Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Courier as a commentator (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451376)

Blocker 01-18-2013 02:56 AM

Courier as a commentator

For the past 7 or 8 years, Channel 7, the local broadcaster has had Jim Courier as its prime commentator for the AO. Before Courier, they had John McEnroe, for 1 year I think, and as interesting as he was as a player, I just found McEnroe as a commentator boring and old school. I was never a fan of Courier as a player, but I must say, I find his commentating very insightful and he's very well versed as far as the AO is concerned.

fed_is_GOD 01-18-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocker (Post 7131454)
For the past 7 or 8 years, Channel 7, the local broadcaster has had Jim Courier as its prime commentator for the AO. Before Courier, they had John McEnroe, for 1 year I think, and as interesting as he was as a player, I just found McEnroe as a commentator boring and old school. I was never a fan of Courier as a player, but I must say, I find his commentating very insightful and he's very well versed as far as the AO is concerned.

Agreed.. throw in Simon Reed too.. he does a fantastic job..

forzamilan90 01-18-2013 02:59 AM

Courier has a very nice voice and demeanor.

Jeffrey573639 01-18-2013 03:00 AM

+1. I think he's great

Blocker 01-18-2013 03:03 AM

Do countries outside Australia ever get Roger Rasheed as a commentator? Never made it as a pro but he used to coach Hewitt. He does special comments at the AO and he was criticised a few years back for getting the camera man to slow down a motion of Venus Williams' *** as she was serving, when she wore these dark coloured tight pants under her dress, and at first glass it appeared she was wearing nothing at all.

Alchemy-Z 01-18-2013 03:12 AM

Yeah I always like Jim's he always seems to hit on a variety of subjects

How the game went/how they think the next match will go/something about clothing equipment/other hobbies/funny stories etc.

augustobt 01-18-2013 03:23 AM

I love the interviews (and comments) that Jim does on the court.

Candide 01-18-2013 03:28 AM

I have to admit he has grown on me. I used to cringe at the passive aggressive nark-fest relationship he had with John Alexander on air. Don't miss Alexander but there has to be a better straight man (no pun intended) than Bruce.

Bartelby 01-18-2013 03:39 AM

Lleyton 'Why didn't I get Tomic's draw' Hewitt is a very good commentator and he'll be in action in Tomic v Federer.

Courier is a bit bland and cheesy and there's too much faux locker room banter, but yes the toxic JA now stinks up Parliament.

Blocker 01-18-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustobt (Post 7131488)
I love the interviews (and comments) that Jim does on the court.

My favourite interview he did was with Federer the night he destroyed Roddick in the 2007 AO semi final 4 0 and 2. First question Jim asked Roger: "Why did you do it?" haha.

Bartelby 01-18-2013 03:40 AM

The guys who do the cycling on sbs should mentor the tennis yobs on seven.

tennis_pro 01-18-2013 03:53 AM

He's a better interviewer IMO but still a very good commentator.

Kilco 01-18-2013 03:57 AM

It's (Gilles) Simon, not Simone courier you twat!

slickerthansleek 01-18-2013 04:22 AM

The Channel 7 commentators are appalling, but Jim Courier is pretty good. You just know he wants to facepalm every time Bruce McAvaney says something stupid, but he usually turns it around pretty smoothly and provides insightful commentary. He has a nice voice, too.

It'll be good when Lleyton retires and joins the commentary team, he makes a great commentator also. Listening to Lleyton and Jim commentate a match would be a pleasant experience, unlike listening to Rennae Stubbs and Sam Smith.

RAFA2005RG 01-18-2013 06:16 AM

The only thing I don't like about Courier is his voice. Get rid of that and no problem.

Mustard 01-18-2013 07:23 AM

Jim Courier is a great commentator. I haven't heard Lleyton Hewitt commentating yet.

ruerooo 01-18-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocker (Post 7131467)
Do countries outside Australia ever get Roger Rasheed as a commentator? Never made it as a pro but he used to coach Hewitt.

Isn't he coaching Monfils now? I thought that was what I heard.

dhdriver 01-18-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 7132172)
Isn't he coaching Monfils now? I thought that was what I heard.

I thought they split and now Rasheed coaches Tsonga.

Anyways, I like Courier as an interviewer. It seems like some players like to have fun when responding to his answers.

As for Hewitt, love his commentary, especially when he has a lot input on players he has played before (like when Roddick played Wawrinka in 2010 at the Aussie Open). Great analysis from Hewitt.

Monsieur_DeLarge 01-18-2013 09:34 AM

I've never taken to his on-court interviews, but I really enjoyed his post-match analysis at last year's French Open for ITV. I suspect I'd like his commentary. I was always a fan of Peter Fleming as well, who I think has a similar, laconic style. Plus the Goodall-Koenig double-act, naturally.

I've always felt the golden rule of tennis commentary is "less is more". So for all you posters moaning about whoever makes you claw at your ears with their incessant blabbing, I give you a taste of the late Dan Maskell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSJUOTOESJQ

That link is to an Evert vs Mandlikova match at Wimbledon from 1986, and it's 30-30 before he says anything. Anything at all. Not a word for the first three points. Think Pam Shriver or Patrick McEnroe could manage that? ;)

Regards,
MDL

DRII 01-18-2013 09:45 AM

Courier is pretty articulate, w/o the commensurate intelligence...