Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sharapova plays lefty (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451523)

watungga 01-19-2013 06:01 AM

Sharapova plays lefty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vIZ0w_fGF8

No wonder her backhand is lethal. It has the perfect timing in it.

TCF 01-19-2013 06:55 AM

==========================

dlesser13 01-19-2013 09:29 AM

Anyone with a solid two hander on the pro tour should be able to comfortably hit a lefty forehand. And they are naturally hitting right handed forehands, which is essentially a lefty backhand.

rkelley 01-19-2013 09:37 AM

OK, color me impressed. She was taking short balls at her feet off her lefty fh. The form is good too.

I hurt my right wrist a few years ago and goofed around hitting lefty, including a 1hbh. It was just with foam balls against a wall, but I was really surprised at how quickly it started to feel natural. The one thing I could NOT do was serve.

So if you're naturally lefty why do you play right handed? She obviously felt it worked better for her and she played at a high level both ways. But a lefty always has an advantage in that they're a lot less common, plus it seems like the serve is always going to be better from the side you feel most comfortable throwing with.

v-verb 01-19-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 7135946)
OK, color me impressed. She was taking short balls at her feet off her lefty fh. The form is good too.

I hurt my right wrist a few years ago and goofed around hitting lefty, including a 1hbh. It was just with foam balls against a wall, but I was really surprised at how quickly it started to feel natural. The one thing I could do was serve.

So if you're naturally lefty why do you play right handed? She obviously felt it worked better for her and she played at a high level both ways. But a lefty always has an advantage in that they're a lot less common, plus it seems like the serve is always going to be better from the side you feel most comfortable throwing with.

I'm impressed also. I would think she would be even more dominant playing her natural side.

Boggles the mind how good she is playing righty actually

LeeD 01-20-2013 10:57 AM

I know lots of 4.0 level players who hit almost as good forehands on either side. That's why they're 4.0, they practice both and neither enough.
I hit a better rightie forehand than lefty forehand. I'm 4.0.
I know a 5.0 winner of the local tourney who hits harder forehand lefty than rightie, and he's right handed.
Ambi doesn't mean much, just practice possibly better served using your normal side.

Ico 01-20-2013 10:59 AM

This is how she will finally beat Serena again.

millicurie999 01-20-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ico (Post 7140985)
This is how she will finally beat Serena again.

Like karate kid movie...injured her right arm and then served lefty on MP? :)

Frank Silbermann 01-20-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7140975)
I know lots of 4.0 level players who hit almost as good forehands on either side. That's why they're 4.0, they practice both and neither enough.

You don't think the fact that they're only 4.0 might have something to do with the fact that the vast majority of tennis players never go above 3.5?

Timbo's hopeless slice 01-20-2013 02:03 PM

I play with a 5.0 guy who just switches hand, no BH..

he was a world ranked Squash player when he was young, though, probably has above average hand-eye!

ramos77 01-21-2013 02:01 AM

if you are are natural lefty, why would play right handed?

I guess it's worked for her though..

I wonder which hand she chokes a chicken with?

Timbo's hopeless slice 01-21-2013 02:19 AM

did you know Rafa is actually naturally right handed?

Relinquis 01-21-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7141554)
I play with a 5.0 guy who just switches hand, no BH..

he was a world ranked Squash player when he was young, though, probably has above average hand-eye!

what was his squash backhand like?!