Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Malia is into tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451571)

sureshs 01-19-2013 01:28 PM

Malia is into tennis

Malia Obama, 14, is playing #1 Varsity for her school. She is already 5'6" or something like that, but wanted to quit, but her mother made her continue.

db10s 01-19-2013 01:39 PM

Money will be thrown at the USTA.... Let's see if they catch it...

Now we need her racket specs and strings... And tension... lol

EDIT: Its a light blue frame... Head dampener...

sureshs 01-19-2013 02:57 PM

Mods, please ensure that hate posts in this thread are appropriately dealt with. This is about a celebrity junior playing tennis, and should be kept that way.

db10s 01-19-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7136548)
Mods, please ensure that hate posts in this thread are appropriately dealt with. This is about a celebrity junior playing tennis, and should be kept that way.

I wouldn't consider it "hate"........... But its gone now.... Why was everyone upset when the media was covering their trip to Cancun? But not this.

I'm tempted to make a thread called "(insert my name) is into tennis"

I play #1 Varsity on my school tennis team... In Boca nonetheless.

TCF 01-19-2013 03:49 PM

==========================

Overdrive 01-20-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7136364)
Malia Obama, 14, is playing #1 Varsity for her school. She is already 5'6" or something like that, but wanted to quit, but her mother made her continue.

I'm not actually sure whether that's a good thing or not because I don't know what the competition is like in the DC area...

Clintspin 01-20-2013 10:06 AM

The level of play in both public and private schools in the MD, DC, VA area can vary a whole lot. Usually, it's not that high. Top 40 Mid-Atlantic juniors would destroy most of the high school players. The exception is the few juniors that play for their high schools.

I wonder how she got that good. I thought that the president had the tennis courts at the White House taken out and turned into basketball courts. At least that is what I remember reading in an article about the history of tennis at the White House.

I would think the Tennis Center at College Park would be the best place for her to practice.

I wish her the best. It can only be a good thing for the sport of tennis.

Overdrive 01-20-2013 10:57 AM

I see.

I guess that The Mid-Atlantic section is one of the moderate ones compared to Texas and California.

NLBwell 01-21-2013 03:33 AM

Mid-Atlantic has some great players, but for a player to get very good, they have to have indoor facilities. There is a great disparity between the players training all year round and most high-school players who only play in the fair-weather months.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 03:51 AM

But there's a higher elevation in the Mid-Atlantic correct?
So don't they have more stamina/endurance than players in Texas per se?

maggmaster 01-21-2013 03:55 AM

That is the truth, I play in the North East and my club has had a couple pros come out of it over the last 4 or 5 years. The only reason that I can see that we are more successful than other clubs in our area is that our club offers an unlimited court time option for a reasonable price. There are kids there literally from the time that they get out of school until 8 when the adults usually start playing.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggmaster (Post 7143461)
That is the truth, I play in the North East and my club has had a couple pros come out of it over the last 4 or 5 years. The only reason that I can see that we are more successful than other clubs in our area is that our club offers an unlimited court time option for a reasonable price. There are kids there literally from the time that they get out of school until 8 when the adults usually start playing.

That's seems great.

Here, you have to make a reservation two days in advance to play in the courts...
:confused:

sureshs 01-21-2013 06:21 AM

I bet I can easily defeat her

NLBwell 01-21-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7143455)
But there's a higher elevation in the Mid-Atlantic correct?
So don't they have more stamina/endurance than players in Texas per se?

Most of it is by the Atlantic Ocean - not much altitude there.

Overdrive 01-21-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7144139)
Most of it is by the Atlantic Ocean - not much altitude there.

I was thinking about training up there during the summer to boost my stamina and endurance levels. :)

MeggieTennisGal 01-24-2013 09:19 AM

Malia has the perfect body for tennis -- tall and thin. Both parents are athletic, and I think Michelle's brother is a basketball coach. Lots of athletic genes in the family. I hope the poor kid is just left alone to enjoy her tennis and is not targeted for political reasons.