Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The "What's right with her?" thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451198)

berg 01-16-2013 05:19 PM

The "What's right with her?" thread

Not the *other* thread. Not who is the GOAT thread.

The "What's right with her?" thread. No? Too hard? Not sexy enough?

Talk about Garbiñe Muguruza if you must.

soyizgood 01-16-2013 05:59 PM

Only saw a bit of Muguruza before. She's beaten a few quality players already, so she has upside. Much of the talk of this young batch has centered around Stephens, Robson, Watson, so she could sneak up under the radar.

berg 01-16-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyizgood (Post 7127190)
Only saw a bit of Muguruza before. She's beaten a few quality players already, so she has upside. Much of the talk of this young batch has centered around Stephens, Robson, Watson, so she could sneak up under the radar.

I like how she is dubbed "classy" in another thread. Maybe that will sneak under the radar.

Más, por favor.

Vanhool 01-17-2013 12:26 PM

I like this thread. My favorite thread (what's wrong with her) has become the go to for all things wta, even when things are good, which is ok I guess...

But any way here's something that went right:

The clouds of a mental meltdown began to form for Serena, but she pushed them away and woke up. Finished with 207kph ace down the T.

And Muguruza shows some promise.

jamesblakefan#1 01-17-2013 05:27 PM

Goerges breaks through the 4th (round) Wall at slam.

Ico 01-17-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesblakefan#1 (Post 7130446)

She made the 4th round here last year. So she defended that breakthrough, I suppose.

berg 01-17-2013 06:11 PM

Kimiko Date. How to get your grin on!!

Brian11785 01-18-2013 05:51 AM

Kerber is a beast. People are always (justifiably) raving about how satisfying it is to see Radwanska take down the unforced error machines with her no-pace variety and strategy. I think watching Kerber's (against that same type of opponent) gutsy defense, pace-absorption and willingness to go for the big shot AT THE RIGHT TIME are equally thrilling.

These two are the antithesis of the "What's Wrong With Her?" thread.

Duncan Bell 01-18-2013 05:56 AM

This thread has nowhere near as many legs as the other thread. Nowhere near as fun.

Duncan Bell 01-18-2013 05:58 AM

Oh, and what about Madison Keys?! Girl's got game

Brian11785 01-18-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Bell (Post 7131735)
This thread has nowhere near as many legs as the other thread. Nowhere near as fun.

True. Positivity towards the WTA is not a stance most people here have any interest in.

sportlerin 01-18-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesblakefan#1 (Post 7130446)

I am glad for her and hopes she continues to improve her showings this year.

For some reason though I wonder about her team; whoever they are in her box, coaches, trainers, etc. Something about their demeanor turns me off, they seem a little fly-by-nightish.

Duncan Bell 01-18-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian11785 (Post 7131746)
True. Positivity towards the WTA is not a stance most people here have any interest in.

Indeed.

For the reckon, I quite enjoy watching women's tennis and really enjoy watching Robson, Azarenka, Radwanska and Ivanovic in particular.

But pontificating on the drama and the meltdowns is just downright entertaining.

dlesser13 01-18-2013 06:25 AM

Kuznetsova quietly making her way through the draw, pretty convincingly too. I like her chances tonight against Navvaro. Svetlana had a bad 12 season, but she has the game to win slams if she keeps her head on. I think she will return to form this year or at least make a presence in a few of the slams. Can't believe she was unseeded.

Soianka 01-18-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Bell (Post 7131742)

She really does.

I think either her or Jamie Hampton might turn out to be the best of the young ones.

GhostDog 01-18-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Bell (Post 7131742)

I saw a bit of her match vs Kerber. She really hits the ball hard. I like her game more than Sloan Stephen's. I think she'll be better in the end.

Radwanska is making it look easy right now, but I still don't she could be Serena in the finals if they meet.

volleyandfun 01-18-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlesser13 (Post 7131803)
Kuznetsova quietly making her way through the draw, pretty convincingly too. I like her chances tonight against Navvaro. Svetlana had a bad 12 season, but she has the game to win slams if she keeps her head on. I think she will return to form this year or at least make a presence in a few of the slams. Can't believe she was unseeded.

she lost her rankings due to injury. last week at Sydney she had to qualify

Vanhool 01-18-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlesser13 (Post 7131803)

Yes, comment on her in this thread while you can! Much as I like her, I couldn't bring myself to choose her for my sudden death pick, even in R1. But she's doing well right now.

ciocc 01-18-2013 11:26 AM

Last time I checked, Li Na was applying for a membership of this club. Is she in yet?

Brian11785 01-18-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciocc (Post 7132634)
Last time I checked, Li Na was applying for a membership of this club. Is she in yet?

If she can get past Radwanska, she might be able to get a visitor pass. Past Sharapova/Kerber, then trial membership. Take the final, and we'll stop talking about her in the other thread for at least a week.