Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Luxilon 4G Review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451463)

West Coast Ace 01-18-2013 03:19 PM

Luxilon 4G Review

(note: searched and didn't see a thread)

Just put a full bed in for the 1st time and went out for a hit (ball machine). Been hearing good things about it from the stringers at my shop and guys I play with.

Youtek Prestige Mid; 54 libs; have been doing a hybrid RPM Blast/VS Touch for the last 8 months or so.

The first impression is how soft the string feels on groundies. Which for those of us who don't have 24 yr old shoulders is a good thing. Great control. And I felt like I was getting tons of spin; will verify that on the weekend when I hit with my friend who's used to what comes over.

Volleys felt like butter.

Maybe a little less powerful; going to verify this on the weekend too.

And makes a very nice 'pop' when you hit one hard and clean.

DonBot 01-30-2013 01:02 PM

Yeah I really like this stuff alot in a full bed...how does it perform in a babolat frame? I don't think its terribly stiff in my volkls but I think that is a bad measuring stick lol

tennisnut123 02-01-2013 01:32 PM

I hit with the 1.30 in my 2013 Wilson Blade 98 16x19 @ 57 lbs. I usually string other lux of the same gauge at that tension and i thought the 4g was a little stiff, even after breaking it in. Spin was nice, and the "pop" sound you get is definitely a great thing. But as for soft im not so sure that I got that from it. Could be the tension that i strung my racket at, but I honestly liked Big Banger Original more, even though it definitely didnt last as long as the 4G. For Spin/Durability/pop it is really nice though.

THAAS909 06-06-2013 01:22 PM

anyone try a hybrid?

TimothyO 06-06-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THAAS909 (Post 7480490)
anyone try a hybrid?

I love it as a cross with VS mains. Best contro and tension maintenancel of any poly cross.

qwertre 06-07-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THAAS909 (Post 7480490)
anyone try a hybrid?

And I've been playing with it as mains in my K-blade 98's, synth gut crosses. I like it, but I don't love it. I'm not feeling like I get a lot of spin, but I'm getting enough. The control is great, very low powered-- the string holds tension very well. I like the feel. I think, in general, 4G is a poly that does many things well, but nothing really great.

Nostradamus 06-07-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 7133253)
(note: searched and didn't see a thread)

Just put a full bed in for the 1st time and went out for a hit (ball machine). Been hearing good things about it from the stringers at my shop and guys I play with.

Youtek Prestige Mid; 54 libs; have been doing a hybrid RPM Blast/VS Touch for the last 8 months or so.

The first impression is how soft the string feels on groundies. Which for those of us who don't have 24 yr old shoulders is a good thing. Great control. And I felt like I was getting tons of spin; will verify that on the weekend when I hit with my friend who's used to what comes over.

Volleys felt like butter.

Maybe a little less powerful; going to verify this on the weekend too.

And makes a very nice 'pop' when you hit one hard and clean.

String is no good. No power and only control. spin is mediocre. do they not have this in west coast

SmilinBob 06-07-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertre (Post 7482560)
And I've been playing with it as mains in my K-blade 98's, synth gut crosses. I like it, but I don't love it. I'm not feeling like I get a lot of spin, but I'm getting enough. The control is great, very low powered-- the string holds tension very well. I like the feel. I think, in general, 4G is a poly that does many things well, but nothing really great.

This. Exactly.

I have it in the mains w/ NXT in the crosses. Outstanding control and it doesn't feel stiff, although it does feel firm. Took a little while to settle in but plays well now. If I were to do it again I'd swap the string around and use a cheaper syn gut/multi in the mains.