Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How Do you Adjust to Heavier Rackets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451042)

user92626 01-15-2013 02:10 PM

How Do you Adjust to Heavier Rackets?

Going from 330 gram APDs to 341 gram dunlop 200, do you consciously prepare earlier, takeback earlier or what?

The dunlop feels substantially less power so I feel I need to time and strike the ball cleaner, better (can't be sloppy) to get power. Hitting on the run is definitely harder because you only have one hand on the racket! Shot tends to be very weak.

I start to question why recreational players would opt for heavier sticks.

mrmo1115 01-15-2013 02:16 PM

I've consciously noticed that when I started using my Bab PST which is 12 ounces and 330 SW my forehand take back was becoming abbreviated. I never really let it bother me but I felt like I couldn't take the same loopier swing I've been playing with for my entire life. It hasn't really bothered me until now when I'm realizing that its affecting certain shots as balls that are higher in my strike zone, etc. Hope my old non abbreviated swing just comes back naturally as I switch to a lighter whippier frame.

Don't get me wrong even though I feel like my fh transformed in a way I was still playing at a pretty high level. Just little things stood out to me.

Fuji 01-15-2013 02:18 PM

Just load it up like you normally would and get your feet in position. My strokes are the same whether I'm playing with my 13.0oz Rad Pros or my 11.0oz APD. :razz:

If you have clean swing mechanics it shouldn't be too tough of a transition as long as your foot work is also up to par (notice the on the run problem!)

-Fuji

user92626 01-15-2013 03:16 PM

Fuji,

I don't buy what you said at all. Maybe you are telling the truth as you perceive but it is a mistaken perception. :)

Strokes can't be the same with different tools. I have the tendency to do a very quick swing so my takeback appears late. That's because I have an "explosive" personality as opposed to steady. 11.3 oz racket works well with this style but I find myself late or unnaturally early in setting thing in motion. It's just not my tempo.

The reason I got this dunlop is ..to try new things and keep things exciting. I know one player who plays very well with a ktour6.1. He's fast and steady, and his style looks very appealing to me.

mrmo,

This dunlop of mine is also 12oz, but 337 sw. I can't play the whipping, heavy topspin style with it. With my apdgt I can spin the ball back 10 different ways and wait for a sitting ball to rip a winner or put pressure back. On other hand it feels like 12oz racket favors a flatter trajectory, pointing ending shot.

pkshooter 01-15-2013 03:27 PM

Heavier rackets result in less spin, but if its within your capability should give more power. Especially on serves and volleys, and a ohbh

Fuji 01-15-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7123582)
Fuji,

I don't buy what you said at all. Maybe you are telling the truth as you perceive but it is a mistaken perception. :)

Strokes can't be the same with different tools. I have the tendency to do a very quick swing so my takeback appears late. That's because I have an "explosive" personality as opposed to steady. 11.3 oz racket works well with this style but I find myself late or unnaturally early in setting thing in motion. It's just not my tempo.

The reason I got this dunlop is ..to try new things and keep things exciting. I know one player who plays very well with a ktour6.1. He's fast and steady, and his style looks very appealing to me.

mrmo,

This dunlop of mine is also 12oz, but 337 sw. I can't play the whipping, heavy topspin style with it. With my apdgt I can spin the ball back 10 different ways and wait for a sitting ball to rip a winner or put pressure back. On other hand it feels like 12oz racket favors a flatter trajectory, pointing ending shot.

That's a reasonable concept that you have. For myself however I hit very smoothly with a large loopy swing. I generate more then enough RHS to hit with enough spin and power that I don't consciously attempt to change my strokes when I play with a new stick. Of course I haven't videod myself hitting side by side between an APD and a prestige mid for example, but I know I am comfortable enough to swing both and get nearly identical results on court. :) I will have to attempt to do this however since its an interesting concept that I really don't think about! :razz:

-Fuji

LeeD 01-15-2013 03:46 PM

I'm in a similar boat.
I used to play with Mfil and Aero 200's at over 12 oz strungweights.
Now I"m playing with 10 oz 500's, and play has never been better....but.
Hitting is and has always been stronger with the 200's. Hitting is not playing, as the other guy is hitting back, instead of hitting away from me.
Haven't settled on the 11 oz Microgels yet.

user92626 01-15-2013 04:02 PM

Dunlop 200 has a box but less edgy frame but over all every similar to those Fed and pro staff 95 in term of hitting, but Dunlop's cost is a fraction of that of the Wilsons :)

Having hit with a prostaff 95 and now this dunlop, I'm amazed by how Federer could whip topsin with this type of racket. It's tiny, stuffy, lacks of flex and lightness for you to feel and pocket the ball.

Does Federer hit with a lot of topspin, ie large margin for errors, guys? I could see how Nadal, Djokovic and Murray hit which feels very safe. Fed's hitting doesn't feel safe but ..you can't argue with success!!

Fuji 01-15-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7123715)
Dunlop 200 has a box but less edgy frame but over all every similar to those Fed and pro staff 95 in term of hitting, but Dunlop's cost is a fraction of that of the Wilsons :)

Having hit with a prostaff 95 and now this dunlop, I'm amazed by how Federer could whip topsin with this type of racket. It's tiny, stuffy, lacks of flex and lightness for you to feel and pocket the ball.

Does Federer hit with a lot of topspin, ie large margin for errors, guys? I could see how Nadal, Djokovic and Murray hit which feels very safe. Fed's hitting doesn't feel safe but ..you can't argue with success!!

If I remember correctly Fed hits within the top 5 of RPMs on tour! :)

-Fuji

LeeD 01-15-2013 04:14 PM

Fed has better balance than most anyone, and he's stronger than he looks.

user92626 01-15-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7123744)
Fed has better balance than most anyone, and he's stronger than he looks.

I buy that. He looked solid in the first round (AO13).

If you watch Fed's slo mo vids, you'll be deceived into doing the windshield path. WW is detrimental for rec players with this heavy of a racket.

TennisCJC 01-16-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshooter (Post 7123621)
Heavier rackets result in less spin, but if its within your capability should give more power. Especially on serves and volleys, and a ohbh

Heavier rackets result in more spin up to the point where they significantly slow your swing speed. Pros hit way more spin than rec players and they use way heavier rackets. Heavier (mass) reverses incoming spin better than light and it drives through the ball much easier.

TennisCJC 01-16-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7123394)
Just load it up like you normally would and get your feet in position. My strokes are the same whether I'm playing with my 13.0oz Rad Pros or my 11.0oz APD. :razz:

If you have clean swing mechanics it shouldn't be too tough of a transition as long as your foot work is also up to par (notice the on the run problem!)

-Fuji

I agree. I don't reengineer my game for the racket weight.

TennisCJC 01-16-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7123715)

The wilson ps 95 is nothing like Fed's racket. Fed's racket is over 360 grams with SW around 355 give or take a few grams. Much heavier and yes, he hit a load of revolutions on the ball.

I thought the ps 95 had very good spin potential but needs a little lead in the head for power and stability. But, even stock, I thought the 16x19 pattern and low SW allowed for good spin production on sitters.

Power Player 01-16-2013 11:47 AM

You need a loose arm on your strokes to handle heavier racquets. Basically your right arm needs to come along for the ride. Most rec players use their arms when they hit, and that is why the weight bugs them. Or they just prefer lighter sticks. I like the Blade, it's only 328 or so but the SW is pretty nice.

I also have a 200 and when I switch to it, it's not a huge adjustment. I just like the racquet head speed I can get with the Blade.

ChicagoJack 01-16-2013 01:52 PM

I cant believe Jolly Roger has let this thread hang out there for so long without taking a crack at it. Somebody had to post it.

-Jack

Anton 01-18-2013 09:02 AM

Heavier rackets just need smoother, longer setup compared to light ones that you can just muscle and make abbreviated strokes with.

Try earlier, slower, smother take back and time your forward swing with the incoming ball.

fuzz nation 01-18-2013 03:03 PM

It may take a long deliberate effort to adjust your habits so that you can play well with that heavier racquet. It's absolutely a recipe for frustration, at least right out of the gate, but you may find your way to some stronger technique along the way. No guarantees, but I agree with some of our pals that it sounds as though that Dunlop isn't letting you get away with arming the ball quite so much.

You may need to limit your work with that heavier Dunlop to the practice courts until your timing changes. I've tried this with 13.4 oz. LM Prestige mids (leaded up) that I used as "trainers" to adopt a better kinetic chain with my strokes. At first, they exhausted my arm (especially my shoulder) after about 20 minutes on the grinder, but my persistence paid off after several weeks and I learned to make those heavier racquets work.

The idea I like to suggest here is to focus on your legs and your feet. You might need to get hyperactive with your preparation and learn to burst out of your split-step toward your ready position. The idea is to always be ready ahead of the ball, not just on time with it. Instead of your stroke execution going like: 5-4-3-2-1-swing, you need to set up early enough to be able to swing that heavier racquet at 5-4-3-swing. You'll destroy the ball just fine as long as you don't delay the initiation of your swing. Rush your setup!

When you're doing this right, you'll get tired legs instead of a tired arm when using that Dunlop - or any racquet! The heavier frame will push you to drive your strokes with those big muscles in your legs and core.

Not saying that you have to use that heavier Dunlop - just offering a plan of attack if you decide to keep at it. If a racquet is just too heavy and frustrating, better to lighten up a little and use what you can live with out there. I like a hefty frame, but it also needs to be "light enough" for me to play with every day. If your Dunlop is sluggish, you may also like it with some lead under your grip for a little more HL balance. Maybe not, but it's a cheap experiment that might help.

mrmo1115 01-18-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton (Post 7132235)
Heavier rackets just need smoother, longer setup compared to light ones that you can just muscle and make abbreviated strokes with.

Try earlier, slower, smother take back and time your forward swing with the incoming ball.

I can't say I agree because when I moved up to the PST my strokes were getting shorter and more abbreviated because the longer loopier takebacks on my racquet would just result in me catching the ball late.. a lot of balls sailing long on me.

4sound 01-18-2013 10:15 PM

find a heavy wood racket like a Stan Smith or Wood Prostaff. Hit with that for a little bit and any 12oz racket will feel easy.