Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   comparing the strokes of 3 '70's s/v women (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451552)

BTURNER 01-19-2013 10:46 AM

comparing the strokes of 3 '70's s/v women

This is a 75-76 combination clip (Wade, Court, Goolagong) from chrisevertdotnet so of course it highlights points won by Evert for the most part. I am more interested in the comparative technical form of these serves, volleys and strokes. Those of you more qualified than I, (everyone posting) care to look at these three and tell me what you see distinguishing their serves etc. Keep in mind that this is the very end of Court's career so she appears slower and less potent than she would have a few years before. Too bad King wasn't included.

Wade's serve/ forehand appears to be the hardest hit. Evonne's groundstrokes seem to have the most spin and she moves better.

kiki 01-21-2013 01:08 PM

From a mere technical standpoint, I donīt think there has ever been somebody better than Hana Mandlikova.

She also had power and extremely good ( although erratic sometimes) footwork.if she was just around 50% of her capability, she was very nice watchin...75% it was a blow off...90%, it would have been just orgasmatic, only that I donīt think she ever reached that 90%

BTURNER 01-21-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki (Post 7145027)
From a mere technical standpoint, I donīt think there has ever been somebody better than Hana Mandlikova.

She also had power and extremely good ( although erratic sometimes) footwork.if she was just around 50% of her capability, she was very nice watchin...75% it was a blow off...90%, it would have been just orgasmatic, only that I donīt think she ever reached that 90%

Non responsive to my question, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Considering this Mandlikova reply to my question about Court, Wade and Goolagong, is the only one I am likely to get, I bow in gratitude.

It is amazing how smooth Wade's serve motion was, when nothing else about her game seemed so. Evonne made everything look technically silky and relaxed. Wade made it everything seem laborious and stilted. That is a great looking serve though.

kiki 01-24-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTURNER (Post 7146260)
Non responsive to my question, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Considering this Mandlikova reply to my question about Court, Wade and Goolagong, is the only one I am likely to get, I bow in gratitude.

It is amazing how smooth Wade's serve motion was, when nothing else about her game seemed so. Evonne made everything look technically silky and relaxed. Wade made it everything seem laborious and stilted. That is a great looking serve though.

OhĄĄ Yeah, Ginny had a textbook first serve, to me the nicest to watch in the womenīs ranks during the 70īs.
Evonne was so effortless, she seemed to make no effort and yet, her first ball was deep and angled enough.

Another good server I recall was Virginia Ruzici, the romanian tennis star.Her forehand was almost as good as Barkerīs, but not so solid as that of Court or Evert.
Sorry for my outburst on Mandlikova.There are few chances to talk about her over thsoe boards.

CEvertFan 01-24-2013 09:00 PM

Link the clip and you just might get more feedback. :)

BTURNER 01-24-2013 09:48 PM

Wow I swear I put the link in the OP. No wonder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGt1UqWgxxc

suwanee4712 01-25-2013 02:54 PM

I love Virginia and Evonne! Virginia had a great serve and a tricky forehand. The fh had a little hitch in it which caused some problems, but still a good weapon.

Evonne was poetry in motion. No one was more smooth than she was. Her serve was tricky, hard to read off her racquet. Her forehand was a bit of a slap shot and could run either hot or cold. The backhand was lovely. Few could keep the racquet on that shot longer than she could. Carressed, massaged, or rolled - one of the best strokes to watch ever.

But I would give the nod on serve, strokes, and volleys to Marge. Her fh drive was driven so hard and flat and close to the lines leaving the women little time or chance to respond. Her volleys were textbook and came down at you. And Martina always said Court's serve was the best she ever faced. To be exact she said it came at you so hard its like she served it from a tree.

BTURNER 01-25-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suwanee4712 (Post 7165080)
I love Virginia and Evonne! Virginia had a great serve and a tricky forehand. The fh had a little hitch in it which caused some problems, but still a good weapon.

Evonne was poetry in motion. No one was more smooth than she was. Her serve was tricky, hard to read off her racquet. Her forehand was a bit of a slap shot and could run either hot or cold. The backhand was lovely. Few could keep the racquet on that shot longer than she could. Carressed, massaged, or rolled - one of the best strokes to watch ever.

But I would give the nod on serve, strokes, and volleys to Marge. Her fh drive was driven so hard and flat and close to the lines leaving the women little time or chance to respond. Her volleys were textbook and came down at you. And Martina always said Court's serve was the best she ever faced. To be exact she said it came at you so hard its like she served it from a tree.

Margaret's strokes off both wings must have been among the most steady of her generation. The rest of the s/ver's in her era felt glad to win one RG title! Someone needs to post more Court playing on clay on youtube. Most players like Court that depend a lot on their serve to win points or set them up, don't handle clay well. I'd like to see how she constructed points on the dirt, how often she came in, what spins etc. I don't have a feel for her tactical mind.

kiki 02-02-2013 10:09 AM

But if Bueno could have keep it up with no injuries that hampened her so deeply, her rivalry with Court would be talked even today.

CEvertFan 02-02-2013 03:21 PM

I'd like to see the '73 French Open final between Court and Evert as I've only read about it but from what I've read Court was able to more than hold her own from the baseline, which is one of the reasons why she was able to beat Evert that year.

BTURNER 02-02-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEvertFan (Post 7187362)
I'd like to see the '73 French Open final between Court and Evert as I've only read about it but from what I've read Court was able to more than hold her own from the baseline, which is one of the reasons why she was able to beat Evert that year.

In retrospect, it must go down as one of Court's better matches. In '73, a lot of folks outside of the states, must have wondered why Margaret had so much trouble with this schoolgirl from Florida. Europe had seen very little of Evert.

PDJ 02-03-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTURNER (Post 7187854)
In retrospect, it must go down as one of Court's better matches. In '73, a lot of folks outside of the states, must have wondered why Margaret had so much trouble with this schoolgirl from Florida. Europe had seen very little of Evert.

Sorry i can't post the link but on ina.fr there is a video of the tiebreak Evert won against Court during the 73 French.
Re the OP i would say goolagong is by far the most fluent. That said, i love how surly wade looks, but she remains a national treasure! That's enough for me:-)

BTURNER 02-03-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDJ (Post 7189269)
Sorry i can't post the link but on ina.fr there is a video of the tiebreak Evert won against Court during the 73 French.
Re the OP i would say goolagong is by far the most fluent. That said, i love how surly wade looks, but she remains a national treasure! That's enough for me:-)

Wade is a tennis treasure, as much for her commentary, as her racket work.

one of my favorite quotes: Evert plays tennis as though it is a classical composition. Goologong plays tennis as though it is improvisational jazz.

suwanee4712 02-04-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTURNER (Post 7165166)
Margaret's strokes off both wings must have been among the most steady of her generation. The rest of the s/ver's in her era felt glad to win one RG title! Someone needs to post more Court playing on clay on youtube. Most players like Court that depend a lot on their serve to win points or set them up, don't handle clay well. I'd like to see how she constructed points on the dirt, how often she came in, what spins etc. I don't have a feel for her tactical mind.

They were both steady and heavy. Even on her slice backhand she drove through it low and with pace. I really don't remember seeing her play on clay. I would be curious if she used a little more topspin in deference to the clay. I bet on a dry, fast clay court she played close to her normal game.

kiki 02-04-2013 10:25 PM

Court was a precessor of heavy metal

NLBwell 02-06-2013 12:20 PM

Torbin Ulrich was a precessor of heavy metal.

(precessor?)

I talked to Virginia Wade for a moment at a tournament in Houston. Seemed like a really nice person.