Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Kvitova and Wozniacki flash in the pans? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451278)

NadalAgassi 01-17-2013 09:37 AM

Kvitova and Wozniacki flash in the pans?

Both are already looking like has beens and they are only 22. Will they gradually (or even not so gradually) settle into careers as journeywomen on tour, and in Wozniacki's case before she is 26 get bored with and retire to become Mrs. Rory around the PGA.

DRII 01-17-2013 09:42 AM

I don't think so with Kvitova. She genuinely has the weapons to win more slams and have a very good career...

NadalAgassi 01-17-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 7129336)
I don't think so with Kivitova. She genuinely has the weapons to win more slams and have a very good career...

That doesnt mean squat. Vaidisova and Lucic had the weapons to win slams, but they were done as respectable pro players by 20 (or in Vaidisova's case done as a pro player period). There are many facets besides having a big shot or two that go into having a successful career and Kvitova doesnt seem to have it at all, long range anyway. Atleast she can comfort herself that she already had a pretty good career if the best is already in the past (which it almost certainly is). A Wimbledon and WTA Championship title, and the real #1 player of 2011. Wozniacki too has had a good career for herself if the best is already in the past (which it probably is as well). Although not even as good as Kvitova's.

augustobt 01-17-2013 09:45 AM

Kvitova can be a real threat on fast courts. She just need a little more mental equilibrium.

DRII 01-17-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7129342)
That doesnt mean squat. Vaidisova and Lucic had the weapons to win slams, but they were done as respectable pro players by 20 (or in Vaidisova's case done as a pro player period). There are many facets besides having a big shot or two that go into having a successful career and Kvitova doesnt seem to have it at all, long range anyway. Atleast she can comfort herself that she already had a pretty good career if the best is already in the past (which it almost certainly is). A Wimbledon and WTA Championship title, and the real #1 player of 2011. Wozniacki too has had a good career for herself if the best is already in the past (which it probably is as well). Although not even as good as Kvitova's.

Yea, but Kvitova actually won a slam; she crossed that threshold unlike Vadisova (lol @ you mentioning Lucic)...

I think Kvitova is having a year and a half to 2 year 'sophomore slump'. She needs to get a handle on her fitness and allergies; once that happens she'll be back in contention.

syc23 01-17-2013 10:25 AM

Kvitova will turn things round and win more slams whereas Wozniacki is done as far as getting back to world no.1 or reaching slam finals. She is just whoring herself and now she has struck gold with Rory, she'll be hanging onto him for dear life.

Woz will take the Kournikova route and go into fashion and become Mrs Mcillroy. Will probably fill out Mirka style too.

dominikk1985 01-17-2013 10:31 AM

kvitova still has the Talent, she just Needs to get in shape.

on the other Hand I think woz seriously lacks weapons. she was just lucky that serena and Maria bothered for other things then Tennis at this time and azarenka didn't hit her prime yet.

THUNDERVOLLEY 01-17-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7129322)
Both are already looking like has beens and they are only 22. Will they gradually (or even not so gradually) settle into careers as journeywomen on tour, and in Wozniacki's case before she is 26 get bored with and retire to become Mrs. Rory around the PGA.

I'll repost part of something from the "What's Wrong With Her?" thread:

Quote:

What a fall from expectation and hype. Between Kvitova's lack of fitness/flatfooted movement (which seems to have gone south since her lone majors title), lax behavior on court and falling back on blasting balls, she seems to be on the path of (ultimately) being a one-major wonder. She had the skill to win a major, but all of that vanished quickly--almost as though she just encountered the perfect storm of a draw to get her to the final, with the added benefit of facing one who was not so strong an opponent.
Adding to that, as the post-Wimbledon victory years pass, Kvitova does not appear to posess a natural champion's mentality--the instinct and vision to see majors as something they deserve to win, rather than hope to win. The differences are absolutely critical, as the former removes most doubt and confusion, and allows the player to see the opponent as someone that is merely "a fight on their way to the title," as opposed to the latter, which leads the player into believing oppenents are "someone I might have a shot against."

As of this date, Kvitova had the former for exactly one moment in time. I still think she's on the path to being a one-major wonder, but I give her a small window for serious retraining of her mind and body to be able to forcefully use the skill which won that lone major.

She's not in the washout zone occupied by Wozniacki, Safina or Jankovic, and she has more natural talent than here-one-year-gone-another majors winner like Kuznetsova, but she is wasting her best years being introverted, and lacking every ounce of that deserve to win vision & instinct.

Laurie 01-17-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THUNDERVOLLEY (Post 7129510)
I'll repost part of something from the "What's Wrong With Her?" thread:

Adding to that, as the post-Wimbledon victory years pass, Kvitova does not appear to posess a natural champion's mentality--the instinct and vision to see majors as something they deserve to win, rather than hope to win. The differences are absolutely critical, as the former removes most doubt and confusion, and allows the player to see the opponent as someone that is merely "a fight on their way to the title," as opposed to the latter, which leads the player into believing oppenents are "someone I might have a shot against."

As of this date, Kvitova had the former for exactly one moment in time. I still think she's on the path to being a one-major wonder, but I give her a small window for serious retraining of her mind and body to be able to forcefully use the skill which won that lone major.

She's not in the washout zone occupied by Wozniacki, Safina or Jankovic, and she has more natural talent than here-one-year-gone-another majors winner like Kuznetsova, but she is wasting her best years being introverted, and lacking every ounce of that deserve to win vision & instinct.

I really agree with everthing you said re Petra.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-17-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7129476)
kvitova still has the Talent, she just Needs to get in shape.

on the other Hand I think woz seriously lacks weapons. she was just lucky that serena and Maria bothered for other things then Tennis at this time and azarenka didn't hit her prime yet.

Shouldn't that be a requirement to be a professional athlete? I think that's ridiculous. If you follow NBA/NFL, if you're not in shape, the coach will bench you.

rdis10093 01-17-2013 12:59 PM

woz is looking good so far at aus

ultradr 01-17-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 7129336)
I don't think so with Kvitova. She genuinely has the weapons to win more slams and have a very good career...

I agree. She is an exceptional athletic talent. I consider her as the best talent-wise.

DRII 01-17-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradr (Post 7129922)
I agree. She is an exceptional athletic talent. I consider her as the best talent-wise.

as far as ball striking ability; absolutely!

augustobt 01-17-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdis10093 (Post 7129871)
woz is looking good so far at aus

What? She should have fell for Lisicki... if Sabine had a brain...

kishnabe 01-17-2013 04:22 PM

Kvitova will win more slams....similar to Maria in the year spans between majors I think.

Wozzy...I doubt she will reach another Slam Final.

RAFA2005RG 01-17-2013 04:33 PM

Kvitova and Wozniacki are virtual opposites. Almost nothing in common. Kvitova has big potential. Once it all clicks she will be right up there with Azarenka. Wozniacki, at her best is very consistent, but has limited potential which we've already seen.

90's Clay 01-17-2013 05:05 PM

Well at least they have done SOMETHING.. Thats more then 95 percent of the men's field currently can say.

Regardless of how much women's tennis has dipped since the early-mid 00's, its not nearly as bad the men's field is currently

NadalAgassi 01-17-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7130392)
Well at least they have done SOMETHING.. Thats more then 95 percent of the men's field currently can say.

Regardless of how much women's tennis has dipped since the early-mid 00's, its not nearly as bad the men's field is currently

LOL that is true. There are currently something like 15 active slam winners or former #1s on the womens side. The mens game I think has 6, and one of them dinosaur Hewitt who arguably no longer even plays top 100 caliber pro tennis, and cant even handle journeyman pushers in his prime almost a decade ago he would have barely lost games against (aka he is a corpse, a dead man walking, who technically counts as an active player but really isnt).

RAFA2005RG 01-19-2013 01:34 AM

I'm surprised at how much Wozniacki has improved her appearance in this Australian Open.

Much better than last year. Probably the cap suits her too.

Candide 01-19-2013 01:35 AM

Flashes in the pan?