Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New generation, who has more potential? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451173)

Midguytenis 01-16-2013 02:51 PM

New generation, who has more potential?

I'm a coach i work with competitive players (juniors) and that is why I came to AO.

I watched the match between Jerzy J.... VS Devarmann from the stands, i was really impressed about his entire game and the result of that match, what impressed me the most is the will he has and mental fortitude that can take him to a number 1 one day.

He can improve in every area of his game, that is scary! The mental part iis already there, that is why he is in this position right now, that is why he won that match, I thought Tomic was the best one but i may be wrong, i dont see in Tomic what Jerzy has.

On WTA i see Madison Keys a great player, but Donna Vekic may outshine her.

It will be tough for guys like Harrison, Dimitrov, Tomic , Madison Keys, Ashley Barty, these 2 seems to have what it takes to dominate.

berg 01-16-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midguytenis (Post 7126765)
I'm a coach i work with competitive players (juniors) and that is why I came to AO.

I watched the match between Jerzy J.... VS Devarmann from the stands, i was really impressed about his entire game and the result of that match, what impressed me the most is the will he has and mental fortitude that can take him to a number 1 one day.

He can improve in every area of his game, that is scary! The mental part iis already there, that is why he is in this position right now, that is why he won that match, I thought Tomic was the best one but i may be wrong, i dont see in Tomic what Jerzy has.

It will be tough for guys like Harrison, Dimitrov, Tomic , Madison Keys, Ashley Barty, these 2 seems to have what it takes to dominate.

That is a very interesting assessment. From what you have seen first hand, how would you evaluate Sloane Stephens?

berg 01-16-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

This is a bit off topic, but what was your read on the energy build up during the first set breaker from the stands? Not so much about whether the ball was in or out on that contentious call necessarily.

papertank 01-16-2013 03:04 PM

I think Tomic and Jerzy have the greatest potential to dominate. They both have issues they still need to overcome, but the game is there, and they have both shown that they have amazing mental strength, which is infinitely important.

Midguytenis 01-16-2013 03:08 PM

I see her hanging around top 20 and possibly making top 10 in a few years, obviously tennis changes circumstances fast, (Nadal was one of the favs to Win Wimbledon and ....) but these other girls have more complete game, she is still one way train and will have to develop a lot more tomget there, mentally, she isn't a top player in my book.

I see the fire, the will, the heart in the eyes of some i dont see that on her, i hope i can be wrong, id love to see these youngster challenge Serena, Azarenka and Sharapova this year still.

Midguytenis 01-16-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berg (Post 7126790)
This is a bit off topic, but what was your read on the energy build up during the first set breaker from the stands? Not so much about whether the ball was in or out on that contentious call necessarily.

That obviously works well for some (Nadal is the one who builds up with that sort of thing) but not that well for others, i thought it was unecessary and he carried it through and it was one of the reasons why he lost that set, he lost concentration and thought about it still on the second set. That is whe i saw his strength to come back and win that match it was a tough match for him mentally he proved he has it mentally, he showed he can come back, had he kept together he would probably have won the set, but in life we are always learning specially that he is just coming up now and doesnt have much experience right now

albatros_forehand 01-16-2013 03:21 PM

Raonic, Nishikori both are better than the big Pole.

SoCalJay 01-16-2013 03:29 PM

I think Janowicz has more upside than Raonic or Nishikori but potential means nothing until it's realized. I'm hoping that his steamrolling of Tipsy, Simon, and Murray in Paris was just a preview of how good the guy can be if he can cut down those UEs and keep his cool while maintaining the same intensity level.

berg 01-16-2013 03:32 PM

The curious case of Nishikori. I like him. But for vastly different reasons. Nishikori could be the Radwanska of men's tennis. Climbing up, slowly and surely.

albatros_forehand 01-16-2013 03:53 PM

I was worried there for a sec that you meant Radwanska type of player. Oh no he is definitely not a pusher, his grounded have quite some bite. Would love to see him vs JJ, he likes to play big hitters (beat Berdych a couple of times I think)

berg 01-16-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albatros_forehand (Post 7126917)
Would love to see him vs JJ

Both intrigue me. Could be an intelligent battle.

West Coast Ace 01-16-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalJay (Post 7126857)
...Janowicz...but potential means nothing until it's realized.

Agree with this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalJay (Post 7126857)
I'm hoping that his steamrolling of Tipsy, Simon, and Murray in Paris was just a preview of how good the guy can be...

Not so much. Everything lined up for him: end of a long yr for them, while he's hungry; indoors, lightening fast conditions; Murray and Tips looking ahead to the WTF.

I still pick Raonic because of his huge serve, then Dimitrov for his all around game.

SoBad 01-16-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Of the players you mention, only Dimitrov has multi-slam level talent and promise. The future is with Donskoy and Berankis, as well as Nishikori and Andrey Kuznetsov.