Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Getting ride of or cutting back on cable. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451027)

bluetrain4 01-15-2013 11:32 AM

Getting rid of or cutting back cable.

I've hit the wall. Comcast raised my bill $10.00, and I just can't be paying $164.00 per month for cable and internet (especially after the payroll tax holiday was not extended and my paychecks have been reduced). If I'm going to keep it at all, I need to be around $100 or less per month.

Any advice for cutting back? Has anyone done this? I've read it's better to negotiate a new deal via online chat rather than calling them.

I can give up the package that gets me Tennis Channel (I know, that's nearly sacreligious on TT). I certainly don't need "power boost" for my internet connection. I've been charged an "HD Connectivity fee" when I don't have an HD TV, so that can go. All I really need is reasonably fast internet and that first level of cable (ESPN, AMC, TBS, FX, etc.).

But, they bundle everything. I have a friend who got completely rid of cable, but ended up paying only $15 less per month because just getting internet cost him a lot.

hollywood9826 01-15-2013 11:54 AM

If you can find on of the digital service reps for your area those guys can really bring the bills down.

One of those guys just got my sister a HD/DVR, digital box, HBO, blast internet, and phone for like 110.

Im getting ready to call the call the guy because Mine just hit 170. Im getting ready to cancel it all togoether.

Alchemy-Z 01-15-2013 12:03 PM

I switched to AT&T internet $42

and got Netflix for my TV (using a nintendo Wii) $16

for sports I watch ESPN 360 online FREE
or use Live Score hunter FREE
Pandora for Music FREE

so $58 bucks on entertainment/internet a month.

bluetrain4 01-15-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7122945)
I switched to AT&T internet $42

and got Netflix for my TV (using a nintendo Wii) $16

for sports I watch ESPN 360 online FREE
or use Live Score hunter FREE
Pandora for Music FREE

so $58 bucks on entertainment/internet a month.

I've thought about switching to AT&T. But when I checked about 4 months ago, it wasn't available in my building. It's ridiculous. I live in a 17-story building downtown Springfield, Illinois. I have friends that live in houses not far from me and they can get AT&T but I cannot. Only other option is a dish. I guess I should check again.

movdqa 01-15-2013 12:36 PM

I have ComCast 15 MB service (the actual speed is 25 MB) for $65. I can watch tennis matches on ESPN3 (not as good as TC but good enough for me). Movies on YouTube, Crackle and Hulu. TV on Crackle, HULU and the TV channels. We also have an antenna for our TV but I don't use it more than a few times a year.

krz 01-15-2013 12:53 PM

164 for internet/tv? That's a little ridiculous.

You can get FiOS TV + Internet for 79.99 with no contract. Although the HD box is 12 bucks on top for or 16 bucks on top if you want a DVR Box. But, you don't have a HDTV so it would be nothing on top besides taxes.

But, you should definitely buy a HDTV.