Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OT: American College Football fans Manti Te'O scandal. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451252)

SLD76 01-17-2013 07:03 AM

OT: American College Football fans Manti Te'O scandal.

Strangest story I've ever heard.

Apparently the gf he had that died late last year apparently never existed?

And he may or may not have in fact invented her?

Staggering :shock:

batz 01-17-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7128874)

Isn't he a big name in college football? Didn't he just play in the big final?

bluetrain4 01-17-2013 07:05 AM

Very strange, but probably belongs in Odds and Ends.

President 01-17-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7128874)

Have you ever visited the Odds & Ends section of this forum? :)

SLD76 01-17-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 7128890)
Have you ever visited the Odds & Ends section of this forum?for )

well ok.

how do I move the thread or will the mods do it for me?

Ill elaborate there, see u in odds in ends.

bluetrain4 01-17-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7128897)
well ok.

how do I move the thread or will the mods do it for me?

Ill elaborate there, see u in odds in ends.

Don't worry about it. They'll probably move it.

jokinla 01-17-2013 11:33 AM

I didn't know Manti played pro tennis.

krz 01-17-2013 12:24 PM

He claims he was catfished... I'll save my judgement till all the facts come out. Motives include him being gay and this being an elaborate coverup(it would be sad to know a football player still has to be afraid about being openly gay), Heisman publicity, or he could just be that gullible. It's a very bizarre story to say the least.

He was an early 1st rounder until that championship game, probably was still a 1st rounder even after he got manhandled by Bama's O-line. Depending how this goes... could we be looking at a Vonteze Burfict type fall?

atatu 01-17-2013 01:35 PM

Yeah, there's obviously more to the story, hard to believe he would really fall for this....I mean don't all kids Skype these days ? If he was hoaxed, there's still more to the story, maybe he wrote some really "bad" stuff to this fake GF and they were threatening to blackmail him, unless he guarantees them X percent of his signing bonus, in which case she will conveniently die of leukemia.

DRII 01-17-2013 03:39 PM

I don't understand the obsession with this story???

NickC 01-17-2013 04:22 PM

Te'o is gay. Therein lies the problem. A mormon kid from a super-religious family playing football at a school sponsored by the Roman Catholic Church.

He can't come out and say it, so that's the reason for the whole hoax.

gavna 01-17-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 7130242)
I don't understand the obsession with this story???

Are you kidding!!!!!!!!! A top player playing for the most storied program in college football claims his girlfriend of 3 yrs dies of cancer on he same day as his good ol'grandma and now we find out the girl doesn't exist.:shock:

He is now claiming he was catfished - kinda funny as he stated before he met her numerous times. This is classic stuff.

r2473 01-17-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 7130319)
Te'o is gay. Therein lies the problem. A mormon kid from a super-religious family playing football at a school sponsored by the Roman Catholic Church.

He can't come out and say it, so that's the reason for the whole hoax.

I was thinking the same thing

stringertom 01-17-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 7128882)
Isn't he a big name in college football? Didn't he just play in the big final?

Yes, Batz, he was an All-American linebacker who led Notre Dame to an unexpected undefeated season and a place in the BCS national championship game. He had dedicated the season to the memory of his grandmother and this "girlfriend" who both passed away early in the season. A huge on-campus pep rally was held to honor him and his "selfless" commitment to remain with the team despite the "twin" tragedies.

This was all stuff legends are made of...now it seems it was quite a bit less.

NickC 01-17-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7130590)
I was thinking the same thing

It's the truth I think, which is really sad if it is true. On many levels, and sad especially that in this day and age this sort of thing still matters...some kids no matter their upbrining and religion and playing football and all that just happen to be gay. It's a numbers game. And the fact that he's had to jump through all these hoops to pretend to be someone who he's not and in this day and age having to do that simply because some people are intolerant is truly and honestly disgusting.

DRII 01-17-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7130514)
Are you kidding!!!!!!!!! A top player playing for the most storied program in college football claims his girlfriend of 3 yrs dies of cancer on he same day as his good ol'grandma and now we find out the girl doesn't exist.:shock:

He is now claiming he was catfished - kinda funny as he stated before he met her numerous times. This is classic stuff.

I don't find it classic at all!

Either its very sad or very stupid or both. It certainly isn't the second coming and shouldn't be treated as such...

Fee 01-17-2013 09:23 PM

If helping coverup a double murder doesn't hurt your NFL career, you really think a fake girlfriend story hurts Teo's chance to play?
https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsRadio/...86344642682881

What we learned today? Notre Dame will hire Private Investigators for Catfish stories, but not sexual assault cases.
https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsRadio/...21769402916864

Peter Burns said it better than I could. I think Te'o was in on it, for whatever reason. People lie, that's just a fact of life, even people that you would think have no reason to lie.

SLD76 01-18-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee (Post 7130950)
If helping coverup a double murder doesn't hurt your NFL career, you really think a fake girlfriend story hurts Teo's chance to play?

What we learned today? Notre Dame will hire Private Investigators for Catfish stories, but not sexual assault cases.

Peter Burns said it better than I could. I think Te'o was in on it, for whatever reason. People lie, that's just a fact of life, even people that you would think have no reason to lie.

aint that the truth, to watch the athletic director shed tears over this nonsense.

meanwhile a young girl is dead because she was assaulted by one of the animals on the football team.

gavna 01-18-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fee (Post 7130950)

Well NFL Security is going to put Te'o through the ringer and at least the teams interested in drafting him will have the whole story.

As for the second part of your post - yeah it seems Notre Dame is more concerned with the death of a fake girl than the **** of a real one.

volleygirl 01-18-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 7130810)
It's the truth I think, which is really sad if it is true. On many levels, and sad especially that in this day and age this sort of thing still matters...some kids no matter their upbrining and religion and playing football and all that just happen to be gay. It's a numbers game. And the fact that he's had to jump through all these hoops to pretend to be someone who he's not and in this day and age having to do that simply because some people are intolerant is truly and honestly disgusting.

What are you gonna say if he isnt gay and your jumping to conclusions that he did all this because "some people are intolerant is truly and honestly disgusting" and thats what forced him to do it?