Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   the only thing worse than playing a ringer... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451446)

Matt H. 01-18-2013 12:19 PM

the only thing worse than playing a ringer...

is playing one who was ordered to lay down and take a loss.

Very frustrating league match last night. I'm playing against a former all-american from Princeton in the 90's, who I've seen play locally, and he's SOUNDLY defeated all the 4.5's in the area over the past year.

I take the court knowing i'm probably going to lose 1 and 1, but it's an opportunity to really hunker down and focus on playing well and hitting good shots.

Instead, he plays patty-cake, intentionally double faults, intentionally hits overheads into the bottom of the net or into the back fence on the fly, or simple doesn't move to a ball that's a step away.

Then, it's a mix of screaming DTL backhand winners or insane touch drop shots so that I only win in a 3rd set breaker.

I called him out on it after the match and he tries to tell me that he hasn't played in months, but I pull up the USTA app on my phone and he's fresh off a win 7 days ago.

gmatheis 01-18-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt H. (Post 7132784)
is playing one who was ordered to lay down and take a loss.

Very frustrating league match last night. I'm playing against a former all-american from Princeton in the 90's, who I've seen play locally, and he's SOUNDLY defeated all the 4.5's in the area over the past year.

I take the court knowing i'm probably going to lose 1 and 1, but it's an opportunity to really hunker down and focus on playing well and hitting good shots.

Instead, he plays patty-cake, intentionally double faults, intentionally hits overheads into the bottom of the net or into the back fence on the fly, or simple doesn't move to a ball that's a step away.

Then, it's a mix of screaming DTL backhand winners or insane touch drop shots so that I only win in a 3rd set breaker.

I called him out on it after the match and he tries to tell me that he hasn't played in months, but I pull up the USTA app on my phone and he's fresh off a win 7 days ago.

file a grievance with your local league coordinator

Matt H. 01-18-2013 12:30 PM

what's that going to do?

there's no proof LOL

psYcon 01-18-2013 12:50 PM

if you had already figured it out why not throw the match yourself? that would put him in a tough spot.

gmatheis 01-18-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt H. (Post 7132811)
what's that going to do?

there's no proof LOL

an attitude like that is why he gets away with it.

Maybe your complaint wont do anything, maybe the next persons wont help either. But down the road if a bunch of different people make similar complaints maybe it will get some attention.

Remember, if you're not part of the solution ... you're part of the problem.

Joeyg 01-19-2013 04:58 AM

And people ask me why I no longer play USTA league tennis. LOL!!!

tennis tom 01-19-2013 07:59 AM

He's sandbagging, hey a win's a win, make him buy the beer and get his business card for future reference. In the pros they get fined for tanking matches. He wants to stay on the team with his buddies, I guess that's what they taught him at Princeton, follow the money. That was a good suggestion to tank yourself, maybe play him left-handed.

Rjtennis 01-19-2013 04:18 PM

Ya, that bs and would frustrate me. I'm not own to file a complaint but in that situation I would think about it. Maybe others have complained about this guy and that would be your proof.

Sakkijarvi 01-20-2013 07:33 AM

Yup, in that scenario I would have went for a winner on every stroke, an ace on every serve. And for sure call the guy out on it.

Hell, post his name here.

JLyon 01-20-2013 05:27 PM

in this situation, play a few games then retire with an injury, just play 7 games.

NumbersGuy 01-21-2013 04:37 AM

I've handled it just as JLyon suggests. Retired at 5-1. No sense getting your own rating unfairly boosted. It's not like it's going to be an enjoyable match to continue. Very effective.

I've also seen captains (in a non-Sectionals-track league) band together and decline to play teams where this was their modus operandi. Very satisfying to see. Much more effective than filing grievances, though that's still an OK (though probably futile) idea after the fact so as to build up an official track record on the guy.

goober 01-21-2013 05:29 AM

The problem is that these guys learn how to throw matches better. That guy in the OP was a novice at throwing matches. He made it way too obvious. Around here certain teams have it down to an artform. They put on a big acting job that they are having a bad day or they miss shots in subtle way. Since they are the much better player they are in complete control of the match and the outcome.

NumbersGuy 01-21-2013 05:33 AM

Agreed, goober. The difference in my case was that I had reason going into the match to suspect that he would tank. If you have no reason to suspect, then a good acting job can easily fool you.

Govnor 01-21-2013 12:02 PM

What a life these people must live. "Acting" out a game of tennis to the conclusion they want. How pathetic.

ehtennis 01-21-2013 03:49 PM

Throwing the match in return would have been pretty interesting. Seeing two people both trying to lose a match would be enough to make me find another league.

It's a bummer that the rating system contributes to this madness. The OP could get bumped up by beating the guy who has probably defeated some great players and should be playing a level above where he/she is. Oh well.

NumbersGuy 01-22-2013 03:37 AM

I've seen it happen and it was hilarious. By the time the last two games rolled around, it was eight straight double faults. Into the net of course, otherwise they were being called in.

LuckyR 01-22-2013 07:13 AM

Isn't it interesting the machinations people will go through to get a plastic trophy signifying... not much, or a T shirt that says: "Champion"?

goober 01-22-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7148038)
Isn't it interesting the machinations people will go through to get a plastic trophy signifying... not much, or a T shirt that says: "Champion"?

As far as team tennis is considered, I think people often get pressured into doing things that they would never consider doing if they were on their own. If the ringer guy was in a flex league or tourney I am sure he would just roll over the OP. But peer pressure to remain not bumped when the team is aiming is sectionals/nationals makes people act unethically. I have seen it happen all the time with what people would otherwise consider "good" guys. They rationalize their behavior so that the ends justifies the means. Unfortunately the behavior is reinforced by everyone around them and the other top teams in the league doing the same thing.

chatt_town 01-22-2013 05:08 PM

even better...just fake an injury...no need in having two people trying to tank the same match. That match would still be going on now.lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis tom (Post 7135730)
He's sandbagging, hey a win's a win, make him buy the beer and get his business card for future reference. In the pros they get fined for tanking matches. He wants to stay on the team with his buddies, I guess that's what they taught him at Princeton, follow the money. That was a good suggestion to tank yourself, maybe play him left-handed.