Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why Black Out a Racquet? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451548)

UltimateBombero 01-19-2013 10:21 AM

Why Black Out a Racquet?

Are pro players required to black one out of they don't have a sponsor?

raging 01-19-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateBombero (Post 7136028)
Are pro players required to black one out of they don't have a sponsor?

They black out racquets if they have one sponsor but choose to play with another company's racquet. Sometimes with or without agreement from both companies. It happens a lot at the Oz Open because some players have not re-signed for the new year & may be holding out for more money or wanting to switch racquet companies.
January is a nervous, busy month for most racquet companies...

TennisCJC 01-19-2013 12:13 PM

They also will black out if they don't have a sponsor. Why give away free advertising?

UltimateBombero 01-19-2013 06:07 PM

I guess I would think that the superstitious nature of tennis players wouldn't lend itself to changing the color of a racquet they've always used.

novak.20v 01-19-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateBombero (Post 7136933)
I guess I would think that the superstitious nature of tennis players wouldn't lend itself to changing the color of a racquet they've always used.

I dont think they care much about what their racquets look like,

augustobt 01-19-2013 07:17 PM

They do it to don't sponsor anyone freely.

vandre 01-19-2013 08:06 PM

i don't know if there's anything that "requires" them to do it per se. i suspect that most of the players themselves choose to do it for their own reasons, be it contractual (i.e. they don't have a contract at all with a company or they are currently working towards one but the terms aren't settled) or they aren't 100% happy with the gear they under contract to endorse.

i tend to think of it as something that a player may use for leverage in negotiating (why should they get paid if the company gets the publicity for free?). i do think it may be possible that the company might also be trying to decide which product to market with which player.

InspectorRacquet 01-19-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novak.20v (Post 7136980)
I dont think they care much about what their racquets look like,

There was a lot of speculation as to whether Berdych was superstitious, since he continued using his old orange PJ months after he and Sharapova were supposed to promote the Instinct PJ. Berdych uses that PJ now, but at first everyone thought he was just too superstitious because he was doing well with the old PJ.

dr325i 01-19-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspectorRacquet (Post 7137271)
There was a lot of speculation as to whether Berdych was superstitious, since he continued using his old orange PJ months after he and Sharapova were supposed to promote the Instinct PJ. Berdych uses that PJ now, but at first everyone thought he was just too superstitious because he was doing well with the old PJ.

Just a speculation from kids on this board....just like many other times.
Pretty much means nothing...

tennytive 01-20-2013 06:50 AM

I wonder who does the blacking out and how? Do they just take a can and spray it or is it more of a customized carefully done process paying attention to swing weight, balance, etc.?

I blacked out an old POG 90 that was pretty beat up cosmetically and like it better than the four green stripes on my other one in almost mint condition. Plus you can play without worrying about another nick here or there since you can always give it another coat when needed.

dominikk1985 01-20-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7136213)
They also will black out if they don't have a sponsor. Why give away free advertising?

this is the reason. when the racket Company is too tight to give you a sponsorship and you probably even have to pay for those Rackets I would not bother to advertise for them. they are probably ****ed anyway that nobody gave them an adequate Sponsor deal.

DownTheLineWith90 01-20-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7140026)
this is the reason. when the racket Company is too tight to give you a sponsorship and you probably even have to pay for those Rackets I would not bother to advertise for them. they are probably ****ed anyway that nobody gave them an adequate Sponsor deal.

Never thought of it that way, but seems to make sense.
Where do they black their rackets out?
I wonder if they can white them out as well..

dominikk1985 01-20-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTheLineWith90 (Post 7140103)
Never thought of it that way, but seems to make sense.
Where do they black their rackets out?
I wonder if they can white them out as well..

White doesn't cover as well as black. the racket is already very coloured below that and since they are usually not using a very sophisticated painting method (i.e. probably spraying) black gives you the best result quite easily.

to get another colour to cover you Need more sophisticated methods with using a priming and a good varnish.

SwankPeRFection 01-20-2013 08:26 AM

It's also cheaper to not paint a racquet you make for someone rather than paint it. Think about that. But I think in today's tennis, racquet are pretty much like cars are in NASCAR. lol It's only painted up with all the pretty colors when it's time to race and once you've got the right sponsors.

Relinquis 01-20-2013 09:48 AM

I'm considering blacking out my Steam 100. such an ugly paint job, but not a bad stick actually.