Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Did Lsver ever coach anyone? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451563)

timnz 01-19-2013 01:48 PM

Did Lsver ever coach anyone?

Just wondered......

I sometimes have wondered whether players who are naturals, make for poorer coaches. Things come so easily for them, they would 't know how to articulate something to pass onto others. Whereas players who had to struggle, had to learn bit by bit can convey the components much more readily because they have had to reflect on them a lot more.

Top coaches - roche, cahill, gilbert, annacone - guys who were very good players but not quite at the top.

Just a theory.

urban 01-20-2013 12:34 AM

Coach in tennis is not comparable to being coach in soccer or other team sports. The coach is a secondary figure who is paid by and depending on his pupil. Exception is the captain in Davis Cup, where dominant people like Hopman, Talbert, Noah or Pilic come to mind. I think really great players wouldn't risk their name by being hired and fired by a single player. Of course some exceptions like Connors or Lendl do exist.

Carsomyr 01-20-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 7136282)
Just wondered......

I sometimes have wondered whether players who are naturals, make for poorer coaches. Things come so easily for them, they would 't know how to articulate something to pass onto others. Whereas players who had to struggle, had to learn bit by bit can convey the components much more readily because they have had to reflect on them a lot more.

Top coaches - roche, cahill, gilbert, annacone - guys who were very good players but not quite at the top.

Just a theory.

You should add Stefanki to that list - a very good coach.

NonP 01-20-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 7136282)
Just wondered......

Just a theory.

Yes, that's why great players rarely make great coaches, and why people should think twice before citing their "expert" opinions on all things tennis/insert-other-sport-here to confirm their own bias.

In basketball we have the likes of Jackson, Riley, Auerbach and Popovich, none of whom would make the HoF on their resume as a player alone, in fact quite the opposite in the latter two's cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carsomyr (Post 7139824)
You should add Stefanki to that list - a very good coach.

Stefanki is the Phil Jackson of tennis, the kind of coach who helps players who are close to breaking through realize their full potential. But I'm not as impressed with his success over the long term. That's where Phil has him beat (and perhaps all the others).