for some advice on setups for these two sticks. I'm sure I can dig up some stuff scattered on the site, but maybe people have some fresh perspectives.

1. On the Speed, I currently have a full bed of Babolat VS Natural Team Gut 17 at 58. I've only had this stick for a couple of weeks, so just learning its ins and outs. I'm generally happy with the VS, and will play with it until it wears, but curious about different set ups to unleash the Speed's full potential. I know Nole uses VS and ALU (at least, that's what public sources say), but I'd be willing to try a full bed of poly/co-poly, if people have found success.

2. On the Aero Pro Drive, I've really only used RPM blast in a full bed and hybrid set up. Really frustrated with this stick. Everything seems to sail after a few days of play and never get the desireable feel. I'm considering trying a full bed of some type of poly or co-poly (other than RPM). Perhaps Solinco Tour Bite 16L (1.25) or Yonex Poly Tour Spin 1.25 16L. Please let me know your thoughts and what's worked for you.

Thanks for your time and advice.

oldschoolrules 01-14-2013 01:34 PM

Just switched to the apdgt and tried a couple of set -ups, both of which worked pretty well (for me, of course). One has Xcel at 70 lbs and the other has N.vy at 68. Like them both but will likely stick with the N.vy or another similar synthetic simply for durability. I, personally, would stay away from poly in the apdgt unless you plan to string often and at lower tensions.

AYone 01-15-2013 03:42 AM

Interesting. Thanks. Seems pretty high in terms of tension for this stick. Are you finding more control/feel?

vetinari 01-15-2013 09:48 AM

I played with the IG speed for about 18 months. I tried a lot of string combinations and ended up with either price premiere attack or x-one biphase at 52. I didn't like poly in the racquet at all, but like poly in other racquets like the new speed and the extreme. I think even in the tw review they ended up putting a multi in because they didn't like poly either which is unusual for their play testers. Just one of the quirks of that racquet.

AYone 01-15-2013 12:23 PM

I rewatched the video review. I think one or two of the testers liked low tension polys. I'll try that multi set up too. Thanks.

oldschoolrules 01-15-2013 01:42 PM

AYone - I apologize for the delay in responding - I'm having trouble with the log in for some reason. I actually find that I have better control and feel with the apdgt at that tension with those types of string. I have always preferred the feel of a tighter string bed and have, since I started playing back in the wood racquet days, decided how high to go based on head size as opposed to frame stiffness. My rule of thumb (ymmv) when trying a new racquet is to initially string mids at 65, mid plusses at 70, and oversize frames at 75, usually with "standard" synthetic gut like Prince, Gamma or Babolat, and work up or down from there. But I also select what string to use based on how flexible the frame is, i.e. softer string in stiffer frame. However, if I were to try a stiffer string (like ALU, for example) in something as stiff as the apdgt, I would start lower to get the same overall feel and, hopefully, level of control.

joshthefisher 01-15-2013 02:56 PM

I play the IG speed only the 16 x 19 (have a 18 x 20 ordered) I tried a full bed of poly which is all I ever used but really disliked it in the it speed. Went with a hybrid of Msv focus hex 17L and prince lightning Xx spin16 and loved it both @ 58#. So I'm going to try the same at 53# in the denser pattern.

NLBwell 01-15-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschoolrules (Post 7123284)
AYone - I apologize for the delay in responding - I'm having trouble with the log in for some reason. I actually find that I have better control and feel with the apdgt at that tension with those types of string. I have always preferred the feel of a tighter string bed and have, since I started playing back in the wood racquet days, decided how high to go based on head size as opposed to frame stiffness. My rule of thumb (ymmv) when trying a new racquet is to initially string mids at 65, mid plusses at 70, and oversize frames at 75, usually with "standard" synthetic gut like Prince, Gamma or Babolat, and work up or down from there. But I also select what string to use based on how flexible the frame is, i.e. softer string in stiffer frame. However, if I were to try a stiffer string (like ALU, for example) in something as stiff as the apdgt, I would start lower to get the same overall feel and, hopefully, level of control.

Pretty much the tensions and strings everyone used to use in the 80's. I can't understand how anyone can control a 100sqin racket with gut around 50 lbs. Poly is a different deal, of course.

AYone 01-18-2013 06:51 AM

I tell ya, I'm not really thrilled with the Speed set up -- i.e., full bed of VS at 58. Just not crazy about it. I played in a drill clinic last night with this stick and my PS Ltd -- which has NXT Tour 17 at 50-48, or 52-50, I forget -- and it was hard to go back to the Speed, although I kept trying. I'm thinking next time around I will try a lower tensioned poly and see how I like that.

Separately, I strung my APGT at 53 with a full bed of Yonex Poly Tour Spin 1.25 and will let you know how it works out after I play tonight.

stewfoo412 01-19-2013 08:39 AM

Black Code @ 58 in my apdgt is a great setup for me