Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Yonex R-20 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450891)

deco0028 01-14-2013 12:44 PM

Yonex R-20
 
Hi all
Anyone have any experience with this frame, its history, its specs, and how it compares to the Yonex R-22?
How does its SW and spin potential compare to the R-22?
Thanks

deco0028 01-15-2013 06:20 PM

No one has had experience with the R-20?

AlfaAce 01-15-2013 07:56 PM

SW and Spin potential?!?! Kind of inconsequential compared to modern sticks. Regardless, the "R-22" has a history and reputation all it's own for a reason. So, therefore, every other Yonex racquet ever made will be (and should be) compared to it. If you want "spin" then buy a modern racquet. If you want "history with provenance" (and indeed a great players racquet) buy a R-22.

deco0028 01-15-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7124273)
SW and Spin potential?!?! Kind of inconsequential compared to modern sticks. Regardless, the "R-22" has a history and reputation all it's own for a reason. So, therefore, every other Yonex racquet ever made will be (and should be) compared to it. If you want "spin" then buy a modern racquet. If you want "history with provenance" (and indeed a great players racquet) buy a R-22.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Let me first preface my response by some info, have been around tennis for ten years or so because of my sons' involvement with tournaments, squads, etc etc.
Learnt to customise and string racquets , initially to cut down costs, but have taken more of an interest since I myself started playing regularly around 15 months ago. I am 49, but am fit for my age( soccer, cycling, running, surfing, gym work, now tennis).
My sons have cycled through many racquets, and by proxy, so have I.
Light, heavy, large , small, graphite, wood, flexy, stiff. Hit with every racquet my friends play with, bought many, sold many.

Regularly play with Dunlop AG 200 4D Tour.
Tried a Yonex R-22, and it finally felt like I was home. No other way to describe it.
Have a chance to acquire a R-20, but not R-22 at this point. I want a backup, because I want to move to this frame. It has more topspin than my Dunlop( no more long balls), better accuracy, swings faster, and is not as stiff. I shank more with a 100 sq in racquet than I do with the Yonex. I do not know why. My forehand topspin is better, my (slowly improving) 1hbh topspin drive is vastly better than it was on the Dunlop or anyb other racquet.
If there is a modern frame that can perform like the Yonex R-22, I have not hit with it. If there is one with the exact same specs, including RA, then I will check it out.
That is why I am asking the question re R-20.:)

AlfaAce 01-15-2013 08:49 PM

There isn't a modern frame with the same specs as a R-22 (unfortunately:() ... and given your praise (above) of the R-22 why would you second guess your gut instinct given that R-22s are about $35-50 on *Bay (in excellent condition) all day long?!?!

deco0028 01-15-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7124429)
There isn't a modern frame with the same specs as a R-22 (unfortunately:() ... and given your praise (above) of the R-22 why would you second guess your gut instinct given that R-22s are about $35-50 on *Bay (in excellent condition) all day long?!?!

Because I don't live in the US. And shipping to OZ is not cheap from the US. One concern would be having to return the frame should it not meet the description accurately, and the aggregated mailing cost should that situation arise.
In any case, I willl wait patiently until one surfaces here. After all, I already found one.
Thanks

AlfaAce 01-15-2013 09:08 PM

Regardless, easy to source. Happy to help score you one if I can.

deco0028 01-15-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfaAce (Post 7124473)
Regardless, easy to source. Happy to help score you one if I can.

Thanks. As an aside, one other racquet has come close , except for a higher SW (perceived), that was the RD-7. Topspin was amazing in that frame. A little less mobile though, in my opinion.
Perhaps thinner strings in the 4D 200 Tour may help with topspin if I need to go back to that frame....

Rorsach 01-15-2013 11:41 PM

If you're looking for cheap Yonex sticks, you should check out Yahoo Japan. A good R22 will set you back between 10 and 20 bucks.
There are loads of intermediaries that will collect your orders and ship them to you for a reasonable fee.

deco0028 01-16-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorsach (Post 7124775)
If you're looking for cheap Yonex sticks, you should check out Yahoo Japan. A good R22 will set you back between 10 and 20 bucks.
There are loads of intermediaries that will collect your orders and ship them to you for a reasonable fee.

Thank you very much


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse