Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tips for when your serve "breaks down" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450905)

Headshotterer 01-14-2013 02:47 PM

Tips for when your serve "breaks down"

Say one day you are playing a match, and all your serves start going long. What is the best way to quickly resolve this and actually get some in.

LeeD 01-14-2013 02:49 PM

Long.
Allow your wrist to come thru sooner, so the ball goes lower. A LONG serve is hit too high over the net.
Hit your second serve instead of the first.

OHBH 01-14-2013 02:53 PM

Use slice serves and kick serves as your first serve. Mix it up between these two and you'll be surprised at the number of weak returns you'll get without having to go for the bomb. Tossing a little more out in front helps if all your misses are long.

ArliHawk 01-14-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBH (Post 7120237)
Use slice serves and kick serves as your first serve. Mix it up between these two and you'll be surprised at the number of weak returns you'll get without having to go for the bomb. Tossing a little more out in front helps if all your misses are long.

Kick surves are my saving grace when my serve goes away.

J011yroger 01-14-2013 03:02 PM

Usually I just lose.

J

sureshs 01-14-2013 03:03 PM

More spin and pronation

DeShaun 01-15-2013 09:18 AM

Stop thinking.
Empty your mind by exiting it.
Move your point of awareness down into your upper body.
Deliberately relax your torso/arms/wrist.

Now, just throw it up and hit it at 50-60% of maximum power.

You'll get it by your second or third try.

This is how I stop the bleeding when unable to locate that balance point inside my body where my "feeling on/connection to" serve comes from. It helps me to re-target my contact zone correctly.

MY 3 KEYS:
EMPTYING THE MIND
SWINGING AT ONLY 60% OF FULL POWER
HAVING DELIBERATELY RELAXED MY TORSO/ARM/WRIST

arche3 01-15-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7120274)
Usually I just lose.

J

What I do too lol.

maggmaster 01-15-2013 10:42 AM

Me three, though I am trying to build that ultimate reliable, unattackable three quarter kick serve that agassi used to hit.

5263 01-15-2013 11:13 AM

I agree about trying to add some spin.
Most players tend to pull it down a bit when I ask them for more spin on serve.
Not so good if they pull down too much and start netting them :???:

dominikk1985 01-15-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7120227)
Long.
Allow your wrist to come thru sooner, so the ball goes lower. A LONG serve is hit too high over the net.
Hit your second serve instead of the first.

yes. more wrist/pronation and less arm(shoulder.

LuckyR 01-15-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headshotterer (Post 7120221)
Say one day you are playing a match, and all your serves start going long. What is the best way to quickly resolve this and actually get some in.

It is easier, technically, to hit with high swingspeeds consistently, than low swingspeeds. So I would make the decision to hit kick serves and hit them with the highest racquethead speed I could muster. Of course at least 50% of that would be towards spin, not pace, especially on second serves.

Power Player 01-15-2013 12:31 PM

Best thing for me is just to slow it down. Works sometimes.

LeeD 01-15-2013 12:41 PM

When playing a match, I seldom hit 100% fast first flat serves. More likely around 80%, going for placement and IN, rather than blowing doors. If that doesn't work, slowing it down further usually just sets up a sitter for the returner, so it's better to go with heavy spin and high bounces....or low skidded pure slice serves with a low contact point.

rufus_smith 01-15-2013 12:59 PM

one possibility:
About an hour into a match, some players have a tendency to stop lifting up off the ground (a little jump or hop) when contacting the ball on the serve, thus contacting the ball surface in a little lower spot and pushing it long. Solution: keep lifting up even when tired.

arche3 01-15-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus_smith (Post 7123134)
one possibility:
About an hour into a match, some players have a tendency to stop lifting up off the ground (a little jump or hop) when contacting the ball on the serve, thus contacting the ball surface in a little lower spot and pushing it long. Solution: keep lifting up even when tired.

hard to do when your old though...

oldschoolrules 01-15-2013 01:54 PM

When they start going long I try loosen up my grip as I have almost always started to apply too much pressure which, in turn, tenses up the forearm, shoulder, etc. When they start heading into the net I try to make sure I am keeping my head up (just a cue - really keeping the chest/torso angled up at toss) as it is very difficult to get it in the box when you're hunched over by the time you make contact. Unfortunately, however, sometimes I simply see it as a sign that I am getting old and resign myself to the fact that I just can't play the game like I used to (or think I used to :)!)

tlm 01-15-2013 06:15 PM

One of my first lessons with the club pro years ago I learned that if the serve is going into the net then toss the ball more right above you, and if they are going long then toss out in front more. This tip really helps.

Plus this guy just kept reminding me to loosen up the grip, as I was serving he would keep repeating keep that grip lose keep that grip lose. Both of these tips and slow down at the beginning and excel most RHS right at contact really help.

bhupaes 01-15-2013 06:35 PM

I dunno... whenever my serve goes awry, I toss a little higher and wind up more slowly, and things improve immediately. I know, this goes contrary to the advice that the toss should be on the lower side in general.

pvaudio 01-15-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus_smith (Post 7123134)
one possibility:

Bingo. This also translates into what I was going to suggest: focus on bending your knees, because as someone said, you're not getting up enough to bring the ball down.