Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Would Working out make a difference? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451505)

MarinaHighTennis 01-19-2013 12:07 AM

Would Working out make a difference?

Hey Guys,

I'm a pretty skinny guy who can hit a solid ball and is very fast. However, I feel that I only win matches because I'm fast. I'm not a pusher as you guys have seen my videos but do noticeably have a lack of power/significant pace in my shots. If I did isometric band workouts, would it benefit me and allow me to hit heavy balls in order to dictate rallies?

dominikk1985 01-19-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7134307)
Hey Guys,

I'm a pretty skinny guy who can hit a solid ball and is very fast. However, I feel that I only win matches because I'm fast. I'm not a pusher as you guys have seen my videos but do noticeably have a lack of power/significant pace in my shots. If I did isometric band workouts, would it benefit me and allow me to hit heavy balls in order to dictate rallies?

depends on your Level. I would say till 4.0 there is so much room for technique improvement that a couple of pushups in the morning is all strength Training you Need.

later you can still gain a lot by improving technique but you start to get into the range where you are technically good enough to use your strength.

However the Girls will like it so start hitting the gym:). but for your Tennis learning to rotate the lower Body ahead of the arm will do more for you.

raging 01-19-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

absolutely, you answered your own question.
Any isometric work is great for tennis & will increase strength, muscular endurance & speed/weight of shot.

LeeD 01-20-2013 11:53 AM

Looking at pros, there are very few guys as small as a Kohlshreiber/Hewitt/Nishokori. Most are much heavier build, even if they're as short as Ferrer.
And the taller guys all weigh in over 165lbs.

boramiNYC 01-20-2013 01:09 PM

yes definitely will make a difference but not always in a good way. The best workout for rec would be a thorough and regular stretches of the whole body, esp regions that are not as flexible as other parts.

slowfox 01-20-2013 03:00 PM

In my experience, working out (i.e. weight training) helps my overall coordination. For real...

boramiNYC 01-20-2013 03:35 PM

striving for perfect form while working out will improve coordination. unless they are really into weight training and pushing the limits, regular people rarely are focused about the perfect form so there's the danger. and bulky muscles can reduce overall coordination. That's why I have to be very careful about suboptimal weight training for developing juniors.

Fuji 01-20-2013 03:41 PM

I dunno man! Be careful! I'm almost 20lbs overweight and it's killing my on court performance... (that being said its not because I hit the gym...) :lol:

-Fuji

TheCheese 01-20-2013 09:10 PM

If anything, work out to correct muscle imbalances and prevent injury.

MarinaHighTennis 01-21-2013 12:13 AM

thanks guys for the responses. I don't think I have to worry about overweight haha I'm a real skinny guy. Anyways, the past 3 days i've been working on isometric bands for core and arms.

NLBwell 01-21-2013 04:19 AM

You want flexibility for power on your strokes. You want speed to cover the court (speed takes strong legs and core). The more you work out with these in mind, the better.
The pros have learned that the most strength with least body weight is best - a tough balance.

gmatheis 01-21-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7143396)
You want flexibility for power on your strokes. You want speed to cover the court (speed takes strong legs and core). The more you work out with these in mind, the better.
The pros have learned that the most strength with least body weight is best - a tough balance.

Yeah , Look at Djokovic when he tears off his shirt after a match. The guy looks almost emaciated but the muscles he has are seriously ripped.

Like you said ... the most strength with the least body weight is the winning combination.

luvforty 01-21-2013 08:16 AM

from OP's vids - yes, working out will help... stronger legs and core... also stronger arm for volleys.

nyc 01-21-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

have a lack of power/significant pace in my shots. If I did isometric band workouts, would it benefit me and allow me to hit heavy balls in order to dictate rallies?

Bulk will come with time, but what I saw from your videos is that you're not using your current mass properly to generate pace - and it's all footwork.

You're fast, but you're not stepping INTO the shot - that change alone will increase weight of your shots. I'd focus on that to begin with.

As far as working out, focus on explosiveness, flexibility, legs and core. ladder work, jump rope, squats, planks, jumping jacks, burpees. stay away from heavy weights.

Good luck!

Nellie 01-21-2013 12:47 PM

Working out can seriously improve your game, especially if you are smart in what you are doing. Chances are, your arms are not getting tired in matches. In fact, if you are swinging right, you are not really using your arms that much. Instead, you likely get tired in your legs (especially your calves and hamstrings) and your core. You can tell when you are getting tired in the legs because you start taking big steps around the court and mis-positioning yourself. You can tell you get tire in the core because you start leaning over to hit to reach balls and arming shots.

Mick3391 01-21-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Hey Guys,

Depends on what your goals are. If they are to improve, you can't get better unless you are in great shape, mentally and physically you can't be breathing hard and expect great shots and mental formulations.

I recommend generally to be able to jog 5 miles with no problem, this gives good overall cardiovascular stamina. Then of course wind sprints.

Strength doesn't always equal power, leverage does, technique, but it's good to do everything. Only use weights if you are weak, oversize muscles need more oxygen and get tired fast.

Some of the best training is simply practicing catching tennis balls with your hand, teaches you to always watch the ball, anyways.

LeeD 01-21-2013 03:13 PM

If you even think working out can add power to your game, then it will, for sure.
Doubt is huge in your mental physchy. It's easy to just work out a bit every day for 2 months, then see how you play.

TheCheese 01-21-2013 03:29 PM

I think the best exercises for generating more racket speed might be drop hitting balls or just practicing swinging as fast as possible.

MarinaHighTennis 01-21-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7145020)
Depends on what your goals are. If they are to improve, you can't get better unless you are in great shape, mentally and physically you can't be breathing hard and expect great shots and mental formulations.

I recommend generally to be able to jog 5 miles with no problem, this gives good overall cardiovascular stamina. Then of course wind sprints.

Strength doesn't always equal power, leverage does, technique, but it's good to do everything. Only use weights if you are weak, oversize muscles need more oxygen and get tired fast.

Some of the best training is simply practicing catching tennis balls with your hand, teaches you to always watch the ball, anyways.

I can run 5 miles no problem haha but im a 4.5-5.0 player who wants to move to the next level. When i play 5.5 i basicaly try to run down every ball bc ppl hit super hard

NLBwell 01-21-2013 05:35 PM

What might be best is to play more 5.5 guys so it doesn't seem like the ball is hit super hard.
Get used to the speed.