Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tomic admits unnerved by Federer records (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451525)

Jackuar 01-19-2013 06:06 AM

Tomic admits unnerved by Federer records

Tomic in his post match interview:

A lot of players, when you play these sorts of players like Roger or Novak (Djokovic), you lose belief before you get into the match," Tomic said.

"Eighty or ninety per cent of players that play the top guys, like with Roger, you lose your belief.

"I got in there... they mentioned all these Grand Slams... Wimbledon champion seven times, five times US Open champion. Then I was, 'Oh, crap, it's Roger'.

"I try to block out who's on the other side of the net but I couldn't quite do it after that announcement. Then that first service game was important. I lost it and then I was like, 'Oh no.
-------------

How true is that, isn't it? Even though its top 4 who seem to have a big halo around their heads, that really scares s**t out of others just when seeing them on the other side of the net, its even more prominent with Nadal and Federer.

Btw, do you think Tomic will break that mental barrier and make it through?
And another btw, Fed will not win this AO. Its so bad seeing him hit his forehands that are already dead and just sent across... He ain't getting nowhere beyond semis.

Clarky21 01-19-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackuar (Post 7135511)

A lot of players, when you play these sorts of players like Roger or Novak (Djokovic), you lose belief before you get into the match," Tomic said.

"Eighty or ninety per cent of players that play the top guys, like with Roger, you lose your belief.

"I got in there... they mentioned all these Grand Slams... Wimbledon champion seven times, five times US Open champion. Then I was, 'Oh, crap, it's Roger'.

"I try to block out who's on the other side of the net but I couldn't quite do it after that announcement. Then that first service game was important. I lost it and then I was like, 'Oh no.
-------------

How true is that, isn't it? Even though its top 4 who seem to have a big halo around their heads, that really scares s**t out of others just when seeing them on the other side of the net, its even more prominent with Nadal and Federer.

And another btw, Fed will not win this AO. Its so bad seeing him hit his forehands that are already dead and just sent across... He ain't getting nowhere beyond semis.

Ferrer is a slam champion?

luvforty 01-19-2013 06:24 AM

that's pretty lame.... losing aint got much to do with that... the top guys are just better players.

pvaudio 01-19-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

-------------

I wish I could be elated that Federer smacked some sense into the kid, but it has been a foregone conclusion that I don't care about. When you don't show respect towards someone who has rewritten your sport and talk about how you know how to beat them, it's pretty obvious you're clueless. There was no way he wouldn't get mentally bogged down in the fact that a. he'd been running his mouth b. it IS a lot different playing in a GS than in an exho.

Gonzalito17 01-19-2013 06:25 AM

Tomic is still young, he's human. He has to get a little meaner and a little scrappier. Plays tennis like he doens't want to get dirty.

dominikk1985 01-19-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7135532)
Ferrer is a slam champion?

ferrer is not in the top4 yet and even if he makes it nobody will consider him a true top4 guy since he is only there because nadal is away.

RAFA2005RG 01-19-2013 06:34 AM

Let's see if Raonic has the same problem. This is a great comparison between the 2 young guns.

pvaudio 01-19-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7135554)
Let's see if Raonic has the same problem. This is a great comparison between the 2 young guns.

Reality that Tomic isn't anything special yet finally hit you?

Cesc Fabregas 01-19-2013 06:42 AM

Tomic is better than Raonic.

Onehandedbackhand 01-19-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7135546)
ferrer is not in the top4 yet and even if he makes it nobody will consider him a true top4 guy since he is only there because nadal is away.

I believe he's a top 4 because he's playing like one, regardless how he got there.

He sure as hell didn't back his way in.

That said, he'd need a slam to become in that line of truly dangerous.

RAFA2005RG 01-19-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7135566)
Reality that Tomic isn't anything special yet finally hit you?

My prediction is the same now as it always has been - Nadal, Murray and Tomic are the only slam-winners from 2013-2015. I never said Tomic would win a slam in 2013 :lol:

And I certainly never said Tomic would beat Federer!

joeri888 01-19-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7135575)
My prediction is the same now as it always has been - Nadal, Murray and Tomic are the only slam-winners from 2013-2015. I never said Tomic would win a slam in 2013 :lol:

And I certainly never said Tomic would beat Federer!

You gonna stop predicting if Murray doesnt win AO?

TMF 01-19-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

-------------

Even if that was true, it doesn't mean all players are the same. Soderling wasn't unnerved against Nasdal in 2009 FO, and Fed wasn't either against Sampras in 2001 Wimbledon. Maybe it was an excuse from Tomic to explain why he lost, rather than just say Roger is a lot better than him.

Phoenix1983 01-19-2013 08:55 AM

I'm glad that Fed put Tomug firmly in his place.

Steve0904 01-19-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesc Fabregas (Post 7135571)

I agree, but I think Raonic has a better chance against Fed if only for the serve.

nethawkwenatchee 01-19-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7135554)

You bring up a good point. It makes me think about Raonic matched up with Murray at the US Open last year. The Slams are a tough place to break through against the best players.

NadalAgassi 01-19-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

at what. Poker or checkers or loudmouthing. Since he sure isnt better at tennis.

Steve0904 01-19-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7135872)
at what. Poker or checkers or loudmouthing. Since he sure isnt better at tennis.

Tomic has a better all around game than Milos, but Milos has the serve which makes up for everything. Overall I think Tomic is better now if we look at it from the all around game perspective, and I think Tomic will eventually be better than Milos regardless of the differences in serve.

single_handed_champion 01-19-2013 09:26 AM

Good lesson for Tomic. He has learnt what it takes to beat players a level or two below the best, but he needs o finetune everything to beat the very best on the big stages. I think he is a better player this year and could have won 1 set in this match. It is a pleasant surprise to see he is capable of playing from far behind the baseline (while still stepping in occasionally) like against Brands and also consistently closer to it like in this match, which was his only chance anyway. Maybe he needs to work on a single strategy because switching between them too much will result n key errors in matches.

I thought Roger did what was necessary. Very few errors, considering how Tomic kept hitting wide to his forehand, and excellent serving. Also some sick defense.

Day Tripper 01-19-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

After last night's match I agree. Tomic could develop into a very good player. I haven't seen anything from Raonic except a great serve. Can't see how he will break Roger's serve.