Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Should I stock Wilson Natural Gut now? (before they become BT7?) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451290)

ultradr 01-17-2013 11:36 AM

Should I stock Wilson Natural Gut now? (before they become BT7?)
 
I have one original VS Team NG(non-BT7) and a few Wilson NG.

I was pondering if I should stock large number of Wilson NG before Babolat's BT7 trickle down to Wilson NG.

You know Babolat does OEM for Wilson NG. I wonder if Babolat will soon switch to BT7 for Wilson also (for saving cost, I guess).

I don't know when "ThermoGut" coating was introduced. Did that coating propagate to other OEM NG's Babolat manufactured for other brands fairly quickly?

ultradr 01-17-2013 11:43 AM

And when did Babolat VS become $47 ???

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-17-2013 12:23 PM

So they made it worse and jacked up the prices, way to burn your customer base Babolat.

JT_2eighty 01-17-2013 12:26 PM

Yikes. Glad I don't like Babolat Gut...

Yes, I would stock up on Wilson Gut if you like the pre-BT7 formula, it's still the old rate and old formula, only a matter of time til either/both of those features change

parasailing 01-17-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradr (Post 7129663)
I have one original VS Team NG(non-BT7) and a few Wilson NG.

I was pondering if I should stock large number of Wilson NG before Babolat's BT7 trickle down to Wilson NG.

You know Babolat does OEM for Wilson NG. I wonder if Babolat will soon switch to BT7 for Wilson also (for saving cost, I guess).

I don't know when "ThermoGut" coating was introduced. Did that coating propagate to other OEM NG's Babolat manufactured for other brands fairly quickly?

I bought as many sets of Wilson/Prince natural gut I could afford because we all know the end is near. Who knows how much longer they will have before all of it becomes that terrible BT7 and given the recent bump in price, makes it even more ridiculously priced for what you get.

ultradr 01-17-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7129784)
So they made it worse and jacked up the prices, way to burn your customer base Babolat.

But Babolat still seems to strike as the benchmark natural gut to majority of tennis players who are yet to aware of BT7 changes.

$46.95 for BT7 ???

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-17-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradr (Post 7129961)
But Babolat seems to strike as the benchmark natural gut to majority of tennis players.

$46.95 for BT7 ???

If players like Del Potro (k95) and Sampras (6.0 85) can stockpile old frames, why can't these millionaires stockpile a gut done right? :)

AlfaAce 01-17-2013 01:51 PM

I posted this issue to Daniel aka "Babloat Official" in post #545 this thread:http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...447810&page=28 Let's hope he comes back with a "good" answer after he looks into it further.

vsbabolat 01-17-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradr (Post 7129961)
But Babolat still seems to strike as the benchmark natural gut to majority of tennis players who are yet to aware of BT7 changes.

$46.95 for BT7 ???

That's because of the decades reputation that VS Gut has. VS Gut was the gold standard of string for decades before it was ruined by BT7.

AlfaAce 01-17-2013 02:01 PM

vsbabolat - Unfortunately, I love and appreciate your signature ;). Maybe Babolat would get the message loud and clear if everyone on TT who feels the same way added your signature to their posts! Kind of a passive aggressive TT protest.

Regardless, Daniel did say he will be discussing BT7 while in France this week. I hope he: 1. Knows the severity (multiple negative threads) of the issue here on TT, and 2. Will advocate for the original VS to be offered again.

Francis27 01-17-2013 02:48 PM

How long does gut usually last?

AlfaAce 01-17-2013 02:55 PM

That depends on MANY factors (tension, gauge, humidity, how you store your sticks, and especially your skills). But the great thing about gut is that it feels great from day one till the day it breaks. So, in that respect... it lasts a lot longer than any other type of string.

ultradr 01-17-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7129880)
I bought as many sets of Wilson/Prince natural gut I could afford because we all know the end is near. Who knows how much longer they will have before all of it becomes that terrible BT7 and given the recent bump in price, makes it even more ridiculously priced for what you get.

Yeah, my assessment so far is that BT7 plays like somewhere between Klip and Pacific Classic and that would worth about $28, IMHO.

pvaudio 01-18-2013 04:51 AM

^^^ I say it's just above Pac Classic. Comparing it to Klip is an insult.

JT_2eighty 01-18-2013 06:56 AM

Wow, how coincidental is this thread's topic to the fact that Wilson Gut overnight is now up in price by $2? Could hit $47 by tomorrow??

esgee48 01-18-2013 08:06 AM

Dunno guys. I would think that Wilson tells Babolat what they want in a natural gut, not Babolat telling Wilson how they will create the natural gut string. If they do read threads like this, then IMO Wilson would probably prefer the old formulation because they know TT people don't like BT7 vs non-BT7. Just my 2 cents.

pvaudio 01-18-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 7132051)
Dunno guys. I would think that Wilson tells Babolat what they want in a natural gut, not Babolat telling Wilson how they will create the natural gut string. If they do read threads like this, then IMO Wilson would probably prefer the old formulation because they know TT people don't like BT7 vs non-BT7. Just my 2 cents.

I think it's more likely that they don't read these threads and rather go with player demand. I honestly do not believe that pros using VS for their entire careers have switched to BT7 as though it's the same stuff. When you can tell a 1lb difference, then you can easily tell when something is a different formulation.

JT_2eighty 01-18-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 7132051)
Dunno guys. I would think that Wilson tells Babolat what they want in a natural gut, not Babolat telling Wilson how they will create the natural gut string. If they do read threads like this, then IMO Wilson would probably prefer the old formulation because they know TT people don't like BT7 vs non-BT7. Just my 2 cents.

I would agree with first point, that probably Wilson asks for a certain formulation from Babolat. To the second idea, I agree that IF they do read the forums, certain choices would be made... but most likely the threads on here aren't reaching too deep into either the corporate or professional atmospheres.

If they did, BT7 would have been discontinued a while ago!! :D
Now, TW is definitely reading the threads because 1 day into this thread and Wilson gut has already raised in price. Coincidence, or..??

Bhagi Katbamna 01-18-2013 09:39 AM

I suspect Babolat will keep making a supply of the old gut for professionals.

Say Chi Sin Lo 01-18-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7131602)
^^^ I say it's just above Pac Classic. Comparing it to Klip is an insult.

Why do you say that? I'm looking to try both Pacific Classic and Klip Legend.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse