Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   new Tennis magazine cover (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451003)

christo 01-15-2013 08:04 AM

new Tennis magazine cover

I've never seen a cover that was just an ad . Is this the wave of the future?:confused:

ollinger 01-15-2013 08:14 AM

No, it's the wave of the present. It's been discussed widely in the popular press that communities are moving towards corporate sponsorship of things like parks, hospitals and public schools, think of it as a form of income redistribution. ("Cliff Notes Junior High School" is one I'm especially eager to see.) Magazines are also scrambling for more advertising tie-ins as the economics of print media become less and less favorable.

West Coast Ace 01-15-2013 03:11 PM

I am a Head racket fan - but I even LOL'd when I saw it.

On a side note, this new material, graphene, appears to have a lot of promise. Saw an article that said it might even be used to desalinate water.

rafafan20 01-16-2013 07:04 AM

magazine is an absolute rag, but I love the racquet :)

librarysteg 01-16-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7122318)
No, it's the wave of the present. It's been discussed widely in the popular press that communities are moving towards corporate sponsorship of things like parks, hospitals and public schools, think of it as a form of income redistribution. ("Cliff Notes Junior High School" is one I'm especially eager to see.) Magazines are also scrambling for more advertising tie-ins as the economics of print media become less and less favorable.

This ties in nicely with the tennis novel Infinite Jest (it's huge and intense, but I think any tennis fan would enjoy the tennis elements). In that book, time itself has been subsidized so instead of 2013 we might have The Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment. I remember when I first read the book years ago just laughing at the idea, but now it might not be too far away!

Bartelby 01-16-2013 07:42 AM

They basically ditched the alphabet for the racquet list on the cover of TW.

LuckyR 01-16-2013 08:09 AM

That "cover" is a paid ad placed over the real "cover".

jaggy 01-16-2013 08:14 AM

Julia on the cover would make them more bank

Dedans Penthouse 01-17-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7125795)
Julia trying to cover up on the cover would make them more bank

fixed

max 01-17-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7122318)

True. We'll see how it all turns out. Most people I know, myself included, end up favoring a physical copy of reading material, despite our electronic gizmos and accouterments.