Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Lamar University needs 1 more men's player (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450977)

Dave Mc 01-15-2013 06:04 AM

Lamar University needs 1 more men's player

Lamar University has room for 1 more men's player for this spring semester. Registration for classes ends this week. They are NCAA D-I but not nationally ranked, so you'll need to be at least NTRP 5.0. I'm not sure, but there might be a partial scholarship available. You can check them out here.... www.lamar.edu

I do not work for this school or have any further info, I just happen to know about this sudden opening, and thought I would try to help. Thanks.

goran_ace 01-15-2013 07:09 AM

Interesting that despite being located in TX they only have one American on the online roster. 2011-2012 media guide lists no Americans.

JLyon 01-15-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7121979)
Interesting that despite being located in TX they only have one American on the online roster. 2011-2012 media guide lists no Americans.

Despite being in TX American players choose not to go to Lamar, I am sure Coach Wong would love to have American players, but he also paid to win and a 2* or 3* player will not produce wins and most 4* and 5* players would not even sniff at Lamar.
Nature of the beast

jaggy 01-15-2013 07:47 AM

Paid to win is key to issues with all sports

goran_ace 01-15-2013 08:28 AM

No need to tell me why coaches get foreign players in general, I'm more than well aware having played and coached. I just found it interesting that they don't try to bring in local recruits to fill out the roster a bit more, particularly if there is a shortage of players.

JLyon 01-15-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7122193)
No need to tell me why coaches get foreign players in general, I'm more than well aware having played and coached. I just found it interesting that they don't try to bring in local recruits to fill out the roster a bit more, particularly if there is a shortage of players.

Probably tough to get a local kid cleared and ready unless they raid a JUCO, and **** off that coach at the mid-term and close a potential pipeline. Unless a kid is just sitting out a year after HS it would be tough to find a local player. Who knows they may just find a walk-on to try and compete at 6, but way late in the game.

Coach Carter 01-15-2013 01:19 PM

they could raid the Corpus area and find somebody that could be solid at 6.

Tennishacker 01-15-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 7122034)
Despite being in TX American players choose not to go to Lamar, I am sure Coach Wong would love to have American players, but he also paid to win and a 2* or 3* player will not produce wins and most 4* and 5* players would not even sniff at Lamar.
Nature of the beast

Not true.

In general, when coaches consistently recruit foreigners, then local/American juniors will not spend their energies on that program.

goran_ace 01-15-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 7122313)
Probably tough to get a local kid cleared and ready unless they raid a JUCO, and **** off that coach at the mid-term and close a potential pipeline. Unless a kid is just sitting out a year after HS it would be tough to find a local player. Who knows they may just find a walk-on to try and compete at 6, but way late in the game.

I agree. They must have unexpectedly lost some people - maybe a few guys got injured, went academically ineligible, or quit/transferred.

atatu 01-15-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mc (Post 7121818)
Lamar University has room for 1 more men's player for this spring semester. Registration for classes ends this week. They are NCAA D-I but not nationally ranked, so you'll need to be at least NTRP 5.0. I'm not sure, but there might be a partial scholarship available. You can check them out here.... www.lamar.edu

I do not work for this school or have any further info, I just happen to know about this sudden opening, and thought I would try to help. Thanks.

Is your son is the only American on the roster ? That's pretty impressive, congrats !

Overdrive 01-15-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 7123142)
Not true.

In general, when coaches consistently recruit foreigners, then local/American juniors will not spend their energies on that program.

Really?

Interesting I will make note of that.

tball2day 01-15-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 7123142)
Not true.

Agree, see it all the time. It's one of the first ways kids eliminate schools off their list. They either know that's how the recruiting is done as some coaches just recruit foreign or they may incorrectly assume from just looking at the roster. Either way, they go elsewhere.