Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is there a certain type of player Djokovic is vulernable against? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451132)

papertank 01-16-2013 08:23 AM

Is there a certain type of player Djokovic is vulernable against?

As unbeatable as the top four are, it seems that there is certain kinds of players each one of them has been known to have issues with. Nadal and Murray can sometimes be blasted off the court by ball-bashers having a a great day. Fed can sometimes fall into a UE-fest when faced with a well-defending player that puts consistant pressure on him with groundstrokes. Djokovic however doesn't seem to have any pattern like this, at least as far as I have seen. He's great at neutralizing the ball-bashers as well as grinding it out with the great defenders. Is there any certain type of player that Djokovic has been known to struggle with over his career?

Jeepers 01-16-2013 08:24 AM

Players with variety. Federer, Murray, Tomic, Dolgopolov etc

ruerooo 01-16-2013 08:32 AM

I'm not sure it's a certain type of player, as much as it is a certain type of weather condition.

He hates playing in the wind. Watching him against Ferru in the first half of that USO semi, before they cleared the stadium, was pretty revelatory. (And a friend of mine who's a fan confirmed that he's said he doesn't like it.)

Not that that's anything a particular opponent can do anything about ...

rafafan20 01-16-2013 08:34 AM

A confident Murray. You have to take Djoker out of his rhythm essentially because he is the best pure talent on tour. That used to be a lot easier.

Cup8489 01-16-2013 08:36 AM

You have to be better than him. Sorta why only Fedal have a winning h2h on him.

Federer can hit him off the court if playing well, and Nadal can make him run so much and counter most of DJokovic's tactics.

Basically, someone who moves and attacks well, but also has the ability to mix up the game.

rafafan20 01-16-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 7125859)
You have to be better than him. Sorta why only Fedal have a winning h2h on him.

Federer can hit him off the court if playing well, and Nadal can make him run so much and counter most of DJokovic's tactics.

Basically, someone who moves and attacks well, but also has the ability to mix up the game.

I don't think anyone is better on hard court though, on grass and clay that is certainly true

heninfan99 01-16-2013 08:39 AM

The Federer-type. Only he so far can blast winners by him. Djoker's defense is that good.

equestion 01-16-2013 09:01 AM

The key is being unpredictable. That means being capable of hitting any shot in any direction, with any type of spin. This also applies to the serve. Federer is the master of that. Murray is getting there. More often than not, that sends Djokovic into this semi-conservative mode where he's just kind of hitting heavy topspins and underwhelming backhand slices, trying to win the positioning game. The Big 4 have weapons that can break Djokovic down at this stage.

Easier said than done though. All players, even Federer, have their tendencies. Once Djokovic locks in on those tendencies, he becomes considerably more offensive-minded, and unless he's struggling with his mechanics or physically hurt, it's usually all downhill for him at that point.

Then there's this God 2.0 mode he sometimes goes into when his back is to the wall, where nothing really matters except for Djokovic's own form. It's a depressing reality for most of the tour, but when Djokovic decides f--- it, and starts going on an all-out offensive blitz, the only thing that can stop Djokovic is Djokovic.

augustobt 01-16-2013 09:08 AM

Variety. That what's Melligeni was talking about earlier in the match. A guy like Harrison it's almost the perfect matchup for Djokovic... He wins almost effortlessly. If you're trying to beat Nole, you must vary your style, your spins.

Relinquis 01-16-2013 09:14 AM

if you get into any kind of rhythm against him, you're toast as he will control the point. he is lethal that way due to his consistency. it seems like he has everyone's game figured out. mentally strong. knows all the strategies.

federer has the arsenal of weapons and movement to keep djokovic guessing while still keeping the pressure on. very few others do. maybe murray as well.

would have been awesome to see him play Rios in his prime.

The Bawss 01-16-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equestion (Post 7125924)

Then there's this God 2.0 mode he sometimes goes into when his back is to the wall, where nothing really matters except for Djokovic's own form. It's a depressing reality for most of the tour, but when Djokovic decides f--- it, and starts going on an all-out offensive blitz, the only thing that can stop Djokovic is Djokovic.

There are probably about 6-7 players on the whole tour who just can't be beaten when they zone hard. Unfortunately for Fedal, Novak is one of them, and they both found this out the hard way in 2011.

President 01-16-2013 09:34 AM

Djokovic's footwork actually isn't amazing, definitely of a lower level than Federer and Nadal. His athleticism and flexibility makes him a great defender but he isn't nearly as precise with his footwork. That's why he struggles so much with windy conditions and players with variety. He doesn't make the last minute adjustments Fedal do. You see the trouble a much lower level player like Tomic can give him just because he can slice and dice. When Federer and Murray have beaten him they mix it up nicely as well.

wangs78 01-16-2013 09:43 AM

I think Djokovic is just a very very consistent player. I can't really recall when he has given an amazing performance or a crap performance. He just comes into each match, moves very well, has a good serve (since he dumped Todd Martin), good strokes on both wings, good return, defends great, and can finish a point when he needs to. He tends to lose to the most talented players who can outplay him on a given day. That, I guess is how I would describe him. What you see is what you get. There's always a chance that an opponent brings their A+ game and can beat him. Djoker is not the kind of player who will then raise his game to another level. He just always plays at a consistent high level. So for example, a talented player like Tomic can show up, play his A+ game, and outclass Djokovic. In contrast, if the same player showed up against Fed, Fed is more likely to be able employ his more versatile talents and neutralize his opponents big game that day. Fed's weakness, as a previous poster said, is his vulnerability to the very best, most consistent defenders who also have the ability to attack when needed. Of late you also see him lose occasionally to big hitters but I see this as a function of his age.

dominikk1985 01-16-2013 09:45 AM

I would say a ballbasher on fire can beat him.

If you paint the lines all day with huge bombs ala rosol against nadal you can beat him. DP in top form could do that.

The Bawss 01-16-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangs78 (Post 7126012)
So for example, a talented player like Tomic can show up, play his A+ game, and outclass Djokovic.

Tomic has won a total of 1 set against Novak. I'm sure Novak is terrified of being "outclassed" once more.

DRII 01-16-2013 09:48 AM

Besides the other Big 4; i would say Big servers who are also competent enough off the ground ie Isner, Delpo, a healthy Fish...

Nole loves rhythm, anyone who can upset his rythum has a decent chance.

ark_28 01-16-2013 09:51 AM

He has only lose once in IW or Miami in the last two years and that was to John Isner, when Isner finds that type of form and with his 148 mph serve top speed he's pretty much unplayable.

SStrikerR 01-16-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7126020)
Tomic has won a total of 1 set against Novak. I'm sure Novak is terrified of being "outclassed" once more.

You mean match right?

Also, Federer uses his slice very effectively against Djokovic.

ark_28 01-16-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStrikerR (Post 7126038)
You mean match right?

Also, Federer uses his slice very effectively against Djokovic.

I think he means set and that was Wimbledon! Hopman was an exho so will not count in the record books officially!

Al Czervik 01-16-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 7126023)
Besides the other Big 4; i would say Big servers who are also competent enough off the ground ie Isner, Delpo, a healthy Fish...

Nole loves rythum, anyone who can upset his rythum has a decent chance.

Chris Fowler on ESPN proposed a similar question. Who would rather play Djoker than Federer? The best that Patrick McEnroe could come up with is a guy like you are saying, and he pointed to to Roddick as one example.