Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Net Height (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451053)

slowfox 01-15-2013 04:25 PM

Net Height

Supposed to be 36-inches at the center. Most courts at my local park are high at 37-in. No big deal in the larger scheme of things. But today I measured a tennis ball at 2.5-in diameter. So a 1 inch difference in net height can affect 40% of the ball (if my math is right). Now I think about that when serving down the T... :)

Posting this just for the heck of it...

LeeD 01-15-2013 04:28 PM

Ball is a constant, you can't adjust it's diameter.
When you think about this.... you play tennis without singles sticks, so the alleys are low.
So why not have everything askewed with a high center point?

Wodz 01-16-2013 03:09 PM

Sit on the net for a week for force it to drop to 30" then play with someone and hit drop shots 0.5" over the net to practice aim haha

Wodz 01-16-2013 03:11 PM

*and force it

Or remove the net altogether and play with someone while pretending a net actually exists. I found that low level players cannot cope with a lack of net as a visual aid. Nets are an illusion designed to distract us during a swing..lol

rufus_smith 01-16-2013 05:43 PM

"....No big deal" !
Don't tell that to my buddy who carries around a tape measure and will not play until the net is precisely 36"".
Don't you have a center strap or a crank on the post to adjust the height properly?

slowfox 01-16-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus_smith (Post 7127144)
"....No big deal" !
Don't tell that to my buddy who carries around a tape measure and will not play until the net is precisely 36"".
Don't you have a center strap or a crank on the post to adjust the height properly?

The straps and cranks are "ready for the glue factory" so to speak. :-|

TomT 01-16-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7123780)
Supposed to be 36-inches at the center. Most courts at my local park are high at 37-in. No big deal in the larger scheme of things. But today I measured a tennis ball at 2.5-in diameter. So a 1 inch difference in net height can affect 40% of the ball (if my math is right). Now I think about that when serving down the T... :)

Posting this just for the heck of it...

The nets at my local public courts are often out of whack. So, I always take a tape measure with me to check the net height, and adjust it if necessary. Many of my flat serves and shots don't have much net clearance, so it does make a difference in my game to lower the net height if it's too high.

TheCheese 01-16-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus_smith (Post 7127144)
"....No big deal" !

You've got a strange tennis partner.

Orion3 01-16-2013 10:38 PM

PP depends if he is short!

1" to someone 5'6" will make a much bigger difference than it would to someone 6'

I'm 5'7" and it makes a tangible difference to my first serve - noticably more lets or faults.