Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Return grip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451355)

BCTennis 01-17-2013 08:32 PM

Return grip
 
Hi all,

I am asking for help from fellow double-handed backhand players out there. I am wondering if I should grip the racquet with my forehand grip (with my left hand gripping the top like I would usually do on a backhand), or if I should grip the racquet with my double handed backhand grip(continental on right hand). If I grip the racquet with my backhand grip, I have to switch my right hand from a continental grip to a semi-western grip. And if I grip with my forehand grip, I have to switch from semi-western to continental. Which one is the easier to execute? I am wondering because I have seen great players who return with different grips. If possible please dont leave a reply such as "do what youre comfortable doing" because if I do what Im comfortable with and its bad, then I'll be stuck with bad form for a long time :( And if you can list the pros and cons of both grips that would be great.

Thanks in advance, and if you need clarification on the description just let me know and I'll try my best to explain what I mean.

Cheers

Fuji 01-17-2013 08:39 PM

I always start in my two handed return grip since my right hand (I'm a righty) is in Eastern FH grip. If I get jammed I can hit a (hopefully) clean forehand to start the rally, or slide over the 1 bevel to SW which is my standard forehand grip.

Since you use continental I'd probably use the 2HBH grip to start, because if worse comes to worse you can still slice it off the forehand if your grip switching ability isn't feeling up to par.

-Fuji

BCTennis 01-17-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7130890)
I always start in my two handed return grip since my right hand (I'm a righty) is in Eastern FH grip. If I get jammed I can hit a (hopefully) clean forehand to start the rally, or slide over the 1 bevel to SW which is my standard forehand grip.

Since you use continental I'd probably use the 2HBH grip to start, because if worse comes to worse you can still slice it off the forehand if your grip switching ability isn't feeling up to par.

-Fuji

Alright thanks for the tips. One extra question: Do you have your left foot or your right foot in front before your return? David Ferrer does the more orthodox footwork with the right foot in front before the split-step. However, another greater returner, Kei Nishikori, actually has his left foot out in front. Is there a reason why he prefers that? Or is it just personal preference and what you are used to?

BCTennis 01-17-2013 08:45 PM

Oh to clarify things Im also a righty

Orange614 01-17-2013 09:06 PM

My return grip usually depended on the serve I am expecting. Big first server just looking to block back with continental grip. If I'm looking to attack a return (2nd serve) I usually hold my forehand grip to show my opponent I'm looking to attack.

As far as feet I prefer to have my outside foot infront of my inside foot. I'm right handed so deuce side right foot add side left foot. I do this (especially on duece side) because a T-serve will get to me quicker and I already have my feet mostly set. A wide serve usually has more spin and a longer distance to travel so I have more time to adjust my feet.

rkelley 01-17-2013 10:33 PM

I do right hand in normal fh grip (strong E., almost SW) and left hand in normal bh grip (SW fh). With this combo I can punch fhs back with my normal fh grip w/o a grip change, take a big cut and slower balls to my fh, and hit with my left hand in its normal bh grip. I have to do a grip change with my right hand for a backhand, but since my left hand is the dominant hand on that stroke it's OK.

I used to go with a full back hand grip and return hard stuff to my fh with a continental, but I found my current set-up to allow more aggressive returns off my fh.

spaceman_spiff 01-18-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 7131061)
I do right hand in normal fh grip (strong E., almost SW) and left hand in normal bh grip (SW fh). With this combo I can punch fhs back with my normal fh grip w/o a grip change, take a big cut and slower balls to my fh, and hit with my left hand in its normal bh grip. I have to do a grip change with my right hand for a backhand, but since my left hand is the dominant hand on that stroke it's OK.

I used to go with a full back hand grip and return hard stuff to my fh with a continental, but I found my current set-up to allow more aggressive returns off my fh.

Same here. Left hand set for backhand; right hand set for forehand. When it goes to my backhand, the grip change on the right is already part of the shoulder turn/backswing, so it doesn't add any time to the swing.

I actually do the same now when rallying. After a backhand, I leave the left as it is and change the right back to a forehand grip. After a forehand, I leave the right as it is and put the left back on the handle ready for a backhand.

rkelley 01-18-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff (Post 7131706)
Same here. Left hand set for backhand; right hand set for forehand. When it goes to my backhand, the grip change on the right is already part of the shoulder turn/backswing, so it doesn't add any time to the swing.

I actually do the same now when rallying. After a backhand, I leave the left as it is and change the right back to a forehand grip. After a forehand, I leave the right as it is and put the left back on the handle ready for a backhand.

I tried it for rallying too but it just didn't work for me. I don't know why. Grip changes during a rally are rarely a problem, even if my opponent is slammin' them at me, which is pretty typical, so I decided to blow it off and go with right hand in continental for rallying. The thing is, I hit every shot (serves, volleys, overhead, bh, and some blocked/chipped fh) with my right hand in continental except my fh, so there's some economy.

Nellie 01-18-2013 07:01 AM

I (righty) used to receive serve with my left hand ready for a BH/ Right hand ready for FH. I think this was from Agassi. As noted by others, it was pretty easy to do a grip change as I rotated my shoulders, when you can crank returns. However, I was getting jammed a lot on hard body serves, to which I was trying to hit blocking volleys (badly) with my forehand grip. Lefties, in particular, were eating me up with slicing body serves. So I switched to returning with my backhand grip (right-hand continental) to volley-block returns, when needed.

LeeD 01-20-2013 10:51 AM

Me lefty, always use groundie forehand grip and off hand ready on topspin backhand grip...when confident.
When tentative, always conti multi grip to slice the return.

Fuji 01-20-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCTennis (Post 7130899)
Alright thanks for the tips. One extra question: Do you have your left foot or your right foot in front before your return? David Ferrer does the more orthodox footwork with the right foot in front before the split-step. However, another greater returner, Kei Nishikori, actually has his left foot out in front. Is there a reason why he prefers that? Or is it just personal preference and what you are used to?

I have my left foot in front mostly for extra weight transfer off my forehand, since I like returning off my forehand most. If I return with my backhand, I swing my right leg out front and am able to take take serves on the rise given its not an absolute bomb Haha!

-Fuji


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse