Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   wilson steam 99s? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451255)

ga tennis 01-17-2013 07:20 AM

wilson steam 99s?
 
Im thinking about ordering one for my daughter to try out. Anybody tried it out yet? I noticed the swing weight is a little heavier than her babolat but i think im falling victim to the hype about the spin production.

arche3 01-17-2013 09:02 AM

Ha ha I'm thinking the same for my son. My only reluctance being my son has played with the various incarnations of the APD for almost 5 years. I'm reluctant to change anything. He has used the same racket same strings at the same tension since age 7. Why mess with it?
He doesn't think about gear i don't want him to have any thoughts that gear matters. Want him to only focus on his tennis skills.

ga tennis 01-17-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7129207)
Ha ha I'm thinking the same for my son. My only reluctance being my son has played with the various incarnations of the APD for almost 5 years. I'm reluctant to change anything. He has used the same racket same strings at the same tension since age 7. Why mess with it?
He doesn't think about gear i don't want him to have any thoughts that gear matters. Want him to only focus on his tennis skills.

I agree. One of the problems my daughter has is she sometimes hits too flat. Im thinking i can use the racket to do some mind tricks with her. If she knows her racket is made for hitting spin then she might think spin more often. I know im looking for short cuts. The same thing happened with me back when prince made the chang extended length racket. For some reason i really started to go after my serves because all the hype about the racket was with the longer racket you could serve bigger. Its funny how the brain works. Might just be a placebo affect.

arche3 01-17-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 7129267)
I agree. One of the problems my daughter has is she sometimes hits too flat. Im thinking i can use the racket to do some mind tricks with her. If she knows her racket is made for hitting spin then she might think spin more often. I know im looking for short cuts. The same thing happened with me back when prince made the chang extended length racket. For some reason i really started to go after my serves because all the hype about the racket was with the longer racket you could serve bigger. Its funny how the brain works. Might just be a placebo affect.

I think as tennis parents we are kind of obsessed. Yesterday my son was running to his fh. Hopped one legged on his right foot and hits reverse fhs. Every time i hit cross court to him. For 5 minutes. I asked him wtf are you doing and to practice how you play matches. He told me to loosin up. He is just having fun. Oops, lol.

chalkflewup 01-17-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7129383)
I think as tennis parents we are kind of obsessed. Yesterday my son was running to his fh. Hopped one legged on his right foot and hits reverse fhs. Every time i hit cross court to him. For 5 minutes. I asked him wtf are you doing and to practice how you play matches. He told me to loosin up. He is just having fun. Oops, lol.

Post of the week! And thanks for sharing the tender moment.

ga tennis 01-17-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7129383)
I think as tennis parents we are kind of obsessed. Yesterday my son was running to his fh. Hopped one legged on his right foot and hits reverse fhs. Every time i hit cross court to him. For 5 minutes. I asked him wtf are you doing and to practice how you play matches. He told me to loosin up. He is just having fun. Oops, lol.

I feel your pain. Same thing happens with us. My daughter will hit some crazy shot and i will give her a wtf look and she will say im just having fun. She keeps me in check.

Alohajrtennis 01-17-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 7129267)
I agree. One of the problems my daughter has is she sometimes hits too flat. Im thinking i can use the racket to do some mind tricks with her. If she knows her racket is made for hitting spin then she might think spin more often. I know im looking for short cuts. The same thing happened with me back when prince made the chang extended length racket. For some reason i really started to go after my serves because all the hype about the racket was with the longer racket you could serve bigger. Its funny how the brain works. Might just be a placebo affect.

I do the same thing except when I change her strings. Give her a little speech about what these strings do. Cheaper than buying a new racket...

ga tennis 01-17-2013 10:23 AM

My daughters frames are over a year old. Im sure the 70flex is probably about a 60 now after being restrung weekly. I know she needs new frames. Im just trying to spice things up a little with the wilson.

arche3 01-17-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 7129451)
My daughters frames are over a year old. Im sure the 70flex is probably about a 60 now after being restrung weekly. I know she needs new frames. Im just trying to spice things up a little with the wilson.

Plus you can try it too. They look cool. The steams always looked like chick sticks, match her outfit lol.

ga tennis 01-17-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7129462)
Plus you can try it too. They look cool. The steams always looked like chick sticks, match her outfit lol.

I just hate to demo the racket because demos are always strung with some god awful synthetic and play like a trampoline. I wanna get one and put my magic on it. 18G BLACKCODE MAINS 17G BIPHASE CROSSES 51LBS

Pro_Tour_630 01-17-2013 12:42 PM

GA she hits flat, let it be, if she hits flat with the 99S you and her are in for a big disappointment, get her a prestige mid and have her thumb the ball. :)

sureshs 01-17-2013 01:09 PM

This is the authoritative thread on it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443235

drakulie should be able to answer all your questions as he is also a pro stringer

Pro_Tour_630 01-17-2013 01:44 PM

^^^authoritative :confused: you think GA has time to go through 1200 posts,:confused:

GA just get the stick used on bay or they pop up here in the classified, if you don't like it you can always sell it and get our money back, or just get a new one and try it, worst case you lose $50, better than waisting time reading all these threads and posts and are only subjective in the end, no one will know better than your 11 year old girl.

NLBwell 01-17-2013 02:29 PM

I think it is worth getting and trying out. Frames with less cross strings (with poly) might change the game. (I think for the worse, but we'll see)
If it does make a significant difference in your daughter's game, she will be a step ahead if she is an early adopter.

TCF 01-17-2013 02:37 PM

==========================

sureshs 01-17-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 7129989)
^^^authoritative :confused: you think GA has time to go through 1200 posts,:confused:

GA just get the stick used on bay or they pop up here in the classified, if you don't like it you can always sell it and get our money back, or just get a new one and try it, worst case you lose $50, better than waisting time reading all these threads and posts and are only subjective in the end, no one will know better than your 11 year old girl.

I would really leave it up to him if he wants to get more information or not from that thread. I was a Wilson playtester for the racket, along with many others.

Pro_Tour_630 01-17-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7130125)
I would really leave it up to him if he wants to get more information or not from that thread. I was a Wilson playtester for the racket, along with many others.

and as a playtester do you think a kid who hits flat with an eastern grip would like this frame:confused:

gplracer 01-17-2013 05:22 PM

My son loves it but he is 10 and the swingweight might be a little too much for him. Our club just got in the Juice light which is lighter than the juice but it is head heavy and has a higher swingweight. What will all of that mean?

gplracer 01-17-2013 05:24 PM

Ga come down to our club and your daughter can play with my son. We have a demo strung with 4g in the clubhouse. We were going to get the kids together anyway.

sureshs 01-17-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 7130152)
and as a playtester do you think a kid who hits flat with an eastern grip would like this frame:confused:

Don't know. She might get some extra net clearance and spin for free.

BTW, I was not really a play tester. I was invited to test the rackets in one of their several events around the country. It is not as if I provided feedback during the design.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse