Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wilson NXT Tour? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451467)

AtTheNet 01-18-2013 03:56 PM

Wilson NXT Tour?

Please forgive me if a thread like this is redundant, but I need some input.

My background: Male, age 55. Played competitively in high school in the mid-70's, and at that time was a pretty decent player. Didn't play much for nearly 30 years, just took the game back up last year. Had some fun with lessons and drills for 3.5s, I seemed to have a lot more game than others in the classes. So, I signed up for a 4.0 ladder and got my butt whipped pretty soundly in most matches, but had other matches with lots of close games.

I bought a couple Volkl Organix 10 325 racquets, I like them quite a bit. I am a fairly agressive player that will go to the net given half an opportunity, and the Volkls seem to play pretty well for me.

When I bought the racquets, the shop recommmended Dunlop Silk 17G string, so OK--what did I know? I thought it played OK, but I have been out of the game so long that I am not current about today's strings. I have read nothing but negative comments on this forum about Silk, and the sticks are going to need restringing fairly soon. My dilemma is that I don't know too much about the strings on the market. I would like a string that has good feel and power, durability is not a huge factor, although I don't want to restring after just a few hours of play. I am considering Wilson NXT Tour, but would appreciate some input from others on the forum.

MikeHitsHard93 01-18-2013 04:01 PM

Natural gut is the ultimate playing string, but if you don't want to spend that much then I would suggest technifibre x1 biphase or prince premier lt.

acura9927 01-18-2013 05:42 PM

I use Nxt Tour in my Yonex. Not enough spin for me, power and comfort are excellent. I have it strung 1pd under mid tension.
However if your forte is playing at the net Nxt Tour should be good for you, nice response to powerful passing shorts.

mikeler 01-18-2013 06:04 PM

Check out my multis thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048

AtTheNet 01-19-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7133576)

Excellent overview of lots and lots of strings--thanks for your efforts in putting that information together for everyone.

I do have a third Volkl O10 frame that will get strung with Natural Gut--looking forward to playing with that.

It appears that a fair number of people on the forum string their own racquets, which appeals to me. Is a machine like the Klipper a good choice? I don't have the room (or budget, for that matter) for a $2K machine.

I greatly appreciate the input.

mikeler 01-19-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheNet (Post 7135626)
Excellent overview of lots and lots of strings--thanks for your efforts in putting that information together for everyone.

I do have a third Volkl O10 frame that will get strung with Natural Gut--looking forward to playing with that.

It appears that a fair number of people on the forum string their own racquets, which appeals to me. Is a machine like the Klipper a good choice? I don't have the room (or budget, for that matter) for a $2K machine.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=349814

Ramon 01-19-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheNet (Post 7135626)

If a Klippermate is all you can afford, it will certainly pay for itself quickly, and you'll probably be happy with it. I personally prefer a machine with fixed clamps, which will allow you to do a better job and has nicer features. They start at about $450-500 new.

J011yroger 01-19-2013 09:48 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=184942

My guide.

J

AtTheNet 01-21-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7135967)

Thanks, that is an excellent overview. I appreciate the work that you put into that.

AtTheNet 01-21-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 7135911)
If a Klippermate is all you can afford, it will certainly pay for itself quickly, and you'll probably be happy with it. I personally prefer a machine with fixed clamps, which will allow you to do a better job and has nicer features. They start at about $450-500 new.

Any specific suggestions for a machine? I see that TW carries some Gamma machines in that price range, which is doable. Or are there better choices out there? Please advise, thanks.

mikeler 01-21-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheNet (Post 7145245)
Any specific suggestions for a machine? I see that TW carries some Gamma machines in that price range, which is doable. Or are there better choices out there? Please advise, thanks.

I own the Gamma X-ST. With the exception of 1 clamp I have to retighten after each stringing, everything else is great. I wish mine had the new brake design.

AtTheNet 01-21-2013 03:17 PM

Found the sticky on stringing machines. Lots of info to digest there!

I am interested in stringing my own racquets mainly because I don't have a lot of faith in the local pro shop's stringing ability.

Ramon 01-21-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheNet (Post 7145245)

The stickies on stringing machines will answer your questions. Personally, I use the drop weight stringer from Alpha. I'm very happy with it except that it's not long enough for some racquetball racquets and I had to fix the problem of creep (towers moved slightly due to stress from main strings).

I also decided to get a stringing machine because I didn't trust anyone else to do the same job I would do. I can't imagine letting anyone else string my racquets now!

Overheadsmash 01-21-2013 06:28 PM

I bought a stringway and taught myself to string. Great machine.

My favorite setup so far is Technifibre X1 biphase 16 in the mains, and Technifibre Red Code 18 in the crosses. I go 52 on the biphase, and 50 on the red code crosses. Dunlop silk is not good.

The great thing about a stringing machine is that you can experiment with different strings and tensions.

If you go on youtube and search for yulitle stringing you will find a whole series of videos that this guy made about how to string. I taught myself with his videos and another set by a guy named drakulie who is like the Roger Federer of stringing.

I do not regret buying a machine at all.