Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Any tennis in Temecula, CA? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451030)

limitup 01-15-2013 12:17 PM

Any tennis in Temecula, CA?

Not really sure where to post this but I'm relocating to Temecula this summer and I'm trying to find out what the tennis scene is like. I stumbled across an article from 2011 titled "Lack of courts frustrates Temecula tennis players" and now I'm worried lol! Anyone live in Temecula or know what the tennis scene is like??

dflores 01-22-2013 09:58 AM

There is a tennis center in Murrieta, right next to Temecula. Lots of active players and USTA leagues.

limitup 01-22-2013 10:43 AM

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if there are lots of competitive guys playing singles or is it mostly older guys and gals playing doubles and that type of thing? Just trying to get a feel for what it's like. Do you live in the area??

dflores 01-22-2013 03:07 PM

I have only played there in a Doubles Tourney but I have played players from their club in USTA. They have a number of 4.0 and up players and I'm sure singles and doubles. Older guys? I guess that depends on what Older is. It's a pretty good pool of people.

10nis4Life 01-23-2013 12:26 AM

I live in Temecula and we have a pretty active tennis life out here. Temecula does not have its own tennis club, but our neighboring city, Murrieta does. We have groups that meet regularly and have adult leagues that compete during Spring and Fall. For those of us who crave more competition, variety and year round tennis, we make the drive to San Diego, Inland Empire or Orange County and join their tennis leagues as well. :)

tennis tom 01-23-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10nis4Life (Post 7151326)
I live in Temecula and we have a pretty active tennis life out here. Temecula does not have its own tennis club, but our neighboring city, Murrieta does.

Can you just drop in at Murrieta and find a game, or watch some tennis on the telly, or someone who talks tennis, or do you need to make an "appointment" to play? Is there a place you recommend to stay at nearby like a Holiday Inn Express with a hot tub with a strong jet?

Cheers,
tt

10nis4Life 01-23-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7152947)
Can you just drop in at Murrieta and find a game, or watch some tennis on the telly, or someone who talks tennis, or do you need to make an "appointment" to play? Is there a place you recommend to stay at nearby like a Holiday Inn Express with a hot tub with a strong jet?

Cheers,
tt

I suggest calling or simply dropping by the club to talk with the staff so they can help you out with what you're looking for and there's always one or more teaching pros around as well. The people in the office can help arrange a match for you with players of the same skill level. They do have a tv up in the office that's always on the Tennis Channel. As far as places to stay, there is a Holiday Inn Express and Embassy Suites in Temecula but I don't know about in any near the club in Murrieta. I hope that helps. :)

tennis tom 01-24-2013 06:55 AM

Thanks 10-4,

I'll check it out someday, sounds good and I like the sound of the name--MURRIETTA--it just rolls off the tongue nicely like TEMECULA--saying those places is like hitting a good deep sliced forehand approach. There's a Lotus car racing specialty shop in Temecula, called Sector 111, that I buy bits and pieces for my Elise from. I'm gonna' have a little adventure drive this winter and drive my Lotus down the coast from Norcal to the desert and take it through Temecula. The back road from La Jolla to Palm Springs is a nice one. I was on the courts playing La Jolla and thought, that's odd where's that smoke and ashes coming from, is it the beach bar-b-que?--it was the beginning of the big Julien fire--I was glad to be able to make it out on the 5 the next day, went through about ten fire zones between La Jolla the Grapevine. It's been a while so my geography is hazy but I recall some great twisties that way, Julien, Ramona, Hemet, Idylwild. When I come through I'll give you a jingle. I'm over the hill, literally and figuratively, out of the Babolat in Rancho Mirage. I don't have the Lotus with me though--next time--if she let's me. aren't there some famous hot-springs down there?

Cheers,
Go Niners

10nis4Life 01-24-2013 08:23 AM

The Murrieta Tennis Club is located within what used to be the old famous Murrieta Hot Springs Resort. Now it is privately owned and is occupied mostly by the Calvary Chapel Bible College, a housing development and the tennis club on the outskirts. My husband's co-worker also owns a Lotus and takes it for a leisurely drive with a car club. I'll have my husband ask him about places you can take yours to once you get down this way.