Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Night before match? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451284)

Tayytennis 01-17-2013 11:47 AM

Night before match?

Im 14 and currently competing at a high level. I am wondering how i should prepare before a match. What foods shall i eat? What shall i drink? How should i pack my bag(s)? ...etc...

ga tennis 01-17-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayytennis (Post 7129523)
Im 14 and currently competing at a high level. I am wondering how i should prepare before a match. What foods shall i eat? What shall i drink? How should i pack my bag(s)? ...etc...

Start sipping on the powerade zero. Pastas (complex carbs). In the morning a couple hours before you play eat a bagel and some peanut butter. Start sipping water soon as you wake up. Make sure you have a towel in your bag and i always recommend having your notes in your bag so you can reflect on what you need to be doing on change overs.

arche3 01-17-2013 11:55 AM

Get rest. Make sure your showered before bed.

Sunbeam 01-17-2013 02:06 PM

Experiment.

Now that you are a high level athlete, it is time to put some focus on the fuel you are putting into your body. If I have noticed anything over the years, it is that everyone is different on what works fuel-wise. Considerations are the climate you are in, how strenuous the matches are and how many matches you are having that day.

One kid’s bagel is another kid’s kiss of death. A bagel (in its bready density) is the equivalent of 11 pieces of white bread -- which is very high on the glycemic index (times 11!). For many, the blood sugar crash that results (about 2 hours later) can have an extremely negative effect physically and mentally during a match.

As you embark on your tennis career, it would be wise to keep a notebook of what you have eaten, the timing and when and how you felt during your match. Our family has some foods and meals that always seem to result in positive match result s (win or lose). Others, i.e. the aforementioned bagel are banned from our pre-match food repertoire during tournament weekends.

Consider your new high-level athlete body an engine. I like imagining an old style locomotive steam engine.

Imagine you are the person shoveling in the coal (fuel) to keep the furnace going. Coal burns slow and steady – a nugget of slow-burning energy.

You want a steady fire rolling throughout your tournament weekend.

Steady fire? – look up ‘list of complex carbohydrates’. These are the desired slow-burning nuggets of energy.

While you play, you may need to trickle in some extra ‘fast fuel’ to replace the extra energy (fire) you are expending. A banana trickle, electrolyte/glucose drinks, gels, fruit, etc. Experiment. I imagine the fast fuel as throwing a wad of paper into the engine. It will burn up fast, but this flash fire keeps going if you keep throwing the paper in.

After you play, you may be standing around talking with your friends about the match, but your engine is still pumped up and burning full force. It is very important to be putting in some carbohydrates (paper and coal) right after the match. Half a bagel (whole wheat or pumpernickel) with a fat like butter, peanut butter or cream cheese is good right now. Whole milk chocolate milk or a recovery drink that has just a bit of protein could be good too. Your body is torching any remaining carbohydrates post match as you stand there chewing/drinking and talking so you need to be replenishing. Then hop in the car with your parents and get a decent balanced meal with COMPLEX carbohydrates to prepare for your next match.

Look up ‘list of bad carbohydrates’ to get a feel for the food to stay away from during a tournament weekend.

Again, everyone is different and can handle different things in fueling their athlete body. This is our experience. It is up to you to figure out what works best for your ‘engine’. Have fun and good luck! :cool::cool:

NLBwell 01-17-2013 03:49 PM

It is good to give the body some protein right after exercise also, so that you have the fuel you need for your muscles to grow.

ga tennis 01-17-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunbeam (Post 7129896)
Now that you are a high level athlete, it is time to put some focus on the fuel you are putting into your body. If I have noticed anything over the years, it is that everyone is different on what works fuel-wise. Considerations are the climate you are in, how strenuous the matches are and how many matches you are having that day.

One kid’s bagel is another kid’s kiss of death. A bagel (in its bready density) is the equivalent of 11 pieces of white bread -- which is very high on the glycemic index (times 11!). For many, the blood sugar crash that results (about 2 hours later) can have an extremely negative effect physically and mentally during a match.

As you embark on your tennis career, it would be wise to keep a notebook of what you have eaten, the timing and when and how you felt during your match. Our family has some foods and meals that always seem to result in positive match result s (win or lose). Others, i.e. the aforementioned bagel are banned from our pre-match food repertoire during tournament weekends.

Consider your new high-level athlete body an engine. I like imagining an old style locomotive steam engine.

Imagine you are the person shoveling in the coal (fuel) to keep the furnace going. Coal burns slow and steady – a nugget of slow-burning energy.

You want a steady fire rolling throughout your tournament weekend.

Steady fire? – look up ‘list of complex carbohydrates’. These are the desired slow-burning nuggets of energy.

While you play, you may need to trickle in some extra ‘fast fuel’ to replace the extra energy (fire) you are expending. A banana trickle, electrolyte/glucose drinks, gels, fruit, etc. Experiment. I imagine the fast fuel as throwing a wad of paper into the engine. It will burn up fast, but this flash fire keeps going if you keep throwing the paper in.

After you play, you may be standing around talking with your friends about the match, but your engine is still pumped up and burning full force. It is very important to be putting in some carbohydrates (paper and coal) right after the match. Half a bagel (whole wheat or pumpernickel) with a fat like butter, peanut butter or cream cheese is good right now. Whole milk chocolate milk or a recovery drink that has just a bit of protein could be good too. Your body is torching any remaining carbohydrates post match as you stand there chewing/drinking and talking so you need to be replenishing. Then hop in the car with your parents and get a decent balanced meal with COMPLEX carbohydrates to prepare for your next match.

Look up ‘list of bad carbohydrates’ to get a feel for the food to stay away from during a tournament weekend.

Again, everyone is different and can handle different things in fueling their athlete body. This is our experience. It is up to you to figure out what works best for your ‘engine’. Have fun and good luck! :cool::cool:

Great post.I Learn something everyday.

db10s 01-17-2013 05:02 PM

In addition to what Sunbeam said, I listen to music, especially music that gets you energized... I even have a playlist of songs like Thunderstruck- AC/DC, Back in Black- AC/DC, Welcome to the Jungle- Guns n Roses, Levels- Avicii, etc... I listen to that in the evening before and when I am warming up. It helps me not play the kind of crap unenthusiastic tennis that I played in Jr. Orange Bowl by raising my mental intensity level.

NLBwell 01-17-2013 06:29 PM

I used to do that, but found that I was overhyped. A notch lower like Allman Bros. Statesboro Blues works for me. Don't want to get too high and then drop like a sugar rush. Played football as a kid, but that level of absolute peak intensity isn't really good for tennis.

TCF 01-17-2013 06:34 PM

==========================

gplracer 01-17-2013 06:41 PM

My son likes a four pack of nuggets from Chick fil a. He calls it his breakfast of champions.

Misterbill 01-17-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gplracer (Post 7130479)
My son likes a four pack of nuggets from Chick fil a. He calls it his breakfast of champions.

What does he do if he makes it to Sunday?

lendl1986 01-17-2013 07:45 PM

9 hours of sleep.
Raisin bran for breakfast.
Smartphone off until match is over.

anhuynh16 01-19-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misterbill (Post 7130626)
What does he do if he makes it to Sunday?

HAHAHA... this made up my miserable day...

No offense at all, but if you are a high-level player- you would know what to do the night before a match.

barringer97 01-19-2013 10:57 PM

You're 14?

Don't worry about it.

TCF 01-20-2013 07:20 AM

==========================

BMC9670 01-20-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7139753)
Sure, at 14 we were all invincible and could eat junk and play hoops all day.

But this is about habits. Proper warm up, proper technique, proper nutrition and pre and post match preparation. I do not think 14 is too early to start preparing properly for a tournament.

I read an article about how Uncle Toni used to argue with a young Nadal about eating properly. He told of a big match before which Rafa ate a bunch of junk food and Uncle Tony didn't say a word. The match went the distance and Rafa ran out of gas and actually wound up feeling sick. He told the story in reference to how Rafa gained his discipline with off-court preparation.

barringer97 01-20-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

But this is about habits. Proper warm up, proper technique, proper nutrition and pre and post match preparation. I do not think 14 is too early to start preparing properly for a tournament.

assuming he's not playing the jr. Australian Open, I think at 14 he probably shouldn't over think things and just play.

Misterbill 01-20-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

I agree. And this is not to diminish your point, but I think the vast majority of all decent coaches/academies are proponents of the same philosophy....specifically including proper nutrition

raging 01-20-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 7139966)
I read an article about how Uncle Toni used to argue with a young Nadal about eating properly. He told of a big match before which Rafa ate a bunch of junk food and Uncle Tony didn't say a word. The match went the distance and Rafa ran out of gas and actually wound up feeling sick. He told the story in reference to how Rafa gained his discipline with off-court preparation.

Good story it recurred even later when Rafa developed a passion for chocolate croissants in Paris. This was just prior to winning his first French Open at 19!
I recommend his bio. written by John Carlin.(RAFA My Story 2011).
The book really helps understand why Nadal is so possessed about being prepared.

We have all made the same mistakes with match preparation. It is a huge learning curve & you can't start soon enough, in my opinion.

Sunbeam's advice is good: experiment & find out what foods you need,like.
It is all about what your body responds best to. Pack your own bag & make sure you have everything you need. It will be good preparation for travelling later to tournaments & having all the clothes, racquets, string etc you need...

It is a great journey so don't forget to have fun.

Milan 01-22-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga tennis (Post 7129556)
Start sipping on the powerade zero. Pastas (complex carbs). In the morning a couple hours before you play eat a bagel and some peanut butter. Start sipping water soon as you wake up. Make sure you have a towel in your bag and i always recommend having your notes in your bag so you can reflect on what you need to be doing on change overs.

This is good minus the Powerade. Don't drink anything with Corn Syrup as it's deadly cancer causing toxins in it. Anything labeled "Zero" as in no sugar is dangerous... also anything with aspartame.. both Corn Syrup and Aspartame cause cancer, lowered iq, alzeimers, and other health defects.

Drink Water... if you need electrolytes go for Pedialyte which is excellent.

Pasta is good for energy although unhealthy on many other levels, but to some extent athletes need carbs for instant energy.

Drink tons of water and rest. Make sure your bag is prepared with ANYTHING you may need in your match, from nu-skin, to towels, clothes, tape, bandaids, scissors, drinks, snacks, gels, notes, etc...