Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What's the best control string for flat hitters? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450923)

Litespeeds 01-14-2013 05:10 PM

What's the best control string for flat hitters?

What's the best string setup for a flat hitter using a Yonex 95D?

I was considering VS natural gut mains at 54 and MSV Co-Focus cross at 51. What are your thoughts?

Fyrepower 01-15-2013 03:51 AM

Gut/Co-focus is known as one of the spinniest setup around, and after awhile it gets very powerful. SPPP or WC Silverstring are nice control strings for a flat hitter.

Nuke 01-15-2013 03:53 AM

Lux 4G is very control oriented, and probably better for flat hitters then spin masters.

jim e 01-15-2013 04:24 AM

A quality all nat. gut strung at a relatively high tension gives decent control, comfort, power and feel.I am a flat hitter, and nat. gut not only plays well but continues to do so until it breaks, so it is very economical as well.

canny 01-15-2013 04:41 AM

When I hit primarily flat vs gut full bed at 60 was perfect. Also a stiff poly in my crosses and a soft multi in the mains wasnt bad at all strung mid 50's.

JT_2eighty 01-15-2013 11:50 AM

Full gut at 60+ pounds is great for flat hitting. I'd go with 16 gauge in that string pattern. Pacific Tough Gut 16 is great; requires a small break-in period but has amazing long-term durability and control.

If you want to hybrid, ToughGut/Poly at your mid tension also works well. Good poly crosses are Luxilon M2 16L and WC Silverstring 16L for flat hitting. Honestly any poly cross will be good, I think the key is gut mains. M2 & SS are my personal favorites for flat shotmaking, as they also have decent tension stability and feel that pairs well with gut so you can play it til something snaps.

pvaudio 01-15-2013 12:00 PM

Full gut, or if you want to save some money, Tecnifibre NRG2.

Power Player 01-15-2013 12:14 PM

Lux 4G or Dunlop Ice as a main and OGSM as a cross - low fifties has worked for me. I hit with a lot of spin, but still come clean through the ball, so I value control a lot.

HappyMilk 01-15-2013 09:56 PM

Gosen Polylon is extremely cheap in a reel & low powered +spin for the big hitter that lets the stringbed keep the balls in!

boinz 01-16-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7122937)
Full gut, or if you want to save some money, Tecnifibre NRG2.

Agree totally, esp on the tecnifibre NRG2 much better string than the x-one Biphase and cheaper

tennisnut123 01-16-2013 04:58 AM

By control do you mean more spin? or do you want a string that pockets the ball a little less? "control" is something strange in the tennis world I think. To me it means more spin, because for me i control the ball with the amount of spin that i put on each shot...but to string makers some strings in the "control" category are nxt and sensation, which dont offer a great deal of spin. So its hard to tell. Ive tried many strings and could help but elaborate on the control you are looking for.

pvaudio 01-16-2013 05:03 AM

I think control is the ability to put the ball where you want it. Strings which are too powerful will simply make the ball sail long, strings which are too spinny will make the ball land short. In other words, lets you hit whatever shot you wish, and if you miss it, it's your fault.

struggle 01-16-2013 06:03 AM

full gut for you. maybe a gut/synthetic-multi hybrid.

JT_2eighty 01-16-2013 10:29 AM

Another note I forgot to mention...

If you don't want to pay for full gut, an amazing combo is Gut mains/ Isospeed Control Classic crosses. The Isospeed Classic is a multifilament, but very low powered and durable. It will EASILY double the life of your gut mains, if not more. I have used it on multiple occasions as crosses to gut mains, and it outlasts full gut 3 to 1 in overall durability. This is due to the ribbon construction of the string, it resists notching like other multis or syn guts.

The only downside is feel, it greatly lowers the power of your gut, but with lower power comes amazing control. Gives you the control of Gut/poly, with less spin capability and much more arm comfort.

acura9927 01-16-2013 12:24 PM

NRG2 for completely flat shots and zip spin.

finalfantasy7 01-16-2013 12:36 PM

I've tried gut-cofocus really loved it but I won't consider this as flat as nrg2, gut cofocus gives you good amount of spin, while nrg2 is pure flat hitting.
With tension I would suggest 58lbs+, I really enjoy nrg2 but its expensive and I carnt afford it, still have 3sets off it.

I've never used fll gut,

mikeler 01-16-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acura9927 (Post 7126424)
NRG2 for completely flat shots and zip spin.

Tourna Quasi Gut has the same properties. Great for flat shots and awful for spin.

tennisnut123 01-22-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7125338)
I think control is the ability to put the ball where you want it. Strings which are too powerful will simply make the ball sail long, strings which are too spinny will make the ball land short. In other words, lets you hit whatever shot you wish, and if you miss it, it's your fault.

Its a tough subject to really dive into, since it has different meaning for different players I think. A lot of people would say that they "control" the placement of the shot via how much spin the put on the ball, a shot deep in the court still would have spin, just like a short shot, just maybe not as much. But then again, people could also say that for them "control" would be how much pace they generate on the shot which allows them place the ball and alter the depth and angles. Touchy subject, sorta hard to narrow it down.