Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Who cares about Injection Molding Racquets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451422)

yonexRx32 01-18-2013 09:28 AM

Who cares about Injection Molding Racquets?

They have been off the market for two decades. They felt different, which for some meant great. To my knowledge there was only one manufacturer. Their racquets still have many fanatics.

Is there a niche for a modern injection molded racket?

Please see the poll and check the boxes that apply to you.
Feel free to suggest options if you don't find the relevant one.

NB: The Prince Vortex was NOT injection molded, though it did incorporate thermoplastic components

NB2: I didn't realize that the poll allows only one entry per user. Please pick the most important feature and add a reply with the others, I'll tally the results.

treblings 01-18-2013 09:41 AM

i voted for 92, i think that headsize is more relavant today.
the balance isnīt as important, since i can customize. in this regard it would be nice to have a racquet that is light enough that you can put some lead on it.
Made in USA is nice as long as the quality control is better than Made in China. not everything that is made in China is necessarily poor qc. the western markets are just flooded with cheap products from China

BlueB 01-18-2013 09:45 AM

I don't seem to be able to click multiple selections. Can you fix?

I'd like 7 HL, 92 sqin.

Idealy, I'd realy like to see it in 95-98 sqin, 4 HL and at least 20g, lighter then original. That would leave the space to tune to your desired weight and balance.

yonexRx32 01-18-2013 09:53 AM

^ Thanks for pointing this out. I don't seem to be able to edit the poll. Please see the edits to the post.

sureshs 01-18-2013 12:48 PM

Does injection molded mean that the racket is "solid" unlike the one today which are hollow inside the carbon fiber tube?

vsbabolat 01-18-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7132850)
Does injection molded mean that the racket is "solid" unlike the one today which are hollow inside the carbon fiber tube?

No....
Here are sections cut from the Max 200G to show the internal pillars that you can only have with a Injection Molded Frame.

COPYRIGHT VSBABOLAT

A real piece of art how Dunlop manufactured these racquets. Here is a layman's explanation of the Injection Molded Process works. First there is a casting of a low melting point alloy core. The alloy core is then put in the injection molding machine. A Compound of GRAPHITE and NYLON is Melted and then injected around the alloy core. Once the graphite and Nylon is cooled the Alloy core is heated up so it melts and then poured out of the frame. This leaves individual string holes that have pillars inside the frame. There are no holes drilled in these injection molded frames by Dunlop.

vsbabolat 01-18-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonexRx32 (Post 7132308)
They have been off the market for two decades. They felt different, which for some meant great. To my knowledge there was only one manufacturer. Their racquets still have many fanatics.

Is there a niche for a modern injection molded racket?

Please see the poll and check the boxes that apply to you.
Feel free to suggest options if you don't find the relevant one.

NB: The Prince Vortex was NOT injection molded, though it did incorporate thermoplastic components

NB2: I didn't realize that the poll allows only one entry per user. Please pick the most important feature and add a reply with the others, I'll tally the results.

If you can figure out away to get a IMF that is 95sq.in, 22mm wide beam width, and still being about 12oz strung without breaking you will hit a home run!!!!!!!

yonexRx32 01-18-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7132850)

vsbabolat beat me to it. I only have to add that the frame is still hollow and that is because of structural reasons. The same way a steel tube is more rigid than a steel rod of the same mass, a hollow frame will have better properties than a solid frame.

yonexRx32 01-18-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 7133206)
If you can figure out away to get a IMF that is 95sq.in, 22mm wide beam width, and still being about 12oz strung without breaking you will hit a home run!!!!!!!

12oz strung is not something I would attempt. 95 sq. in may be feasible. Given that the 84 has a sweet spot comparable to a modern 90, do you really want to move through the air a bigger hoop? The 500i is 95 sq in and takes a lot to handle. A nice stick though once you get the hang of it.

vsbabolat 01-18-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonexRx32 (Post 7133233)
12oz strung is not something I would attempt. 95 sq. in may be feasible. Given that the 84 has a sweet spot comparable to a modern 90, do you really want to move through the air a bigger hoop? The 500i is 95 sq in and takes a lot to handle. A nice stick though once you get the hang of it.

The Max500i was also a absolute log. The ones I had were heavy about 13+oz.

Backhanded Compliment 01-18-2013 03:25 PM

There are many backhand shots that I can only hit with a Max 200G and to this day the way it destroys the ball on the forehand (very flat) in a way that for me has been impossible to duplicate with any other frame. Also those rackets were very flexible. An update would need an RA of at least 50 but no higher than 57. A special kind of control and power combo with that frame.

I feel it would be cost prohibitive to use the same hotmelt metal used in the originals.

Rock Strongo 01-18-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonexRx32 (Post 7133211)
vsbabolat beat me to it. I only have to add that the frame is still hollow and that is because of structural reasons. The same way a steel tube is more rigid than a steel rod of the same mass, a hollow frame will have better properties than a solid frame.

Which one's that? Never seen it before!

EDIT: just found the site: I kinda want 2 of them!

mctennis 01-19-2013 09:16 PM

A racquet made in the USA, sweet!!

Racketdesign 01-20-2013 09:33 AM

Scary high mould costs for the casting and overmoulding. I think the last set I used at Dunlop cost around Ģ200,000

yonexRx32 01-20-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racketdesign (Post 7140658)
Scary high mould costs for the casting and overmoulding. I think the last set I used at Dunlop cost around Ģ200,000

And that was, of course, 20 years ago. We would love to learn from your experience.

robby c 01-20-2013 10:11 AM

Price?
I know, if you have to ask you can't afford it.

yonexRx32 01-20-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby c (Post 7140810)
Price?
I know, if you have to ask you can't afford it.

You might be pleasantly surprised by the launch campaign. :)

Racketdesign 01-20-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonexRx32 (Post 7140678)
And that was, of course, 20 years ago. We would love to learn from your experience.

Who is we?