Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Federer-Tomic AO 2013 3rd round (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451230)

tennis_pro 01-17-2013 01:11 AM

Federer-Tomic AO 2013 3rd round

Well what do you know. Federer surprises everyone and somehow manages to reach the 3rd round.

He's here Bernie. He's coming to get you.

Feather 01-17-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7128167)
Well what do you know. Federer surprises everyone and somehow manages to reach the 3rd round.

He's here Bernie. He's coming to get you.

Add poll also, am eager to vote for Roger Federer in three

TennisLovaLova 01-17-2013 01:19 AM

Federer will win 6-4 6-0 6-2

Masayoshi 01-17-2013 01:19 AM

I'd love for Tomic to make a match of it, but I think Fed in 3, possibly 4.

Defcon 01-17-2013 01:21 AM

I want Fed to shut Tomic up, don't like Tomics nonsense at all.

The Meat 01-17-2013 01:21 AM

Tomic had trouble against Brands today, Federer was on fire beating Davydenko today. 3 sets for Federer. 7-5, 6-3, 6-2

Masayoshi 01-17-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon (Post 7128196)
I want Fed to shut Tomic up, don't like Tomics nonsense at all.

Tomic's remarks are welcome for me, as long as they don't cross the line into sheer rudeness. The tour could use a little more playful banter and trash-talking, it adds spice to a bunch of fairly boring personalities.

RajFederer 01-17-2013 01:26 AM

Fed in 3 as easily as it gets.. if he plays high level tennis.. we can see a bagel too :D

Nostradamus 01-17-2013 02:05 AM

Bernie has too much power for Federer. roger's finesse game won't work against tomic. and tomic is in better form with Sidney win

Feather 01-17-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 7128248)
Bernie has too much power for Federer. roger's finesse game won't work against tomic. and tomic is in better form with Sidney win

That's why Roger is three zero against Tomic :wink:

Duncan Bell 01-17-2013 02:26 AM

Do we really need two threads for this match?

Use batz's....

tennis_pro 01-17-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Bell (Post 7128268)
Do we really need two threads for this match?

Use batz's....

mines was first, bro

Duncan Bell 01-17-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7128277)
mines was first, bro

Fair enough...either way, we should be pick one! :)

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-17-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7128200)
Tomic had trouble against Brands today, Federer was on fire beating Davydenko today. 3 sets for Federer. 7-5, 6-3, 6-2

I don't know what you were watching, but he was far from "on fire" against Davydenko...

Bobby Jr 01-17-2013 03:26 AM

Tomic was standing 5 meters behind the baseline to return the second serve of Brands. Try that against Federer and see what happens.

Also - Brands' poor returning flattered the Tomic serve big time - he used the guess which way approach most of the time which meant he guessed wrong a lot.

Federer was Ok vs Davydenko but a little unspectacular. He did what he needed to against an opponent who can make almost anyone self-destruct. In some ways Davydenko's ability to change the direction of the ball will have been good practice for Federer since Tomic does it too - just with less power than Davydenko most of the time.

The Meat 01-17-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7128286)
I don't know what you were watching, but he was far from "on fire" against Davydenko...

Federer was serving great and hit a total of 42 winners. Yes he also hit almost as many unforced errors but that was because Davydenko was exchanging bullets with him, it's normal to get a lot of unforced errors when they were hitting with that pace. The regular Federer would have lost a set against the Davydenko that was playing today.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-17-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7128355)
Federer was serving great and hit a total of 42 winners. Yes he also hit almost as many unforced errors but that was because Davydenko was exchanging bullets with him, it's normal to get a lot of unforced errors when they were hitting with that pace. The regular Federer would have lost a set against the Davydenko that was playing today.

Bullets...? :confused:

Alright if that's what you want to call them. But on the pro level, those weren't bullets to me. There was more "bullets" in the Djokovic/Harrison match than this one.

Bobby Jr 01-17-2013 02:57 PM

Ha ha. I love people's assessments of matches here - it is a good insight into how much/little they really watch or understand tennis.

Davydenko was hitting bullet groundstrokes compared to Ryan Harrison on average. If you can't tell that much - especially by how often Federer was majorly rushed, as Davydenko is renown for doing to opponents - having watched both matches then I don't know what on earth you were watching while the tennis was on.

Davydenko from yesterday would have beaten Harrison hands-down. His ability to take the ball early and change direction with his groundies would have had Harrison tied in knots. Davydenko has excellent court craft compared to most of the young guns. Find a video of him thrashing Ferrer at Doha the other week for a demonstration of his skills.

PrinceMoron 01-18-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Jr (Post 7130141)
Ha ha. I love people's assessments of matches here - it is a good insight into how much/little they really watch or understand tennis.

Davydenko was hitting bullet groundstrokes compared to Ryan Harrison on average. If you can't tell that much - especially by how often Federer was majorly rushed, as Davydenko is renown for doing to opponents - having watched both matches then I don't know what on earth you were watching while the tennis was on.

Davydenko from yesterday would have beaten Harrison hands-down. His ability to take the ball early and change direction with his groundies would have had Harrison tied in knots. Davydenko has excellent court craft compared to most of the young guns. Find a video of him thrashing Ferrer at Doha the other week for a demonstration of his skills.

Or JMdP at WTF a few years back. How to make a big man look very tired. Enjoyed that one a lot.

Prisoner of Birth 01-18-2013 12:35 PM

Yeah, I don't know what people are talking about. Federer, who wasn't even giving his 100%, handled a strong Davydenko rather comfortably in 3 straight sets. He is looking ominous (not as much as Djokovic, though). Tomic is playing well but the draw, funnily enough, is doing him no favors. Federer's coming in from a Davydenko who takes time away from you. Tomic is coming in from struggling to beat a guy who was reasonably good on serve and rather bad while returning. I see Tomic losing the first set pretty bad, but might make the third one very competitive. But Federer in straights it is.