Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Swivel clamps vs Glide bars (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451470)

hyperion99 01-18-2013 04:16 PM

Swivel clamps vs Glide bars
 
Swivel clamps vs Glide Bars?

If you had to get a new stringer would you choose a swivel clamp or glide bars?
Do both of these stringers have there own pros and cons?

I have an old Eagnas swivel clamp stringer.
But some of my friends say that using a glide bar is much easier in sliding back and forth the racket.

But with the glide bars you need to have a floating clamp for any fan pattern rackets you are stringing.

What are your thoughts?

Lakers4Life 01-18-2013 04:30 PM

You just answered your own questions.

Though it does not make sense to use floating clamps for fan patterns, but I guess the string deflects less with floating clamps than using the glide bars.

Irvin 01-18-2013 04:31 PM

Swivel clamps.

hyperion99 01-18-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7133364)
You just answered your own questions.

Though it does not make sense to use floating clamps for fan patterns, but I guess the string deflects less with floating clamps than using the glide bars.

A friend of mine told me he has to use a floating clamp for fan pattern rackets.
Is that true?

Irvin 01-18-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7133368)
A friend of mine told me he has to use a floating clamp for fan pattern rackets.
Is that true?

Neither are Godd for fan patterns as both are fixed (glide bars are perpendicular and flying flames always clamp with a fixed spread) and the distance between fan strings is not at the same angle or width apart..

hyperion99 01-18-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7133376)
Neither are Godd for fan patterns as both are fixed (glide bars are perpendicular and flying flames always clamp with a fixed spread) and the distance between fan strings is not at the same angle or width apart..

Ok thanks.

I'll stick to the swivel

hyperion99 01-18-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7133376)
Neither are Godd for fan patterns as both are fixed (glide bars are perpendicular and flying flames always clamp with a fixed spread) and the distance between fan strings is not at the same angle or width apart..

Another question what would you recommend for fan pattern rackets?

Lakers4Life 01-18-2013 04:51 PM

It funny that Ektelon which made the glide bar machines standard, is a Racquetball company. Though early racquetball racquets were predominantly perpendicular string patterns. Now it's rare to find a new RB racquet that in not a Fan Pattern. That's probably why they re-branded their machines to Prince NEOS, and they include floating clamps with the NEOS 1000. Why sell a machine that you can't string your own brand of rackets on?

Lakers4Life 01-18-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7133401)
Another question what would you recommend for fan pattern rackets?

Anything but a glide bar machine.

hyperion99 01-18-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7133424)
Anything but a glide bar machine.

My thoughts exactly

Irvin 01-19-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7133401)
Another question what would you recommend for fan pattern rackets?

Haven't had any experience with Alpha, my Prince was a glide bar machine, but I like my Gamma a lot. If I were looking for a new machine I would take a hard look at the Alpha Electronic machines.

hyperion99 01-19-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7135266)
Haven't had any experience with Alpha, my Prince was a glide bar machine, but I like my Gamma a lot. If I were looking for a new machine I would take a hard look at the Alpha Electronic machines.

Irvin another question what stringer would you recommend?

Clintspin 01-19-2013 07:35 AM

You could always have the setup below and have glide bar clamps that also do fan patterns:

https://sites.google.com/site/string...haped-racquets

hyperion99 01-19-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clintspin (Post 7135672)
You could always have the setup below and have glide bar clamps that also do fan patterns:

https://sites.google.com/site/string...haped-racquets

Well know thinking about it fan pattern rackets don't come in that often.
It is relatively an old technology.

hyperion99 01-19-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clintspin (Post 7135672)
You could always have the setup below and have glide bar clamps that also do fan patterns:

https://sites.google.com/site/string...haped-racquets

By the way thanks for link

struggle 01-20-2013 01:19 PM

to be honest, i think fan pattern rackets are few and far between (although I'm sure there are some places....).

as such, i wouldn't buy a machine based on that unless you KNOW you are gonna be stringing them alot.

nonetheless, I'd still get swivel bases. but there is something to be said for glide bar clamps!!!

hyperion99 01-20-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7141416)
to be honest, i think fan pattern rackets are few and far between (although I'm sure there are some places....).

as such, i wouldn't buy a machine based on that unless you KNOW you are gonna be stringing them alot.

nonetheless, I'd still get swivel bases. but there is something to be said for glide bar clamps!!!

My thoughts exactly.

I have always used swivel clamps.
Is there any advantage in using glidebars?
Is it faster to string with?

struggle 01-20-2013 01:33 PM

glide bar clamps lock down with only one lever/switch vs. 2 with a swivel, although i believe some of the super swanky machines have single action swivel clamps also. someone else would have to chime in.

Lakers4Life 01-20-2013 04:11 PM

Dual Action clamps are like the Prince NEO 1000 Clamps. Two actions happening at the same time. Single action is like every other swivle clamp machine, where you need to clamp the string then lock the base.

Brocolt 01-20-2013 04:28 PM

Swivel clamps over glide bar everytime.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse