Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Can't wait to turn up at NYSC with this baby! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451560)

J011yroger 01-19-2013 12:45 PM

Can't wait to turn up at NYSC with this baby!

J

treblings 01-19-2013 12:47 PM

nice squash racquet you got there:)

J011yroger 01-19-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treblings (Post 7136276)
nice squash racquet you got there:)

Do you think they would laugh me off the courts? Maybe I should try Columbia instead lol.

J

gavna 01-20-2013 09:44 AM

It's a squash stick....FYI Stu Goldstein was a top USA squash player from NY - played at Stony Brook U and was a pro in the late 70s.

Have you ever tried hitting a tennis ball with a squash stick! Doesn't work

joe sch 01-20-2013 10:18 AM

If your going to hit that nice bancroft wood squash racket with a tennis ball, then you better bring some epoxy :)
I have a graphite dunlop max 200g squash racket that would probably last a few more hits for tennis

coachrick 01-20-2013 10:45 AM

That picture brings back memories! We sold a fair number of squash bats in the '70s...most for use at USC(the original...South Carolina), a very few for Ft. Jackson Army Base. Thankfully, the vast majority were prestrung; but we did carry some tournament sticks that were sold frame only and a few customers wanted Victor Imperial Blue Spiral nat gut :) . We'd get the odd Grays racket in from time to time or even a Slazenger or two when the 'northerners' would come to town.If you take a look, that's a lot of strings in a very small space. Installing 15ga nat gut or Ashaway Vantage was NOT the highlight of any day!

Good news was most of the pre-strung bats broke from impact before needing restringing. ;)

And don't forget the terry cloth grips for those!!!
Ah, the good old days!

J011yroger 01-20-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7140711)
It's a squash stick....FYI Stu Goldstein was a top USA squash player from NY - played at Stony Brook U and was a pro in the late 70s.

Have you ever tried hitting a tennis ball with a squash stick! Doesn't work

I know what it is. I didn't just fall off the turnip cart.

J

coachrick 01-20-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7136271)

J

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7136294)
Do you think they would laugh me off the courts? Maybe I should try Columbia instead lol.

J

I think there's some subtle humor being missed. Just have the handle sticking out at NYSC and check the reactions.

Heck, I'd have just as good a chance with the Bancroft as I would with the most up-to-date bat. That is...NO chance. I swore off being enclosed in a walled space with others wielding such implements a LONG time ago! ;)

J011yroger 01-20-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7140952)
I think there's some subtle humor being missed. Just have the handle sticking out at NYSC and check the reactions.

Heck, I'd have just as good a chance with the Bancroft as I would with the most up-to-date bat. That is...NO chance. I swore off being enclosed in a walled space with others wielding such implements a LONG time ago! ;)

I'm not much of a squash player either, it is tough to find courts on the island, they are mostly in the city. NYSC has squash, and Columbia University does. Not sure if NYU or Fordham do.

Stonybrook doesn't anymore.

J