Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Querry vs Wawrinka (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451365)

sandiegoman 01-17-2013 10:57 PM

Querry vs Wawrinka

Who do you think will win?

augustobt 01-17-2013 11:02 PM

Wawrinka in 4.

RollTrackTake 01-18-2013 12:15 AM

I haven't seen Querrey play a ton but watching this match he seems to have all the tools to be a top 15 or maybe top 10 player. He is ripping his forehand all over the court. Holding his booming serve well. Had a couple break opportunities but couldn't convert. Comes to the net more than most players nowadays and won points there. Warwinka started to play to his backhand more which is serviceable but not threatening. Yet Warwinka is up 2 sets??? Warwinka's strokes in comparison don't appear to be as heavy. His forehand lands just past the service box a lot. His topspin 1HBH is good and he seems to be able to get some sick angles on it for winners. his first serve is also beastly. So is Querrey's achilles heal mental?

W.P. Mayhew 01-18-2013 12:20 AM

Stan takes it. 7-6, 7-5, 6-4.

TheCheese 01-18-2013 12:21 AM

It's too bad Baker didn't get a shot against Wawrinka. That would be a match I'd love to see.

augustobt 01-18-2013 12:40 AM

Wawrinka was playing so well, I don't think that Baker would have stand a chance against him.

Anyway, beautiful shirt he was wearing.

boramiNYC 01-18-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollTrackTake (Post 7131228)
I haven't seen Querrey play a ton but watching this match he seems to have all the tools to be a top 15 or maybe top 10 player. He is ripping his forehand all over the court. Holding his booming serve well. Had a couple break opportunities but couldn't convert. Comes to the net more than most players nowadays and won points there. Warwinka started to play to his backhand more which is serviceable but not threatening. Yet Warwinka is up 2 sets??? Warwinka's strokes in comparison don't appear to be as heavy. His forehand lands just past the service box a lot. His topspin 1HBH is good and he seems to be able to get some sick angles on it for winners. his first serve is also beastly. So is Querrey's achilles heal mental?

Querrey has two weapons, serve and fh. For opponents who are terrified by these weapons he usually kicks butt. But for opponents who can defuse these weapons he is totally lost. His game relies too much on these weapons and they can be liability as well as weaponry depending on the opponents. Strangely it's the story for so many young American players. Such game lacks versatility and resiliency.

augustobt 01-18-2013 02:18 AM

Wawrinka hit some backhand winners that stunned my eyes. Didn't see his BH so consistent since 2008. And that's quite a lot of time.

Gugafan 01-18-2013 05:33 AM

Stan has the complete game. He was serving bigger than Querry today which really surprised me. Just too often he folds against the top 4 guys, without playing his best.

I have seen Wawrinka blow away guys like Almagro, Tipsy, Berdych and even Ferrer who are all ranked higher than him. He really needs to get his ranking up to avoid playing the top 4 in the second week.

bjk 01-18-2013 05:49 AM

Why doesn't SamQ have a slice backhand? He's like one of the women out there who only hit two-handed backhands, like Sharapova. With his game and footwork he needs a slice.

Nostradamus 01-18-2013 05:55 AM

Best backhand in history of the game won. Querry forgot this fact.

stringertom 01-18-2013 07:07 AM

The Worm stayed close with The Donkey. Let's hope Wawa can take inspiration from this and give a better result than his normal output vs Djok.

veroniquem 01-18-2013 09:51 AM

Wawa is much more talented/solid than Querrey. No contest there.