Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   my racquet (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451270)

heartattack 01-17-2013 09:20 AM

my racquet

it needs 21' string length on main and 18' on crosses accdng to the klipper chart. Is this true to what it state? because i have a half set of natural gut 20'. & i would like to use it on main against 4g cross.

Lakers4Life 01-17-2013 09:28 AM

Klippermat lengths are pretty generous. 20' would work, just have a starting clamp bridge handy.

Faithfulfather 01-17-2013 10:00 AM

I agree with L4L. 20' should be fine. Klippermate site is pretty generous in there string lengths.

Irvin 01-17-2013 11:04 AM

It will depend on the racket, but more important is the head size and the number of mains. Most rackets can be strung with 20' but not all.

heartattack 01-17-2013 11:53 AM

thanks! i will try this 20' gut for the main. I'm stringing a 95sq.in. racquet, using 2pc with my gamma x2.
one more thing.. can i used my starting clamp using gamma x2 or should i just tie a starting knot first and double pull?

Irvin 01-17-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 7129547)
thanks! i will try this 20' gut for the main. I'm stringing a 95sq.in. racquet, using 2pc with my gamma x2.
one more thing.. can i used my starting clamp using gamma x2 or should i just tie a starting knot first and double pull?

I assume you are talking about the crosses since you mentioned a starting knot. I would string the second and third crosses. Put the starting clamp on the outside of the frame on the second cross and pull tension on the third. String you crosses down the racket and tie off the bottom cross. Then go back up and finish the top. I would try to tie the crosses on a cross and not on your gut strings.

Lakers4Life 01-17-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 7129547)

You should have more than enough to do the mains. Unless you think you might need your starting clamp at the end of the crosses. I don't like using a starting knot, especially if you have a starting clamp to use.

heartattack 01-17-2013 07:24 PM

thanks it make sense. I'm just a newbie to stringing. setting up a tension on gamma x-2 here but could not figure out this #'s on the bar. is it pounds or kg's?

Faithfulfather 01-17-2013 07:35 PM

Both should be on there. Pounds on top and kilograms on the bottom.

http://206.210.94.83/collaterals/pdf/MGXS-2.pdf

heartattack 01-18-2013 08:26 PM

misplaced 1tie off main

supposed to be 7B. & one of my tie off main i place it on 9B. just notice it after finishing my crosses.
will it damage my racquet?

Lakers4Life 01-18-2013 10:10 PM

Not really, but it might not be even on the last mains.

On two piece jobs, both sides of the mains should tie off at same coresponding tie-offs, i.e. 7B(T) on both sides. Let say you you have two tie offs per side, i.e. 7B and 9B, and you use 9B on both sides, and tie off the cross at 7B, that's OK. Even if 7B was the designated tie off for the mains.

Irvin 01-19-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 7133755)
supposed to be 7B. & one of my tie off main i place it on 9B. just notice it after finishing my crosses.
will it damage my racquet?

If your tie offs are 7&9B then your bottom skips were 8&10B. When you tie off the mains at 9B you have two strings blocking 8B on each side (not good) and your outside main in 10B will be farther from the tie off and because of the greater drawback (more distance) you will have lower tension on the outside mains. Neither of these will damage your racket, but I would not do either even if the manufacturer recommends it as in your case.

If you are having problems getting your (tie off) tail in 9B you can pre-weave the two outside mains which may require a starting clamp bridge if your string is too short.

heartattack 01-19-2013 07:25 AM

thanks L4L and Irvin. seems like one of my outside main is a little bit loose. i just finish the string job because i was too tired to pull everything out on my crosses.
Also I cut 21' for my main and set my tension @ 46lbs because its a stiff poly. On my last pull on both side #9, i fell short pulling on my gripper. I re done it again twice with different technique. But it is still short. Will this string be garbage now?

heartattack 01-19-2013 12:30 PM

i own a gamma x2 machine. it says use a thick adapter if youre using a wide body racquet. my question is what is a wide body racquet? How thick would you consider a wide body? lets say 22mm beam width...

Irvin 01-19-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 7135541)
thanks L4L and Irvin. seems like one of my outside main is a little bit loose. i just finish the string job because i was too tired to pull everything out on my crosses.
Also I cut 21' for my main and set my tension @ 46lbs because its a stiff poly. On my last pull on both side #9, i fell short pulling on my gripper. I re done it again twice with different technique. But it is still short. Will this string be garbage now?

I am not sure what you are saying. But once a string is in it's in I would not take it out and use it again.

Radicalized 01-19-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 7136145)
i own a gamma x2 machine. it says use a thick adapter if youre using a wide body racquet. my question is what is a wide body racquet? How thick would you consider a wide body? lets say 22mm beam width...

Just use the adapter that gets as much contact with the frame without getting in the way of the grommets or strings. See the picture here of the racquet and an adapter. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427767 You'll know if the thick one is "too thick" for the frame. The default is the thinner. :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=427767 See detailed info in the machine use section regarding the scale, etc.

heartattack 02-03-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7129662)
I assume you are talking about the crosses since you mentioned a starting knot. I would string the second and third crosses. Put the starting clamp on the outside of the frame on the second cross and pull tension on the third. String you crosses down the racket and tie off the bottom cross. Then go back up and finish the top. I would try to tie the crosses on a cross and not on your gut strings.

Im confused with this... coz my tie off cross is 6T/9B gut main.

Irvin 02-04-2013 03:34 AM

heartattackmi am confused too it sounds like you have an 18 main 95 racket you're string with an X2. But what racket is it? Do you plan on sting that racket with your X2 for the test? I would not too much that can go wrong and you may be pressed for time if you are not accustomed to the stringer.

heartattack 02-04-2013 12:44 PM

18main x 19 cross. going to string this with natural gut main and copoly cross. just wandering about my tie up on the crosses because you quote that not to tie it up @ natural gut. by the way irvin, thank you so much with your help on this forum.

Irvin 02-04-2013 01:04 PM

Thanks for the kind words. If I were going to take the test I would use a 16 main racket. I would also not use an X2. Find out where you will be taking the test and what type of stringer they have and try to practice on a machine like theirs.