Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Finally we have found a successor to Federer's throne (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451511)

DragonBlaze 01-19-2013 02:55 AM

Finally we have found a successor to Federer's throne

Bernard Tomic is the new king.....

Of horrendous use of the challenge system that is :twisted::D

Prisoner of Birth 01-19-2013 02:58 AM

Okay, you had me :)

Colin 01-19-2013 03:00 AM

And the best part was Fed kept winning his challenges for a change. I think he was genuinely surprised. He still thinks Hawkeye is screwing him. :)

ledwix 01-19-2013 03:03 AM

I remember that one where Federer hit a risky mid-air forehand just inside the line for a winner, and then Tomic challenged. I think you should lose two challenges if it is not even on the line. I mean that one was obviously a waste of time. Not that they were wasting much time in general out there though. Very entertaining stuff.

sepidoel 01-19-2013 03:03 AM

I don't know if Federer is famous of abusing the challenge. Is he?

Performance wise, I see Tomic has the talent but he isn't a very flexible player physically. In the match with Federer I saw him didn't bend his ankle much. Without that it's doubtful he can be a top player when the big guys are still around. IMO.

Jeffrey573639 01-19-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepidoel (Post 7134996)

Performance wise, I see Tomic has the talent but he isn't a very flexible player physically. In the match with Federer I saw him didn't bend his ankle much. Without that it's doubtful he can be a top player when the big guys are still around. IMO.

Big guys as in Isner and Karlovic or big guys as in the Big Four? I don't really know what ya mean by bending his ankle (never seen any commentator or pro talking bout bending ankles) but I agree that he definitely needs to work on his movement (not that Raonic, Dimitrov have any better)

nadal_GOAT_king 01-19-2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

He is known for being wrong more often than not lol

sepidoel 01-19-2013 03:11 AM

The big four. He needs to lower his body, it seemed that he relied too much on his hand. With his grip he'll have trouble hitting low ball (semi-western or western, definitely not eastern).

nadal_GOAT_king 01-19-2013 03:13 AM

Baghdatis had like 3/18 for the whole tournament if I'm not mistaken.

Steve0904 01-19-2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

He's not famous of abusing the system (that would be Murray) because he doesn't like it, but he is rather famous for losing most of the calls he challenges (like say more than most players).

Jeffrey573639 01-19-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sepidoel (Post 7135014)
The big four. He needs to lower his body, it seemed that he relied too much on his hand. With his grip he'll have trouble hitting low ball (semi-western or western, definitely not eastern).

I do agree but I think we have to keep in mind he's quite tall- not an Isner but quite tall nonetheless. I think his movement is a bit suspect in general. Whilst Fed likes the wide serve, he was absolutely piling them on tonight trying to force Tomic out of position and it definitely worked. But as for the point about low balls, I don't think that's too much of a hinderance. Fed's has basically the only good slice in the top god knows how many Tomic aside.

sepidoel 01-19-2013 03:29 AM

In this era of spin he can shine but I'm afraid in time he'll lose to some players with a very incompatible style too him. It's hard to be a top player with this kind of weakness. I don't know if tall players always have trouble training flexibility, but since he's still very young it won't hurt much to start doing that.

Anyway, I do hope his talent doesn't go to waste just because of small glitch along with better judgment for challenge and less cockiness. :)

RF-17-GOAT 01-19-2013 03:42 AM

Lmaooooooooo

Federer20042006 01-19-2013 03:45 AM

He played a damn good second set. He's not all the way there physically, but he's got time. It's going to come down to his dedication. I'm not sure if he has it.

jokinla 01-19-2013 08:19 AM

Didn't you mean queen.

West Coast Ace 01-19-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonBlaze (Post 7134965)
Bernard Tomic is the new king.....

Well played. I think he may have surpassed our king. I think 1 ball last night was at least the width of the ball out. Almost woke my neighbors laughing...

Fed actually had a good night. Got a few 'home town calls' overruled.

Tropikal_Knights 01-19-2013 10:59 AM

tommy hits too flat ......I mean granted generates some good power with those flat hits but still needs to incorporate some topspin...

I guess Fed made it to the third round Tommy and now the fourth

ruerooo 01-19-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

He's famous for getting his challenges wrong. Do a search on YouTube; you will see some funny ones.

Quote:

He should do Pilates for this. Certainly helped me. Roger takes Pilates.

volleyandfun 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadal_GOAT_king (Post 7135012)
He is known for being wrong more often than not lol

actually he is not, at AO he is 3/5, 60%

volleyandfun 01-19-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 7136005)
He's famous for getting his challenges wrong. Do a search on YouTube; you will see some funny ones.

Not here at AO, he is 3/5, check AO website