Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Camp Recommendations for Adult (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451491)

Doc K 01-18-2013 09:10 PM

Camp Recommendations for Adult
 
I'm a 3.0 player who is shaking off 25+ years of rust and getting back into the game. Looking for a camp/resort where I can go for a long weekend/week and drill and play every day and get results. Proximity to a cold beer won't hurt but it isn't a priority. Recommendations? i live in Mississippi, so Gulf Coast area probably is best, but I'll try anything.

hittman10 01-19-2013 02:45 AM

Saddlebrook by far, they'll work your butt off. I was in the same boat as you, 20+ years break and i'm a solid 4.0 now in less than a year. Seek out clinics, and just get in a ton of hitting man, good luck!

sureshs 01-19-2013 01:25 PM

Newks, Saddlebrook, Sanchez Casal, Evert

TenS_Ace 01-19-2013 02:02 PM

Newks for sure:)

gavna 01-20-2013 09:51 AM

Honestly for what you are looking for Newks a best bet......and right now the price is right.

Digs 01-21-2013 08:27 PM

If you're looking for the beer, not sure Newks is the place for you as it's in nowheresville, Texas. The staff are great, and the price is the cheapest, but in the off-season, the ranch is about as exciting as a glass of milk with no chocolate.

gavna 01-22-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digs (Post 7146504)
If you're looking for the beer, not sure Newks is the place for you as it's in nowheresville, Texas. The staff are great, and the price is the cheapest, but in the off-season, the ranch is about as exciting as a glass of milk with no chocolate.

You don't know anything about the region? New Braunfels is a huge tourist destination with plenty of bars and clubs. and only 45min or so from Austin and 20min from San Antonio you can get lost in all the bars and restaurants. .......also towns like Wimberly, San Marcos, Gruene.......etc are major draws..

Lets see what's 30min from Saddlebrook (nothing) or my god IMG (Bradenton is a dump). I was just at Newks 2 weeks ago during offseason and the place was packed with about 50 adults and the bar in the lounge is the hotspot in the evening......fun watching all the Canadians and Aussies in for the week try to out drink each other.

TenS_Ace 01-26-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7149444)
You don't know anything about the region? New Braunfels is a huge tourist destination with plenty of bars and clubs. and only 45min or so from Austin and 20min from San Antonio you can get lost in all the bars and restaurants. .......also towns like Wimberly, San Marcos, Gruene.......etc are major draws..

Lets see what's 30min from Saddlebrook (nothing) or my god IMG (Bradenton is a dump). I was just at Newks 2 weeks ago during offseason and the place was packed with about 50 adults and the bar in the lounge is the hotspot in the evening......fun watching all the Canadans and Aussies in for the week try to out drink each other.

Yuuuuuuup :)

luisdepaula2001 02-18-2013 04:49 PM

I have been to Saddlebrook and it is top notch but not really exciting and nothing around.
San Antonio in the other hand is a great city and really close to Newk.
Next Sept I will try Newk camp.

Costagirl 02-23-2013 02:12 PM

This is the biggest challenge with Tennis Travel. And quite honestly it is limited. You have either Newks, Saddlebrook, Nicky B's and then Hilton Head. Hilton Head at least is a destination but marginal tennis in my opinion. I taught in Hilton Head and I must confess that. The 3 I mentioned & everyone else is mentioning have good programs and nothing to do off court. Kind of frustrating.

Costagirl 02-23-2013 04:04 PM

Please don't think this is crazy but Tennis camps in Barcelona are exceptional. It's no secret they're producing great tennis & you'll really learn. And there is so much to do when tennis is over for the day. It's an amazing vacation with purpose so to speak!

TenS_Ace 02-24-2013 03:19 PM

amelia island in FLA is supposed to be good, haven't been there yet:) One of NEWKS longtime favourite pro's is there now and it looks pretty good..shoot them an email they do respond with a brochure :)

Rjtennis 02-24-2013 07:35 PM

What about Sanchez Cassal in Naples?

Costagirl 02-26-2013 12:14 PM

or if you're staying stateside you could always do the Hilton Head thing. There are plenty of adult clinics there for 3.0 - 4.0 levels.

Costagirl 02-26-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittman10 (Post 7135094)
Saddlebrook by far, they'll work your butt off. I was in the same boat as you, 20+ years break and i'm a solid 4.0 now in less than a year. Seek out clinics, and just get in a ton of hitting man, good luck!

You're totally right with the clinic aspect to work out but getting back into the game after sooo long you need a couple tune-up privates. You go out cold after 20 yrs and your bound to need some refining.

hittman10 02-26-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Costagirl (Post 7237993)
You're totally right with the clinic aspect to work out but getting back into the game after sooo long you need a couple tune-up privates. You go out cold after 20 yrs and your bound to need some refining.

you're right on the money. unfortunately, for me, my present location restricts the private option. went to saddlebrook while on leave from tAfghanistan. not a whole lot of hitting time there, lol

Costagirl 03-01-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 7234684)
What about Sanchez Cassal in Naples?

Oh ya RJ...anybody visited this program in Naples? For some reason I thought it launched...got pulled out then heard Sanchez-Casal was back in Naples?
Interesting to see how they will do down in Florida across from NB's:confused:


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse