Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   warming up volleys/overheads. Is it really necessary ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451257)

dlam 01-17-2013 07:25 AM

warming up volleys/overheads. Is it really necessary ?

Playing singles and I notice a few players like to warmup their volley and overheads in addition to backcourt game. Then when we play a match they play a baseline game and hardely play the volley game. Why do you need to warm that up ? I can understand if you play doubles or play serve and volley singles style but shouldn't you be warming up mostly your serves and ground strokes ?
I'm okay with it but we have limited court time and i like to get on with the match and not spend too extra time at warmup

IA-SteveB 01-17-2013 07:29 AM

Why not? It makes sure your hand/eye coordination is working well by introducing variety. Just because you don't volley during a match doesn't mean you can't benefit from practicing to get your senses in tune. It's a routine for most people, really.

maggmaster 01-17-2013 07:36 AM

I end up at the net a lot so for me it is super important.

Fuji 01-17-2013 07:41 AM

To be totally honest I rarely warm up volleys before matches even though I close a lot at the net. I just don't care for it that much. I hit a few serves off both sides and them I'm good as well. I've played guys where they want 10+ serves off both sides and it's slightly time consuming, but I get where they are coming from so I respect it.

-Fuji

NLBwell 01-17-2013 09:04 AM

You definitely should warm up overheads because the conditions - sun, wind, indoor lighting and roof, etc. vary and you should know what to expect.

Govnor 01-17-2013 09:08 AM

I only noticed this very recently, but warming up overheads is kind of a big deal, even in good conditions.

Fuji 01-17-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7129216)
You definitely should warm up overheads because the conditions - sun, wind, indoor lighting and roof, etc. vary and you should know what to expect.

I play 99.9% of the time during the fall/winter/spring outdoors at the same facility so the conditions are fairly constant, which does make a difference. I definitely do agree with you On outdoors however.

-Fuji

Alchemy-Z 01-17-2013 09:41 AM

I warm up everything...if I see someone who doesn't warm up at net then I usually put a few short droppers at the start of the match to pull them to the net and see how uncomfortable they are up there.

Maui19 01-17-2013 01:52 PM

I play mostly dubs, so overheads are important. But I don't like to warm up overheads because my shoulder doesn't like it. Once I warm up serving--slowly--then I'm good to go on overheads. However since OH warmups occur first, I generally do them reluctantly, concentrating on foot movement and body position while being gentle with the arm motion.

floridatennisdude 01-17-2013 02:58 PM

I do about 6 rally balls of volleys and 3-4 overheads.

It's not much, but I like to see if I can place balls deep off of an opponents normal rally pace and spin. Tells me how well I will be able to volley off a good approach.

I'm indifferent on the overheads. I guess weather is a factor, but I just don't like too many overhea swings if it can be avoided.

MrFlynntastic 01-17-2013 03:12 PM

dlam,

You should respect someone wanting to warm up their net game regardless of whether they approach on you in a match. If time=money, you do not need to be on a tennis court to practice volleying the ball back and forth.

cll30 01-17-2013 03:28 PM

As someone noted above, even if you don't usually come in, your opponent can draw you in with short balls and drop shots, so you really need to be ready to play at the net.

LeeD 01-17-2013 03:36 PM

You can choose to warm up whatever stroke you want.
But if you leave out volleys and overheads, don't go crying when you miss your first 2 of each.
You had the chance, why pass it up?

polytheist 01-17-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maui19 (Post 7130011)
I play mostly dubs, so overheads are important. But I don't like to warm up overheads because my shoulder doesn't like it. Once I warm up serving--slowly--then I'm good to go on overheads. However since OH warmups occur first, I generally do them reluctantly, concentrating on foot movement and body position while being gentle with the arm motion.

Exactly! I'm not ready for overheads yet!

LuckyR 01-17-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7129329)
I warm up everything...if I see someone who doesn't warm up at net then I usually put a few short droppers at the start of the match to pull them to the net and see how uncomfortable they are up there.

Best post in the thread, especially for 2 baseline bashers playing each other. I always hit volleys, partially because I volley really well, but in singles, more importantly because no one will drop me in singles after the warm up.

Cindysphinx 01-17-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7130332)
Best post in the thread, especially for 2 baseline bashers playing each other. I always hit volleys, partially because I volley really well, but in singles, more importantly because no one will drop me in singles after the warm up.

I don't play much singles, but when I did I always took some volleys. I tried to make them extra perfect for exactly that reason. I also think having them believe I am a good volleyer will make people go for too much.

Also, I like to see if my opponent can lob. Don't laugh. There are some people who are so challenged feeding a warm-up lob that you know they could never lob you in the match.

If the pros warm up volleys and overheads, I figure that's a good enough reason for me.

mikeler 01-18-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polytheist (Post 7130308)
Exactly! I'm not ready for overheads yet!

I actually like to warm up my shoulder with overheads first before I serve.

tennismonkey 01-18-2013 06:41 AM

if i see a guy who doesn't volley during warmups - he's probably a terrible volleyer and is comfortable only hitting groundies. once the match starts - i'm going to drop shot or slice short and test it out.

if i see a guy warm up his volleys and i see he's a terrible volleyer - once the match starts i'm going to hit a lot of drop shots and short slices and test it out.

LuckyR 01-18-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennismonkey (Post 7131851)
if i see a guy who doesn't volley during warmups - he's probably a terrible volleyer and is comfortable only hitting groundies. once the match starts - i'm going to drop shot or slice short and test it out.

if i see a guy warm up his volleys and i see he's a terrible volleyer - once the match starts i'm going to hit a lot of drop shots and short slices and test it out.

... told you...

chatt_town 01-18-2013 11:27 AM

I agree...about the overheads...I never warm them up in singles or doubles. I only take about 3 to 4 volleys at the net in singles and doubles...I hardly come to the net in singles but I come to the net on every point in doubles. If your technique is screwed up...it doesn't matter how many you hit in warmup..it's going to be screwed up during match play anyway.

QUOTE=dlam;7128952]Playing singles and I notice a few players like to warmup their volley and overheads in addition to backcourt game. Then when we play a match they play a baseline game and hardely play the volley game. Why do you need to warm that up ? I can understand if you play doubles or play serve and volley singles style but shouldn't you be warming up mostly your serves and ground strokes ?
I'm okay with it but we have limited court time and i like to get on with the match and not spend too extra time at warmup[/quote]