Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Taming the power of the 2013 APD (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=451578)

Dberger820 01-19-2013 02:29 PM

Taming the power of the 2013 APD

Hello everyone,

I have searched the forums and found a wealth of information but nothing for what I am running into exactly. I apologize in advance for creating another "what string do I use" thread, but I am very new to the world of stringing and value the opinions of this board very much.

I have run into a dilemma and need the help. I have the new 2013 APD and am really starting to groove with it. I've had it for 3 weeks. When I got it, I had it strung with RPM Blast 16 @ 53# on mains and Head FXP @ 55# on crosses. This set-up is proving to be an extremely comfortable set-up and I haven't experience an ounce of the pain that is generally associated with the APD or other stiff frames. The problem lies in the fact that this is simply too powerful of a set-up and I have trouble controlling it when I hit any flatter shots or touch shots at the net.

So here is where I need your help. I understand the easiest way to tame the power would be to up the tension on the strings. But this would also, I believe, invite the physical pains everyone seems to receive from these sticks. I am not partial to either of the strings currently in my set-up. I need some opinions on what the best solution is for this. Would I be able to increase the tension of the FXP, or would that just make it more powerful? I know that RPM isn't generally known as a "power" poly, but which poly would I want to go towards that may play similar but just doesn't carry as much power? I would also love to put in a full-bed of poly, but I am worried that this too would bring some arm pain. I am not partial towards any manufacturer or brand as I am new to trying out different set-ups.

Once again, thank you very much for reading my post and giving me your opinions.

Francis27 01-19-2013 02:42 PM

String the cross a little higher to either 56lbs or 57lbs and if you want you can string the RPM Blast 1-2 pounds higher. I would go with 55/58 or 59

db10s 01-19-2013 03:36 PM

Use Dunlop Black Widow.... Very low powered. Great string too.

Boricua 01-22-2013 06:36 AM

Try Polyfibre TCS 16 at 52 tension.

Fuji 01-22-2013 07:52 AM

I use Dunlop Ice / Gosen OG to tame the power at 52lbs in my APD. Ice is a deader poly and it really helps tame lively string beds.

-Fuji

anubis 01-22-2013 08:13 AM

I too suggest adjusting tension rather than changing strings altogether. If those tensions are too loose, then increase it by 2 lbs on both sides. 55/57

If that is still too powerful, then 57/59.

I don't recommend changing by more than 2 lbs at a given time, though.

Fuji 01-22-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7148196)
I too suggest adjusting tension rather than changing strings altogether. If those tensions are too loose, then increase it by 2 lbs on both sides. 55/57

If that is still too powerful, then 57/59.

I don't recommend changing by more than 2 lbs at a given time, though.

57/59 would be pretty tight for RPM though. I wouldn't go higher then 55lbs with it. Just from my personal experience, 55lbs is about as much as my arm could take.

-Fuji

Dberger820 01-23-2013 07:07 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses! I have a set of black widow that I got for Christmas so I'm happy to hear it should play well. I think first ill dial up the tension just a tad and see how the comfort is and go from there. I'd still love to hear what anyone else has to say!

MikeHitsHard93 01-23-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dberger820 (Post 7155687)
Thank you everyone for your responses! I have a set of black widow that I got for Christmas so I'm happy to hear it should play well. I think first ill dial up the tension just a tad and see how the comfort is and go from there. I'd still love to hear what anyone else has to say!

String the black widow @57 because the initial tension drop is huge. After that, it plays well