Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Get it together Stosur! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451123)

mbm0912 01-16-2013 07:06 AM

Get it together Stosur!
 
She's bigger, faster, and stronger than most and can't seem to do squat lately. And how about that serve, Tomic should take notes! I was hoping to see her take the AO. Oh well....Go Radwanska!

TennisFan436 01-16-2013 07:09 AM

Physical brute force means nothing if you don't have the mental brute force to match.

She, like so many other top professional players, will never see their full potential because they lack the mental fortitude.

mbm0912 01-16-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisFan436 (Post 7125637)
Physical brute force means nothing if you don't have the mental brute force to match.

She, like so many other top professional players, will never see their full potential because they lack the mental fortitude.

Agreed. So much potential she has.

dominikk1985 01-16-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbm0912 (Post 7125629)
She's bigger, faster, and stronger than most and can't seem to do squat lately. And how about that serve, Tomic should take notes! I was hoping to see her take the AO. Oh well....Go Radwanska!

she is also technically very good. she is one of the few women who is able to hit a real kick serve and an ATP style (windshield wiper instead of flat slap) forehand.

but mentally she is just not good and I don't think she can change that at her age.

Homeboy Hotel 01-16-2013 07:34 AM

She poop's her pants when she realises she's playing in her home country.

Borrelli 01-16-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbm0912 (Post 7125629)
She's bigger, faster, and stronger than most and can't seem to do squat lately. And how about that serve, Tomic should take notes! I was hoping to see her take the AO. Oh well....Go Radwanska!

She should develop a flat first serve. She has a great 2nd (kick) serve but good returner's can step in and cut it off. Also, she should come in to net behind it or just more often in general. Wasn't she a #1 doubles player? Her tactics baffle me, it's like watching Andy Roddick play.

SoCal10s 01-16-2013 07:45 AM

too much macho playing... she seems like she plays to 'show-off' instead of doing what needs to be done to win... she tries so many 'low percentage 'shots and thinks she can thread the needle all the time.. then she starts hitting up the middle ,then goes for the lines and miss.. WTF ? all that talent with no clue what to do ...

rossi46 01-16-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 7125721)
too much macho playing... she seems like she plays to 'show-off' instead of doing what needs to be done to win... she tries so many 'low percentage 'shots and thinks she can thread the needle all the time.. then she starts hitting up the middle ,then goes for the lines and miss.. WTF ? all that talent with no clue what to do ...

No surprise really, this is the WTA we are talking about. On court intelligence, mental strength and consistency can't be bought.

Mainad 01-16-2013 01:57 PM

It's really strange. We all know Sam has the game and the weapons. She beat Serena to win the 2011 US Open for goodness sakes so we KNOW she can do it!

Maybe she should go and have a chat with Andy Murray about dealing with the pressures of playing at your home Slam. He still hasn't won Wimbledon yet but at least he has not missed a semi-final there since 2008 and made the final last year! Sam has yet to make a quarter-final at the AO!

:confused:

Amelie Mauresmo 01-16-2013 03:50 PM

Stosur is so mentally fragile she is under a lot of pressure to do well in Australia and she always crumbles. I think Stosur is too muscular she moves poorly around the court.

NEW_BORN 01-16-2013 03:56 PM

Stosur is an introvert, she does not like the spotlight. She can't perform when the whole nation is watching and expecting her to win.
Put her on a lesser court, with less crowd and nobody knows who she is, i bet she comes out the winner more often than not.

President 01-16-2013 04:01 PM

Some people just have problems dealing with pressure that they cannot overcome, unfortunately Sam seems to be one of those people.

acura9927 01-16-2013 04:17 PM

She rocked Serena, I know she can do better.

West Coast Ace 01-16-2013 04:58 PM

I usually think shrinks are scammers. But she should give it a try - can't hurt.

Hard to believe you can win a freaking Major! But still come out in the early rounds and completely fold up like a tent. Ah, the fairer gender...

slowfox 01-16-2013 06:58 PM

Let's send her a copy of "The Inner Game of Tennis"... :)

bjsnider 01-16-2013 07:10 PM

I'm pretty sure she's already talked to a shrink.

Candide 01-16-2013 07:44 PM

The first man is wrong here. She actually pretty average if not below average in size among women tennis players. She is super fit and strong for her frame but she's at a big disadvantage against the Sharapovas and Serenas and other Amazons. Her loss against Zheng was a mental collapse though due to the extra pressure she puts on herself in Australia.

All of the pitying posts about poor underachieving Sam are redundant though. She's number 9 in the world and has won about $12 mill in prize money. I'm sure she'll survive and do better once she gets overseas again.

Sid_Vicious 01-16-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candide (Post 7127521)
The first man is wrong here. She actually pretty average if not below average in size among women tennis players. She is super fit and strong for her frame but she's at a big disadvantage against the Sharapovas and Serenas and other Amazons. Her loss against Zheng was a mental collapse though due to the extra pressure she puts on herself in Australia.

All of the pitying posts about poor underachieving Sam are redundant though. She's number 9 in the world and has won about $12 mill in prize money. I'm sure she'll survive and do better once she gets overseas again.

Wat? :confused:

Serena is not an amazon. She stands 5 ft 9 inches tall, just an inch taller than Stosur.

The only physical advantage Sharapova has over Stosur is height. Other than that, Stosur is a much more athletic woman. Also, even though Stosur is much shorter than Sharapova and Azarenka (5 ft 11), her serve is even more potent and her forehand is even heavier.

So, I don't believe Stosur is disadvantaged in anyway when it comes to physical attributes. She is just a mentally frail relative to her big rivals.

Zolar 01-16-2013 08:32 PM

And she's still one of my favorites, despite all her faults. If she can find a way to get it together, she has all the physical tools to be top two or three. I like her style!

Candide 01-16-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7127620)
Wat? :confused:

Serena is not an amazon. She stands 5 ft 9 inches tall, just an inch taller than Stosur.

The only physical advantage Sharapova has over Stosur is height. Other than that, Stosur is a much more athletic woman. Also, even though Stosur is much shorter than Sharapova and Azarenka (5 ft 11), her serve is even more potent and her forehand is even heavier.

So, I don't believe Stosur is disadvantaged in anyway when it comes to physical attributes. She is just a mentally frail relative to her big rivals.

I think my main point stands. Ask David Ferrer if he'd like to be 3 inches taller and I wonder what he'd say (or indeed most guys under 6'). Jeez I wish I was 3 inches taller and I'm 5'11''. As for Serena she's got to be significantly more powerful than nearly every woman on the tour including Sammy by a fair way. Sam is cut but she's fairly slight in the frame underneath that. I do agree with you that her main problems are between her ears though and I do like her topspin game.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse