Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nice video of a powerful serve (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451540)

rufus_smith 01-19-2013 10:31 AM

Nice video of a powerful serve
 
Sorry if this has been shown before. I was browsing around youtube and found this video of a recreational player hitting just one great serve. It must be over 120 mph, it hits well inside the serve box, and still bounces so much it seems to be still rising when it hits the back fence. He labels it a kick serve but it seems to be more of a flat serve delivery. Maybe I'm overrating it. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3amNpnkTm2c

v-verb 01-19-2013 11:25 AM

Nope not overrating, great serve. Wish I could do that consistently!

TomT 01-19-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus_smith (Post 7135934)
Sorry if this has been shown before. I was browsing around youtube and found this video of a recreational player hitting just one great serve. It must be over 120 mph, it hits well inside the serve box, and still bounces so much it seems to be still rising when it hits the back fence. He labels it a kick serve but it seems to be more of a flat serve delivery. Maybe I'm overrating it. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3amNpnkTm2c

Thanks for the vid rufus. I don't think you're overrating it. That's a REALLY good serve. Nice, uncomplicated motion with great racquet head acceleration during the milliseconds before and up to contact.

J011yroger 01-19-2013 11:35 AM

https://vimeo.com/3317115

Do I win?

J

Bergboy123 01-19-2013 11:41 AM

Geez.. me likey

TomT 01-19-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7136062)

Wow, another super nice serve. I don't know if you win or not, but I wouldn't want to have face either of your serves.

TRVX1912 01-19-2013 10:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1P2ej4YtY

I think Federer Wins :D

TheCheese 01-19-2013 11:07 PM

I think Raonic wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...j8S7OvI#t=317s

TRVX1912 01-19-2013 11:20 PM

Hmm Great placement but federer aced the guy with just nasty spin!

LeeD 01-20-2013 11:38 AM

Clean motion.
Wonder what court temps were, what ball temps, what kind of balls, what's the court altitude, what the humidity was, and how high DID that serve really bounce, since the screening is lower where the ball landed.

asusundevils1971 01-20-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7136062)

In that video you can see clearly the clay courts have just been maintained. The lines have been pulled and the surface turned and rolled to make it level again. Usually the first two weeks the hard-tru will be soft, this is why you will get balls bouncing really high on flat serves. You will also get slice groundstrokes that bite into the hard-tru like a SW from 100 yards biting a soft green in golf. It is fun when you are not on the receiving end of the flat serve. Looking at your opponent trying too hit an overhead on your flat serve lol...

Rogael Naderer 01-21-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7140906)
Clean motion.
Wonder what court temps were, what ball temps, what kind of balls, what's the court altitude, what the humidity was, and how high DID that serve really bounce, since the screening is lower where the ball landed.

Yes, THAT would be very interesting wouldn't it?

It's a nice serve, hit once, that is all.

rufus_smith 01-21-2013 08:30 AM

I've looked at the video in slow motion to see if there was anything special happening but found nothing. Maybe the explanation of the high bounce is that the ball entered the serve box at a sharper angle than most other flat serves and so bounced up at a higher angle.
Btw there another video of him hitting stong serves and he says he was a college player so I don't think this was a total fluke.

luvforty 01-21-2013 08:37 AM

sounds like sour grapes going on here lol.

some people are just gifted to do stuff like that, most are not.... no matter how much practice is put in.

LeeD 01-21-2013 10:01 AM

As said, nice serve.
I wonder if he's Janovich height, which would account for the seemingly high bounce at the backboard.
If he's Rochus height, he would have a superlative serve.
The rest of the conditions count too.

goober 01-24-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7144164)
As said, nice serve.
I wonder if he's Janovich height, which would account for the seemingly high bounce at the backboard.
If he's Rochus height, he would have a superlative serve.
The rest of the conditions count too.

He is a tall guy. Look at some of his other videos where he is dunking a basketball. He can elevate straight up and dunk from a standing position.

Dimcorner 01-24-2013 07:45 AM

I have hit some of those nails that they use to put the line down and the ball does take a wicked bounce. Maybe his height + spin + nail = crazy bounce?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse