Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   help me understand the feel of this hybrid... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450903)

eks-mat 01-14-2013 02:22 PM

help me understand the feel of this hybrid...

So I had a blx six.one 18x20 a year ago and had a real problem with feeling the ball, especially on soft shots.

I tried a lot of strings, mostly big bitter blue in mains with a syn gut in crosses.

I decided to try the opposite and went with technifiber multifeel in the mains and BHBR in crosses. I strung at 56 pounds. Well it was horrible. I litterally couldn't feel the ball on anything other than a huge forehand return off a fast serve. Plus it had no power, no ball pocketing since I couldn't feel the ball.... no spin even though the string to string friction was very low.

Can anyone help me figure out what happened? No way pros are playing with a feeling setup similar to that. Was my main tension too low, high? I ask this cause now I'm using the 16x18 version with full BHBR at 57 lbs but still have poor ball pocketing and mediocre spin although I have way more feel on soft shots. Id like to understand what happened before and make a good desicion on what to try next.

LeeD 01-14-2013 02:30 PM

Lower tension and swing faster.

eks-mat 01-14-2013 02:36 PM

With the multifeel? Forget about my current setup I already realize its too tight, but I was swinging damn hard with syn in the mains. But I cant swing hard on touch shots... I feel like the low friction made the strings move so much the stringbed never compressed... possible?

eks-mat 01-14-2013 08:18 PM

I guess I really just want to understand the science behind why it felt so bad with the multifeel in the mains. It has to do with the string friction and or the stretching of the multifeel vs the nonstretch of the polyp crosses...

TennisCJC 01-17-2013 06:40 AM

If you had both the mains and the cross at 56 lbs, that may explain the feel. Try the multi mains at 56 lbs and the poly cross at 52 lbs. Or, even lower 54/50 or 52/48.

With the poly cross at the same tension, the poly reaches max stretch long before the multi. This might be causing the lack of "feel" or "dwell" as you might not be getting into the elasticity of the soft string. At least that's my theory and I am sticking to it.

Think of it like playing with rubber band mains and a wire cross. At the same tension, the wire will dominate.

I use multi/syn gut/gut mains with poly cross now and always drop the poly cross 3 to 5 lbs lower than the mains.

eks-mat 01-18-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7128807)
If you had both the mains and the cross at 56 lbs, that may explain the feel. Try the multi mains at 56 lbs and the poly cross at 52 lbs. Or, even lower 54/50 or 52/48.

With the poly cross at the same tension, the poly reaches max stretch long before the multi. This might be causing the lack of "feel" or "dwell" as you might not be getting into the elasticity of the soft string. At least that's my theory and I am sticking to it.

Think of it like playing with rubber band mains and a wire cross. At the same tension, the wire will dominate.

I use multi/syn gut/gut mains with poly cross now and always drop the poly cross 3 to 5 lbs lower than the mains.

Thanks so much for the reply, and this was also the only theory I could come up with and it does make a ton of sense. One reason I didn't trust myself was all the pros using nat gut in the mains with lux crosses, from what I was able to find a lot of them have the lux tighter... but those stats maybe wrong cause it just doesn't make any sense.

I am going to try it again with looser poly crosses for sure, thanks again for your input!

eks-mat 01-20-2013 05:27 PM

CJC, would/do you also vary the tension by 4 pounds if stringing the poly in the mains?

NLBwell 01-20-2013 07:35 PM

BLX eliminated the feel of the racket - thus the next generation had AmpliFeel.
A new technology to fix the problem caused by the previous new technology.