Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Jump Roping @#$@#% (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451201)

Roforot 01-16-2013 05:46 PM

Jump Roping @#$@#%

I've gotten out the Ultra Speed cable jump rope which I bought in 2011 and am learning to use it. One thing I notice is perhaps because of lack of use, the cable has a lot of memory and often forms tangles. I know some of my difficulties come from learning a new skill, but when the rope tangles up it effectively shortens and ends up caught by one of my feet.

Is this normal or perhaps related to how I'm using my wrists/shoulders? Is there a way to get the cables to lay flat? I've tried stepping and stretching out the handles multiple times?

Any suggestions?

v-verb 01-16-2013 06:22 PM

Get this kind:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CHAMPION-S...White/15826597

OHBH 01-16-2013 06:50 PM

What tension do you use for the pre-stretch? Be careful not to stretch it too much or it will deaden the feel.

Roforot 01-17-2013 03:11 AM

Can't tell if you're being cheaky or misread the topic to relate it to tennis strings rather than jump rope?

OHBH 01-17-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roforot (Post 7128319)
Can't tell if you're being cheaky or misread the topic to relate it to tennis strings rather than jump rope?

Well then it appears I have done my job.

Roforot 01-17-2013 09:03 AM

There's got to be some people here using jump ropes considering how it's popular in boxing, crossfit, and agility drills. Anyone here who learned to jump as an adult?

v-verb 01-17-2013 09:08 AM

I use the type I posted earlier about. I got sick of ropes getting tangled etc. Trust me get one like it of the right length and you won't look back.

BTW the only drawback is skipping in bare feet. If you miss that plastic hurts like a MF

wallabeechamp 01-17-2013 10:24 AM

Expert rope skipper here....

1. There is but 1 jump rope. http://www.buddyleejumpropes.com/

2. When not using your jump rope always hang it. A simple nail in a wall or door frame.

HTH

Roforot 01-17-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7129231)
I use the type I posted earlier about. I got sick of ropes getting tangled etc. Trust me get one like it of the right length and you won't look back.

BTW the only drawback is skipping in bare feet. If you miss that plastic hurts like a MF

Oh thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I thought you were needling me also!

v-verb 01-17-2013 06:26 PM

[quote=wallabeechamp;7129456]Expert rope skipper here....

2. When not using your jump rope always hang it. A simple nail in a wall or door frame.

HTH[/QUOTE

Looks like a cool rope! I'll stick with mine as it works for me but that does look good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roforot (Post 7130296)
Oh thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I thought you were needling me also!

Nope I was serious. Jumping rope is excellent cardio and coordination building all in one.

Cheers!

pvaudio 01-18-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roforot (Post 7129212)
There's got to be some people here using jump ropes considering how it's popular in boxing, crossfit, and agility drills. Anyone here who learned to jump as an adult?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallabeechamp (Post 7129456)
Expert rope skipper here....

HTH

I'm pretty decent at it having done years of boxing and wallabee is 100% correct. I've had a Buddy Lee for lord, 6 years now? If you really want to train this skill, you need a rope which isn't just some poly strung between two handles. The problem you have is because your cable is simply too thick and it retains its memory. Two things fix this: storing it from the cable with the handles down, or speeding up your pace. Since you're starting, begin storing the cable with the handles hanging instead of with the rope wrapped around them.

pvaudio 01-18-2013 05:02 AM

You also don't want anything with weighted handles or with weights on the cable. These are what I used to buy for boxing club so that people could warm up if they forgot their rope: http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Neon-Jum...ef=pd_sbs_sg_6

Cheap, and turn at the right speed.

BMC9670 01-18-2013 04:59 PM

Buy some rope and jump it ...

Seriously, go to your local home improvement store. They usually have reels with different lengths and thickness of rope. I have a couple different thicknesses - use a thicker one if you want to work the arms. If you get real rope, ask them to tie off the ends. If you get "plastic" rope, burn the ends to prevent fraying. Real top works best - doesn't tangle easy and it's cheap.

Worked for Rocky...

luishcorreia 01-29-2013 01:56 PM

I use the nike speed rope you can find on salemat the tennis warehouse web site.,i have it in my gym bag... All wrapped up, and it works great. Its a fast rope, very well built. Not expensive.

The rope doesnt have "memory" at all.

When i started jumping I could barely do 30 seconds without it getting caught up in my feet. In total I would do just a few miutes.

Now i can jump for 45 minutes, doing several types of bounces.

If it gets caught up in your feet its most likely due to inexperience. But stick with .. Its a great workout

pvaudio 01-29-2013 02:37 PM

Also, a very important note on technique. Many people find rope skipping hard and tiring because they use their arms to turn the rope. You need to start the rope moving before you start jumping to build its momentum, and then once you start jumping, ONLY your wrists turn the rope to keep it going round. Your shoulders should never be sore. Also by not turning with your wrists, you naturally tense up your shoulders and chest which brings the rope higher off the ground and leads to more misses.

LeeD 01-29-2013 02:44 PM

I am by far no expert, but can jumprope either feet over 50 times without missing....
Never coil your rope. As said, lay it out.

charliefedererer 01-29-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luishcorreia (Post 7178257)
I use the nike speed rope you can find on salemat the tennis warehouse web site.,i have it in my gym bag... All wrapped up, and it works great. Its a fast rope, very well built. Not expensive.

The rope doesnt have "memory" at all.

When i started jumping I could barely do 30 seconds without it getting caught up in my feet. In total I would do just a few miutes.

Now i can jump for 45 minutes, doing several types of bounces.

If it gets caught up in your feet its most likely due to inexperience. But stick with .. Its a great workout

I also like the Nike speed rope.

Jump on a mat.

Use some common sense. If your knees are taking a beating from lots of tennis and running, it is not a great time to be doing a lot of jumping.

Otherwise it is great.

Roforot 02-02-2013 02:26 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've been storing the rope on a coat hanger and it's losing the tangles. Still working on technique... I can jump for a minute or two but this is with double bounces. I am told that jump rope is actually less stressful on your knees than running because your impact is mostly on the forefoot and ideally you're not more than two or three inches off the ground. I'm only doing this a few minutes a day though to allow my feet and joints accustom to the shock.

I never did this as a kid, but compared to running, this feels fun. I can only imagine how much better when I can do this w/ music and for 10-15 minutes at a stretch.

FastFreddy 02-02-2013 07:17 AM

Jump rope

Back in my best hockey shape I could jump rope for 1hr straight without hitting the rope once. My all time record was 2hrs and 2 mins. I only hit the rope twice in the last hr. My hr was only in the 130's. I would jump for 1hr before my tennis matches games to get loose. The trick is just jump high enuff the clear the thickness of the rope. When my rope wore out I made my own from a metal wire coated with plastic. My rope was short when stepping on the rope the handles came up to my hip bone. Never tried a leather speed rope or a heavy rope. I did my jumping not for cardio but for footwork.

pvaudio 02-02-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastFreddy (Post 7186405)
Back in my best hockey shape I could jump rope for 1hr straight without hitting the rope once. My all time record was 2hrs and 2 mins. I only hit the rope twice in the last hr. My hr was only in the 130's. I would jump for 1hr before my tennis matches games to get loose. The trick is just jump high enuff the clear the thickness of the rope. When my rope wore out I made my own from a metal wire coated with plastic. My rope was short when stepping on the rope the handles came up to my hip bone. Never tried a leather speed rope or a heavy rope. I did my jumping not for cardio but for footwork.

The rule of thumb is that if you step on the rope and hold the handles together, they should reach to your armpit. There is no way you could jump while standing upright or not jumping and tucking.