Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gut Hybrid Problem (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451398)

tommy_tennis80 01-18-2013 06:17 AM

Gut Hybrid Problem

Hi guys,

I've recently took the plunge and bought a electronic stringing machine. As I now have the freedom to try new stringing setups (in my unmodded AG 200 Tour), I decided to try a gut/poly hybrid setup as follows: VS Touch 16 Mains 57lbs, Cyberflash 1.25 Crosses 52lbs. The gut as expected stays in position and snaps back how the cyberflash moves all over the place and causes a serious lack in control, especially when hitting with spin :confused:.

Any ideas what might be the problem?? Is it too much of a difference in tension?

I should note that I also strung up Pros Pro Vendetta 1.25 Mains 52lbs, Pro Red Code 16 48lbs and it plays fantastic with spin, control and power. The difference was night and day!! Would appreciate any advise. Cheers

Lambsscroll 01-18-2013 06:32 AM

I'm guessing the poly isn't as stiff as some others and thats why your having to adjust it so often. I would remount the racket and cut out the cyberflash (don't touch the gut) and restring the other half of the cyberflash at a tension of 55 pounds.

tommy_tennis80 01-18-2013 09:02 AM

Thanks for the advice Lambsscroll, I'll give it a go and see what happens. Not sure Cyberflash is the best string for this setup.

polytheist 01-18-2013 01:49 PM

play style? skill level? what are your priorities for strings? control/durability/consistency/power/spin/value?

tommy_tennis80 01-19-2013 10:32 AM

I'm an all court player. I have a big serve which is a weapon with the right stringbed but I like a compromise between firmness for serve and softness for touch shots. I have played with Biphase 16 @ 55 (lasted 8 hours before snapped) and thought it was amazing and I will always have a racket strung up with this (I actually had great spin but loved the ability to hit flat winners consistently). Just felt the need to see what the gut/poly hybrid was all about. I would say my main priorities are good power and spin (i find my racket provides great control), cost isn't too much of an issue as this could be a tournament setup in my mind.

Cheers

tennisplayer3275 01-19-2013 10:58 AM

I played with a full bed of X-1 Biphase 17g @ 57lbs for quite a while and didn't have the power or spin I liked. It was arm friendly, but I just didn't feel like I was getting what I needed out of it.

I recently tried a hybrid set up with X-1 Biphase 17g in the mains and Lux ALU Power Rough in the crosses both at 54lbs. It was a little rough on my arm at first, but once I slowed my swing speed down a little the string took care of the rest. Power and spin have returned and my arm is happy (for now).

Not sure if this will work for you, but it was successful for me.